I agree with our inactivity in FA so far

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They've franchised him and offered him a contract. Ball is in his court. Not sure what else they can do at present.

Give me a break. 26 year old, team leader at a vital position. Sign the guy long term and quick screwing around. That tag is a slap in the face.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Sounds right.
I would think that the money being paid to FA's will slowly dwindle, not simply stop at the end of the week. I would think that some mid tier's would start signing in the next day or so.

Yes, it will dwindle but their are still top tier players who will be signing this week and maybe some even next week.

I think your mid tier viewpoint is off a week which is usually week two and beyond with a few exceptions.

The state of free agency is fluid not static, there are always exceptions and variance.

Stephen has said in recent years after two weeks the prices come down and then they look at shopping, usually a few mid tier players are around then the bargain bin guys they like to sign are a focus.

kskboys

Reaction score
Give me a break. 26 year old, team leader at a vital position. Sign the guy long term and quick screwing around. That tag is a slap in the face.
They're trying. He wants more than he's worth. A contract for as much as he's begging for could easily strap this team for years and prevent future moves.

The tag is not a slap. It's very high pay. They've got you brainwashed to think that way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And really, Philly didn't either. I think their only big $ signing was Alshon Jeffery on a 1 year deal for $14m - they subsequently extended him late in the year. Their other significant signing was Chris Long, but it was 2 years at something like $3m per year and $400k bonus, but only the 1st year guaranteed. I wouldn't categorize that as a big $ FA contract. The Eagle use FA to sprinkle a little seasoning onto a quality roster built intrinsically.

The Rams are probably the better example and it got them to the SB, albeit only because of a horrible non-call.
Yes, Philly would be a stretch.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, it will dwindle but their are still top tier players who will be signing this week and maybe some even next week.

I think your mid tier viewpoint is off a week which is usually week two and beyond with a few exceptions.

The state of free agency is fluid not static, there are always exceptions and variance.

Stephen has said in recent years after two weeks the prices come down and then they look at shopping, usually a few mid tier players are around then the bargain bin guys they like to sign are a focus.
Dang, it takes that long? Guess I'll have to pay more attention.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Dang, it takes that long? Guess I'll have to pay more attention.
Honestly, it really does take a few weeks for the market to settle, Stephen has repeatedly stated this in off season interviews.

Really not trying to be difficult, it is just the case.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They're trying. He wants more than he's worth. A contract for as much as he's begging for could easily strap this team for years and prevent future moves.

The tag is not a slap. It's very high pay. They've got you brainwashed to think that way.

Sometimes you frustrate me. I am not brainwashed. The market is the market. That is reality. You and I can suck our thumbs until they fall off but that will not change the prevailing price for a star DE. Procrastinating can hurt you as the Collins contract drove every defender’s price tag higher. The idiot GM and his son should understand that. Let me ask you this - Lawrence leaves, how do you replace him? 23 years and counting. The OL getting older. QB getting more expensive. At some point they need to go for it. This window is 2-3 years. That’s it.

You don’t see this?

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly, it really does take a few weeks for the market to settle, Stephen has repeatedly stated this in off season interviews.

Really not trying to be difficult, it is just the case.
No, I get you. I truthfully didn't know. I thought mid tier's started right away after the initial frenzy. No big deal!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Sometimes you frustrate me. I am not brainwashed. The market is the market. That is reality. You and I can suck our thumbs until they fall off but that will not change the prevailing price for a star DE. Procrastinating can hurt you as the Collins contract drove every defender’s price tag higher. The idiot GM and his son should understand that. Let me ask you this - Lawrence leaves, how do you replace him? 23 years and counting. The OL getting older. QB getting more expensive. At some point they need to go for it. This window is 2-3 years. That’s it.

You don’t see this?
I do, and I want us to sign him. However, he's wanting a cap strapping, team debilitating amount, it appears. I don't believe in simply paying players whatever, as it generally hurts you long term. I wish I knew what their first offer was that DLaw called a lowball.

Sorry for the frustration.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I do, and I want us to sign him. However, he's wanting a cap strapping, team debilitating amount, it appears. I don't believe in simply paying players whatever, as it generally hurts you long term. I wish I knew what their first offer was that DLaw called a lowball.

Sorry for the frustration.

Lose him and get ready for another run of 8-9 win seasons until the roster really turns over. Then we can look forward to top 10 picks again.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I'd be fine w/ it, as long as we don't have to overpay. What sort of contract is he projected to get?
I haven't see the details on James but I know Philly gave Malik 3 for 30 million. I thought that was reasonable for a 1-Tech who can help you win or get to the championship round on your interior. I just want to see our brainstrust take the defensive line seriously outside of edge rushers. Malik on a short term deal is something that I like.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
This draft is loaded at TE. This is the year to draft one while they can learn from Witten.

We can probably get a dynamic TE in the 2nd or 3rd.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So far. A couple of nice mid tier FA's would be nice, now that the feeding frenzy has ended.

Overpaying right at the start of FA seldom works out.
HEY KSK, are you by any chance Mickey Spagnola? Just checkin...;)

Johnny23

Reaction score
This draft is loaded at TE. This is the year to draft one while they can learn from Witten.

We can probably get a dynamic TE in the 2nd or 3rd.
Irv Smith
Noah Fant
TJ Hockenson are the cream of the crop in this class. They could all go round one. There's other good ones but I would want one of these three.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
While I want to improve, I disagree w/ that strategy.

Jesse James? Is it his low catch numbers, low TD numbers, or low start numbers that intrigues you?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse James is a #2 TE. PITT likes him so much that they traded for McDonald in 18.
+5 points for very nice use of sarcasm.

-2 points for excessive use of exclamation points.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The tipping point will be soon.

We will be sifting through the dregs in no time. Just like last year.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Has Cobb signed anywhere? Was listening to the radio and someone said Dallas was talking with him.

Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Brown, Hurns, Austin isn't bad. Maybe even let Austin go and draft a guy
Cobb is washed up! He is bum who can't stay healthy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Ty Montgomery is versatile, which we covet. Watch him. Carl Davis is another under the radar guy that's really good. Parnell would be a nice get.