I am convinced Wade/Garret are holding back some things

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
After our poor performance the 2nd time through the division last year...I think the coaching staff is holding back some things for later in the season. I think some of the stuff they are doing is an attempt to set the team up to do some different things down the road. Both of these guys have been in the buiness a long time. Both of these guys have a better understanding of the personell than they did last year.

Jason used to move TO all over the field last year....why all of a sudden would he stop doing that? Additonally, Crayton and Hurd's productivity is way down. Couple this with the fact that Jerry said there will be no trade before the deadlines for WRs. I hope this all means that we have the guys and the scheme and the coaches to take this to another level before the final chapter is written on the 2008 Dallas Cowboys.

And I am sure Wade knows that lining DeMarcus Ware up and asking him to speed rush from the outside is getting old and redundant. I am sure he hears all the criticism for the soft zone coverage. I think what we see today will be different from what we will see as the season progresses and Pac Man, Jenkins and Scandrick get more acclimated to there new environment.

It is a pretty good testament to this team that we get everyone's "Super Bowl" like performance and still find a way to win with our inconsistent play. I think this will actually help us this December. This coaching and this team will actually have anotehr gear come December.

Be encouraged fellow zoners...stop letting the margin of victory shape your opinion. I am not excited with how we have played...but we have won. When we start playing and coaching to our potential (and I believe we will)...the margin of victory will take care of itself.

Until then just keep stacking wins. Regular season success will not be how this team is judged. Playoffs. So weather the ups and downs of the regular season...and be prepared to see our boyz show a gear they have not shown in playoffs past!

2much2soon

Reaction score
The fact that Dallas hasn't put together a start to finish, top notch performance and still has won is the thing that impresses me. And they played very, very poorly against one of the hottest teams in the league and lost by 2.
I'd much rather be uneven at this point in the season and get hot near the end.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I would say it's a good possibility Wade and Garret are holding back a few things.

We know we are going to see the same defensive scheme from here on out until we prove we can beat it. The Giants for sure will play us basically the same way as they did in the playoff game.

I would certainly hope we have a few sets, plays, etc. to counter the doubling of Witten and TO. The best way to defeat it is to have Austin, Crayton, and Hurd to step up and become a force in our offense.

I would also hope we do not get to cute holding back a few things and blow a game we should win. The way the NFC East is stacking up we will need ever W possible.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
2much2soon;2317205 said:
The fact that Dallas hasn't put together a start to finish, top notch performance and still has won is the thing that impresses me.

It impresses you that they still manage to allow teams to stay in games they have no business being in? It impresses you that they are wildly inconsistent?

And they played very, very poorly against one of the hottest teams in the league and lost by 2.

At home. Against a division rival.

I'd much rather be uneven at this point in the season and get hot near the end.

I'd much rather have a defense that is capable of stopping opposing offenses. I get scared to death when I watch this defense -- Carson Palmer is playing like **** and he still sliced and diced us in the second half. And runners are tearing off big gainers at an all too frequent rate. Think about it -- how many times did the Bengals offense let us off the hook by getting some ridiculous penalty on a big gainer?

This defense is incredibly soft and playing like total **** right now. As I said, the stats don't tell the whole story because the Bengals offense handed our defense a lot. Anyone who can't see that is *****' blind.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
There's no doubt that they're holding back some things.

The loss to the Skins sent them a message that they'd been holding back a little too much.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40;2317230 said:
I would say it's a good possibility Wade and Garret are holding back a few things.

We know we are going to see the same defensive scheme from here on out until we prove we can beat it. The Giants for sure will play us basically the same way as they did in the playoff game.

I would certainly hope we have a few sets, plays, etc. to counter the doubling of Witten and TO. The best way to defeat it is to have Austin, Crayton, and Hurd to step up and become a force in our offense.

I would also hope we do not get to cute holding back a few things and blow a game we should win. The way the NFC East is stacking up we will need ever W possible.
they already did that against the skins.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
there are a few posters on here who post incred insight and actually think through it forming their own informed opinions. bbailey is one of them. i agree in full man . the real season starts NOV 2

