I am a diehard cowboy fan but right now I got Steeler envy.

btcutter

Reaction score
Wow, I am sure most everyone is impressed with the Steelers last night, especially their version of 3-4 defense. First two drives the Steelers offense gave the Skins the ball in Steeler territory but Skins can only muster 2 FGs. That D imposed its will on the Skins. Very impressive!! Why haven't we built a D similar to Steelers, Titans and Raven's....didn't we spent like 10 1st rounders on D?

Ben goes down and Leftwich comes in and plays better than Ben and leads Steelers to a win...............damn...that's just plain wrong because we have WHO as backup????

Steelers got the ageless Hines Ward and functional receivers...but still manage to go deep.......Steelers didn't go spent $$$$$$$$$$ on every position on the FA market but still sports one of the best teams in NFL....

Why...Why...Why....
I conclude it's JJ. It's really all on JJ. Yes, we got a softie for coach...but he hired him....He had Parcells (hardass) prior to that too....didn't matter either.

To me, JJ IS A FOOTBALL FAN JUST LIKE US EXCEPT HE HAS OVER A BILLION DOLLARS AND OWNS THE TEAM. HE LET'S HIS IMPULSE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS JUST LIKE AN AVERAGE JOE. I applaud him for able to carry out his fantasy because he is successful but he needs to realize he is killing the team.

Only way to fix what we have in Dallas is to hire a real GM and hire Bill Cowher. We need the attitude of the team to completely change. We need to play down and dirty football and win games 10-9 instead of being the pretty boy and play finesse football by scoring 40 a game in the regular season but can't put up 28 in the playoffs.

Enough rant! Season isn't lost yet but JJ need to realize that HE IS THE PROBLEM and HE ALSO POSSESS THE ABILITY TO SOLVE IT.

stiletto

Reaction score
If/When they jettison Wade and his crew of bafoons, we should strongly consider going after a good assistant to Lebeau at Pittsburgh, one of his younger assistants that has been there awhile and can implement similar schemes and philosophies.

DTK

Reaction score
You must not be very old for if you were you'd NEVER have Steeler envy.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is some validity to what you say but I think the problem is deeper than any one person. There are a number of possible reasons and excuses for the situation the Cowboys are in now, but those matter very little at this point.

In the end, Parcells was right. You are what you are. Jerry is a heavily involved owner and will always be. The players are over-hyped and sloppy. The coaching staff is too hard some years and too soft others.

The grass is always greener somewhere else and last night, it was on the Steelers' side. Last week, the Steelers looked average at best against the Giants and this week they look like the AFC's Super Bowl team. The Cowboys looked pathetic against the Rams two weeks ago, solid against the Buccaneers and then pathetic again against the Giants.

It really comes down to the results more than anything else. When your team plays well, all is well in the world. When they play badly and lose, all the teams that win that week are awesome along with their coaching staffs and team owners.

-Reality

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You want to know why? The Steelers players are tough as nails, they play a hard-nosed agressive style of defense that comes from a competant coaching staff that actually has confidence in its players. They let their DBs man up one on one and then stunt their DL and LBs constantly putting pressure on the QB. Since he has to get rid of the ball quickly, the WRs don't have time to go deep and usually don't have enough time to even get open.

On the other hand, Dallas plays a very passive zone type 3-4 defense that has holes everywhere and since they don't create pressure, its easy for the offense to exploit those holes both running and throwing. Our coaches don't seem to have the confidence to let the DBs play man to man and let the others get after the QB. The players can sense this lack of confidence and it shows up on the field. Our head coach is as soft as they come and its widely known that teams in all sports take on the personality of their head coach. So their you have your answer. The players are soft, are not mentally tough, are playing a very passive defense, don't have the confidence of their coaches, and are playing for a very soft coach who can't inspire anyone to go out and perform. There is no amount of talent that can win under those conditions.

btcutter

Reaction score
Reality;2399389 said:
There is some validity to what you say but I think the problem is deeper than any one person. There are a number of possible reasons and excuses for the situation the Cowboys are in now, but those matter very little at this point.

In the end, Parcells was right. You are what you are. Jerry is a heavily involved owner and will always be. The players are over-hyped and sloppy. The coaching staff is too hard some years and too soft others.

The grass is always greener somewhere else and last night, it was on the Steelers' side. Last week, the Steelers looked average at best against the Giants and this week they look like the AFC's Super Bowl team. The Cowboys looked pathetic against the Rams two weeks ago, solid against the Buccaneers and then pathetic again against the Giants.

It really comes down to the results more than anything else. When your team plays well, all is well in the world. When they play badly and lose, all the teams that win that week are awesome along with their coaching staffs and team owners.

