I agree with our inactivity in FA so far

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This draft is loaded at TE. This is the year to draft one while they can learn from Witten.

We can probably get a dynamic TE in the 2nd or 3rd.

We’ve got bigger needs than TE to use our top draft picks on. We can at least see upside in Jarwin and Schultz, but DT is mired in the same stagnant state as it has been in for years. We also don’t have a viable #3 receiver, and for now have a serious concern at DE as well.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Irv Smith
Noah Fant
TJ Hockenson are the cream of the crop in this class. They could all go round one. There's other good ones but I would want one of these three.

You're right about where those TE's will probably go. That means defensive players fall then where this is as deep a d-line class as there's been in a while as well. D-Line and TE's are where this draft seems loaded. Both our needs.

Back to TE. I would take this guy in the late 2nd-3rd where he is slated to go in a heartbeat. Played at Texas A&M and is an Oklahoma kid. Two things our FO seem to like. The best part is he gets in the end zone. He's a TD machine. Blocks and moves the chains like Witten too.

His attitude? Team first and I'll mention again, just because he catches the ball doesn't mean he doesn't take his blocking seriously. Again, winning first, not his stats that he puts up. This kid is a consensus all American as a junior in a TE class like this.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Pretty sad when free agency is not even officially on and we are reduced to talking about what guys we think we might have a shot at with the 58th pick in the draft.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
We’ve got bigger needs than TE to use our top draft picks on. We can at least see upside in Jarwin and Schultz, but DT is mired in the same stagnant state as it has been in for years. We also don’t have a viable #3 receiver, and for now have a serious concern at DE as well.

I want d-line with our 2nd rounder. This class is loaded and I foresee a very good player being there. I agree with your take on Jarwin and Shultz but they still need work. There's a player at TE I can see helping us greatly in the TD department where we have issues in the red zone and he may be available in the 3rd. That's where I'd take a TE.

Back to edge rusher. It takes time for these guys to develop more so than TE so I'm not adverse to getting one in FA like a Robert Quinn as a situational pass rusher when when he gets cut. There are also other vets that are available that we can look mat once the market cools down.

I think we can find a very good DT that can give us a lot of snaps in late round 2, but DE not right away at that pick. We spent a 1st on Taco whether we think he's a burn out or not and Dorance Armstrong is on this team also. If Lawrence doesn't sign we obviously are trading him for picks. I think we get the deal done. Picking up a vet pass rusher then with a good DT pick in the draft does a lot to strengthen the D-Line.

But 2 get 2 starters by mid season out of a draft where you don't have a 1st round pick and pick in the bottom 8 of every round at positions of need, you have to be happy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So far. A couple of nice mid tier FA's would be nice, now that the feeding frenzy has ended.

Overpaying right at the start of FA seldom works out.
I’d agree but part of FA is signing our own players. We’ve let Beasley go. Any others you’d let go assuming you agreed with that ?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pretty sad when free agency is not even officially on and we are reduced to talking about what guys we think we might have a shot at with the 58th pick in the draft.

Although I am thinking of the draft there is a point to what you are saying.

But FA does not officially start until 4 pm tomorrow. I think we're in a very good position to get an Earl Thomas if we want him and he's rational. I also think we will get other vets that will assist this team in area's of need once the market cools down and more roster cuts and/or trades transpire like the Robert Quinn's of the world.

Furthermore, in addition to the draft, June 1st cuts are part of the off-season and also 53 man roster trim downs. So expect to hear talk about the whole spectrum of the off-season from the big picture fans as everyone of those variables weigh on the roster decisions of teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d agree but part of FA is signing our own players. We’ve let Beasley go. Any others you’d let go assuming you agreed with that ?
I liked Beas, don't love him. Didn't think we should pay what he thought he was worth.

Haven't looked. Who else is a FA?

kskboys

Reaction score
I want d-line with our 2nd rounder. This class is loaded and I foresee a very good player being there. I agree with your take on Jarwin and Shultz but they still need work. There's a player at TE I can see helping us greatly in the TD department where we have issues in the red zone and he may be available in the 3rd. That's where I'd take a TE.

Back to edge rusher. It takes time for these guys to develop more so than TE so I'm not adverse to getting one in FA like a Robert Quinn as a situational pass rusher when when he gets cut. There are also other vets that are available that we can look mat once the market cools down.

