I’m telling you. don’t be surprised if Troy comes to save the day

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Listened to Aikmans podcast with Brad Sham this morning and he reiterated again he wants to get back into football and soon. And it would be in the Elway role.

I can see Jerry saying we’ve tried everything else, let’s let Troy run the team and be the guy who Will McClay reports to.

Lincoln Riley would be the HC and Troy takes the Elway role. McClay stays for one year of continuity and then leaves after Aikman gets a feel for his guys. He’s made a lot of good contacts over the years broadcasting.

Jerry also said after the game he has to do better as well.

I’m putting the odds of this happening at 15%.

Lincoln Riley as HC I believe calls to his agent start tonight to begin legwork. - 80% chance.

Don't hold your breath. Little Stephen has been promised this job since he was sucking on a pacifier. He can't wait to take over from his pappy and run this ship further into the ground.

SSoup

Reaction score
Troy is probably not a giant Jerry fan. Jerry shoved Barry Switzer and Chan Gailey down his throat and basically deep sixed the back half of Troy's career.
Gailey revived the offense (and the triplets, after they got bad by the end of Switzer's era) after it went stale. And he went to the playoffs each year here. Troy ignored those positives and backstabbed him, pushing for his firing so we could go back to the stale old offense he "felt more comfortable in." Troy's meddling is part of the reason why we ended up with Dave Campo and Jack Reilly.

Troy also signed off on blowing a 1st rounder on TE LaFleur. And I'm pretty sure I recall reading that he attended the workout and gave Jerry a thumbs up for one of those baseball-playing quarterbacks, Hutchinson or Henson. But, for Troy's sake, I hope I'm remembering that wrong.

Troy was a good player, but his eye for personnel? His sense of how to use resources? His head for coaching changes? Yikes.

Tells me he'd probably just be another Matt Millen-level failure if he tries to get into that line of work. It's not in his wheelhouse at all.

Being able to play football doesn't magically make you any good at scouting or making coaching hires or having an understanding of the economics or game theory involved in effectively using salary cap or draft resources.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Troy should look into politics. He has the looks, is articulate, the attention to detail and already has a huge fan base. Oh, and a squeaky clean background...

smitty313

Reaction score
Listened to Aikmans podcast with Brad Sham this morning and he reiterated again he wants to get back into football and soon. And it would be in the Elway role.

I can see Jerry saying we’ve tried everything else, let’s let Troy run the team and be the guy who Will McClay reports to.

Lincoln Riley would be the HC and Troy takes the Elway role. McClay stays for one year of continuity and then leaves after Aikman gets a feel for his guys. He’s made a lot of good contacts over the years broadcasting.

Lincoln Riley as HC I believe calls to his agent start tonight to begin legwork. - 80% chance.
Nice fanfiction but this has zero chance of actually happening

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath. Little Stephen has been promised this job since he was sucking on a pacifier. He can't wait to take over from his pappy and run this ship further into the ground.
I particularly enjoyed the shots of Stephen in the owner's box last night. Jerry looked disappointed and showed some emotion like usual, but Stephen looked like he was in complete shock.

He just couldn't believe the great team he put together couldn't play any better than that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see Jerry hiring part of his own legacy that he feels that he made it's development...Vanity or pride? I'm not sure.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Aikman doesn't strike me as a big fan of the Jones duo nor of how the franchise was/is run. I'm not sure, as Stephen called him, the "armchair" qb is coming to save the day unless its to play qb. Quite confident even 18 years retired that Troy is more accurate than young Rayne Dakota.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why would Will McClay report to Tory? Will McClay is the only good thing the front office has going for it.
he wouldn't because WillM is basically the GM/AST GM and Troy would be President of player personnel etc etc most likely.. they would work together, at least at first. Talent isn't the biggest issue here, bringing in Football guys to help pick the new coaching staff would be huge..

blueblood70

Reaction score

ID Faint, really jerry would give up control in a sense and well we all know how that works..How hot is the HC job here , is it coveted like it used to be or are our choices limited because of the Family Business and GM issues??

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Troy is probably not a giant Jerry fan. Jerry shoved Barry Switzer and Chan Gailey down his throat and basically deep sixed the back half of Troy's career.
I know that he isn't. He pretty much said it during his A Football Life episode that he retired because he felt that his legacy was being tarnished by Jerruh and co.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's a nice dream, but I don't think he would work for Jerry. Not sure Jerry cares for him either.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think today’s comments are a precursor of what’s coming.

I think today's comments took the chances of your fantasy becoming reality from 1.2% to 0.1%.

Aikman hated the Switzer era, Stephen's armchair comment was disrespectful, and today Troy basically said the coach doesn't matter as long as Jerry is running the organization his way.

If that's TA's idea of a job interview...:huh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I wouldn't count on it happening, but what a day that would be!

CB61

Reaction score

Good idea I don't know if Jerry would pull the trigger on this or not but it would make sense for him to let go of some of this control because his way ain't working that's for sure as far as the rumors of Sean Payton coming back I seriously doubt he would leave New Orleans unless he got kicked out of there which is highly unlikely hey I'm on board I've been saying all along we need a culture change and that would be a direct culture change