-Reality

You are right. It's more than just one person. It's the organization. However, the one with the most power is the OWN/GM. JJ wants the credit for winner but he'll need to accept the responsibility for losing. He wants to take his chances with Pacman and Tank so be it. He want to have the final say on draft choices and FAs.....He is also the one who hire our coaches.

What I am saying is that everything starts at the TOP. JJ is a great owner but he needs to realize that he needs to let a seasoned GM do the managing and take this team back to the promise land. JJ still can help the GM by giving him infinite resources and letting him know that you got a owner who'll do everything to win BUT he simply cannot overrun the GM.

Yes, I understand the up and downs of a NFL season but I also know that probably isn't a single person who wouldn't trade our entire D for the Steeler D right now. We'll even settle for the coaches.

stiletto

Reaction score
Reality;2399389 said:

-Reality

I understand your logic but Pittsburgh's defense is solid EVERY year. Sure they have a "couple" games here and there that they don't play well but overall they are always tough, disciplined, tackle amazingly, and make very few mental errors year in and year out. They always compete and help get their team to the playoffs. Sure they have lapses but if you sit back and look at all the defenses in the league the most consistent overall has been Pittsburgh and Baltimore. They are doing "something" right. The Cowboys are not.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stiletto;2399427 said:
I understand your logic but Pittsburgh's defense is solid EVERY year. Sure they have a "couple" games here and there that they don't play well but overall they are always tough, disciplined and make very few mental errors year in and year out. They always compete and help get their team to the playoffs. Sure they have lapses but if you sit back and look at all the defenses in the league the most consistent overall has been Pittsburgh and Baltimore overall. They are doing "something" right. The Cowboys are not.
Oh I agree! I'm very jealous when I see a defense that is aggressive yet smart and one that tackles so much better than the Cowboys. However, I think the reason they are so much more sound is related to what I said above. The problems are in many areas, not just one.

That football game last night was a really good game and was more true to the spirit of football than many I have seen lately. There were so many hard hits and tackles from both teams that it truly was a prime example of "smashmouth football" which is rare these days.

-Reality

stiletto

Reaction score
SteelStan86;2399623 said:
i agree with you bro.......well i am a steelers fan and i am a cowboys fan...one of dick leabus guru is Keith Butler..steelers lb coach.................http://news.steelers.com/team/coach/49260/

This is the type of assistant that you hire and give a promotion to. Not some 1 year wonder or 60 year old re-tread. This guy has skins on the wall. Jerry. Wake The H3ll up!!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Oh! THank God you typed "Steeler" envy...................Whew! :cool:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality;2399389 said:

-Reality

This really sums up the entire situation. Results are the name of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers look like bums as the season progresses and the Cowboys turn it around. Stranger things have happened. And nobody would remember any of this at that point, except to gloat about those who were wrong.

Everson24

Reaction score
DTK;2399376 said:
You must not be very old for if you were you'd NEVER have Steeler envy.

I live in Steeler country and even root for them to lose even when it would help us out (IE aginst the Eagles, Giants and now the Commanders).

But I must admit every time I watch their defense play I do get envious. I like the way they all fly to the football and dictate to the offense rather than play the way we do where we are always reacting to the opposing teams offense. We also seem to be a step behind in everything we do.

Yes I do envy the Steelers esp. when we've invested so much more in our defense over the years only to see it flop again and again.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do seem to be a step behind, especially in the pass rush. It kills me week after week. We're either offsides because we're too early or the QB has all day because we're too late. And even when one of our guys gets to the QB, he politely takes him down and sometimes helps him up afterwards. Maybe we do need an injection of nasty on D.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I live in Steelers country too, and am forced to watch them each week as they are on every week. I root against them but I still watch.

I have respect and admiration for how they show up to play week in and week out. They may lose but rarely do they come out and get handled because they weren't ready.

It was that way with Cowhers teams and now too.

They show up every game and bust you in the mouth, .. I wish I could say the same about the Cowboys, I really do.

I envy that.

I don't hate the Steelers org as much as I can't stand their fans. They rub me the wrong way.

My hope upon hope is that somehow we find a way to beat them Dec. 7th.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2400201 said:
Maybe we do need an injection of nasty on D.

I've been meaning to ask this, not just of you BoyzMamacita, but of everyone on the board.

Who do you think on our Defense is ... nasty!

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2400214 said:
I've been meaning to ask this, not just of you BoyzMamacita, but of everyone on the board.

nobody. maybe spencer at best.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;2400214 said:

Ratliff, but he would be a more nasty at defensive end than at nose tackle in my opinion.

btcutter

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;2400214 said:

Nobody. Roy Williams during his first two seasons here until he became a complete Cowboy....a softie.

When was the last time this D put on a highlight film type of hit on somebody?????

We tackle but rarely delivers a blow. ....oh...and we aren't even very good at tackling.

This team lack attitude and toughness.