I think we can find a very good DT that can give us a lot of snaps in late round 2, but DE not right away at that pick. We spent a 1st on Taco whether we think he's a burn out or not and Dorance Armstrong is on this team also. If Lawrence doesn't sign we obviously are trading him for picks. I think we get the deal done. Picking up a vet pass rusher then with a good DT pick in the draft does a lot to strengthen the D-Line.

But 2 get 2 starters by mid season out of a draft where you don't have a 1st round pick and pick in the bottom 8 of every round at positions of need, you have to be happy.
Draft is also very deep at S, which is rare.

I'd prolly go S w/ our 2nd. Maybe Mike Bell will slide.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft and potential free agent signings have to both be looked at when determining how to best fill needs.

cern

Reaction score
throwing good money after bad is not a prudent way to run free agency. business is made up of little pictures and big pictures. Stephen gets the big picture. for this we are fortunate. even if the majority of fans don't.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Draft is also very deep at S, which is rare.

I'd prolly go S w/ our 2nd. Maybe Mike Bell will slide.

Not top tier talent it's not. If that was the case you wouldn't see these safeties getting paid the way they are in this FA class. The teams would rather draft the safeties then spend like this. I think we get E.T and luck out for all this waiting we did since last draft.

D-Line is where I would go 2nd round. See what's there in the 3rd at D-Line and TE. I wouldn't mind if we went DT picks 2 and 3 and let Crawford go. Help pay for Lawrence and a speed DE to rotate with Taco on pass rush 3rd downs. Collins, Woods (who is our 1 tech( and 2 young DT's 2nd, 3rd rounders that can compete at 3 tech. Young line but talent and depth. Lawrence has the leadership and played with worse last season.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right!

If we use our early resources for TE , we aren’t looking to win now. Lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree with our inactivity in FA so far
AND crap sandwiches taste like steak dinner.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not top tier talent it's not. If that was the case you wouldn't see these safeties getting paid the way they are in this FA class. The teams would rather draft the safeties then spend like this. I think we get E.T and luck out for all this waiting we did since last draft.

D-Line is where I would go 2nd round. See what's there in the 3rd at D-Line and TE. I wouldn't mind if we went DT picks 2 and 3 and let Crawford go. Help pay for Lawrence and a speed DE to rotate with Taco on pass rush 3rd downs. Collins, Woods (who is our 1 tech( and 2 young DT's 2nd, 3rd rounders that can compete at 3 tech. Young line but talent and depth. Lawrence has the leadership and played with worse last season.
It really depends on who slides. There are several S's w/ the requisite lateral agility, burst, and instincts who could make it to our slot.

Mike Bell
Jaquan Johnson
Johnathon Abram

Difference makers are mostly gone by the 1st, often early in the 1st. These guys can all play and would be a great addition. As much as I like DLine, who are you thinking will be there who is a huge upgrade?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I liked Beas, don't love him. Didn't think we should pay what he thought he was worth.

Haven't looked. Who else is a FA?
D Law potentially if he doesn’t sign franchise tag.

Id prob agree on Beasley but that does leave a need open .

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Reportedly, Trey Flowers is expected to set the market anywhere from $17 mil to $19 mil, which would average out to less than what we were going to pay this year under the franchise tag, which was to be set at $20.5 million. It seems to me to be a waiting game that the FO is playing at this time, in the hope that the market will be set by Flowers for considerably less than the aforementioned 2019 franchise tag ($20.5 mil.) We shall see.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
EDIT: Trey Flowers has been given a 5-year contract for $90 million by the Lions with $40 mil guaranteed at signing. At an average of $18 mil, that's $2.5 mil less than what Demarcus Lawrence was set to receive via his 2019 franchise tag. Let's see if that sets the market for future deals.

kevm3

Reaction score
throwing good money after bad is not a prudent way to run free agency. business is made up of little pictures and big pictures. Stephen gets the big picture. for this we are fortunate. even if the majority of fans don't.

What 'big picture' does Stephen get? We were headed towards top ten pick until daddy Jerry traded for Amari. Now he's made Lawrence mad by tagging him and probably shot his price up higher.