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2317400 said:
I don't think they are.
if what we've seen is all we got...then Jerry has no one but himself to blame. He gets an F for making Garrett the highest paid assistant in the NFL. Because again I ask you....could we have done what the Giants did without Plaxico...if we played Seattle without TO. And I have never heard anyone call Kevin Gilbride a genuis. Jerry would get an F for extending Hamlin. Jerry would get an F for giving Terrance Newman 50M. Jerry would get an F for selecting Mike Jenkins with a 1st round pick...who looks no better than the guy we got in the 5th round. Jerry gets an F for giving Flo another 30+M. Jerry gets an F for giving Barber 40+M. What I am trying to say is if this is all we got...then Jerry has done a bad job evaluating talent and coaches. So again, I would like to think we got more to offer than we have shown thus far.....because what we have shown thus far does not require all the money and 1st round picks we spent to get it.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2317641 said:
if what we've seen is all we got...then Jerry has no one but himself to blame. He gets an F for making Garrett the highest paid assistant in the NFL. Because again I ask you....could we have done what the Giants did without Plaxico...if we played Seattle without TO. And I have never heard anyone call Kevin Gilbride a genuis. Jerry would get an F for extending Hamlin. Jerry would get an F for giving Terrance Newman 50M. Jerry would get an F for selecting Mike Jenkins with a 1st round pick...who looks no better than the guy we got in the 5th round. Jerry gets an F for giving Flo another 30+M. Jerry gets an F for giving Barber 40+M. What I am trying to say is if this is all we got...then Jerry has done a bad job evaluating talent and coaches. So again, I would like to think we got more to offer than we have shown thus far.....because what we have shown thus far does not require all the money and 1st round picks we spent to get it.
the length and amount of the newman contract gets him an f that was a horrible signing i dont think t new at his age is worth that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So maybe there is a method to the madness in Wade?
That maybe he is playing his cards close to the vest?
That he might come to the rescue of Jason?
That maybe he is really a defensive genius but is holding back?

....?....?
Naw

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
bbailey423;2317153 said:
I am convinced Wade/Garret are holding back some things
Yup.

Wade's poor coaching is holding back the franchise and it's 53-man roster.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2317247 said:
It impresses you that they still manage to allow teams to stay in games they have no business being in? It impresses you that they are wildly inconsistent?

At home. Against a division rival.

I'd much rather have a defense that is capable of stopping opposing offenses. I get scared to death when I watch this defense -- Carson Palmer is playing like **** and he still sliced and diced us in the second half. And runners are tearing off big gainers at an all too frequent rate. Think about it -- how many times did the Bengals offense let us off the hook by getting some ridiculous penalty on a big gainer?

This defense is incredibly soft and playing like total **** right now. As I said, the stats don't tell the whole story because the Bengals offense handed our defense a lot. Anyone who can't see that is *****' blind.

Oh yeah. His whole 217 (And it only took him a mere 39 attempts to get there too) yards was REALLY devastating and slicing us to pieces.

Please.

While you're pointing out that the stats don't bear the whole story how about you mention how the Bengals got to start a couple of their scoring drives on our end of the field after an INT and two long Kick off returns. But, no, that would be too logical and wouldn't serve the purpose of simply frying the defense as if they allowed 500 yards and allowed the Bengals to drive the length of the field for scores all day long.

MONT17

Reaction score
the defense doesn't reek because Teams and O reek? Is that the problem?

David276

Benched
Reaction score
last years giants are probably the best example of this. They coasted through the season in a way then their d coor turned up the heat when it got cold out as he learned his team better . adn the rest is history. winning the first half of the season looks cool. until you lose in the play offs or have a melt down

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Everyone was saying the exact same thing last December and it turns out that it was not the case.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I was convinced Parcells was holding stuff back too. I guess he was waiting to use it in Miami.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
chinch;2317893 said:
Yup.

Wade's poor coaching is holding back the franchise and it's 53-man roster.

Lmao! The coach that is 17-4 is a poor coach?? Wait, I forgot, every loss is because of Wade and every victory is because of Garrett. Continue looking stupid, I'll step aside.. ;)

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I remember this sentiment being voiced when Zim was the DC.

"This can't be all we have! He must have something up his sleeve..."

The only thing up his sleeve turned out to be his arm. For some reason our D just isn't that good. I think by virtue of our being fans of the team our perceptions of these players is colored. D Ware is fast for his size and quick. He is not a great pass-rusher or tackler, though. If his speed doesn't get him around the corner of the tackle he is stymied. Nobody on our D-line is the kind of guy that other teams look at and say 'Wow, I wish he were on our team!' They are average. At this point, RW is a detriment. He was never that great in coverage and now that he found God or whatever he doesn't decleat people. That was his only saving grace! Pac and Tnew are above average, Hamlin has yet to show he deserved the money JJ gave him. Ellis is steady if unspectacular. Zach Thomas is good.

If you add all that up our defensive personnel grade out at about a C+.

I love our team, I just think that there is definitely room for improvement on that D. (And yes, I realize I left out Bradie James. The less said about him the better.)