I am so tired of hearing about Dak Contract from all these talking heads

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This post is more of just being a Dallas Cowboy fan and being frustrated so cut me some slack. I am just so tired of hearing about Dak Contract from all these talking heads and predicting what the price should be and that Dak has all the power etc. The last thing I saw today was $40 million for a 3 year deal. Media are like enjoying that he going to be or should be a $40 million player. A part of me says...Sign him and move forward......but 40 million is a lot of cash with not way to spread signing bonus or anything. I just don't get it. I wish we would have lost games and been in a position to draft Wilson.....I really do..... Honestly I think for the first time that JJ might just trade him or something ...I just don't feel confident. I have been a fan since 77......I remember Dorsett holding out....I remember Smith holding out....all of those where..it's going to happen. I just don't see that with Dak. I like him I support him, but we haven't got close to a Championship Game....What happens if in 3 years...we still are a middle team because of the salary hit...do they sign him again.....I would appreciate comments to see what are you thoughts....What is the consensus.....Thanks.

Most talking heads are not cowboy fans. We have Colin Cowherd and Skip. All these other guys basically root against us and take positions that advocate we do the dumbest thing possible.

Flamma

Reaction score
This post is more of just being a Dallas Cowboy fan and being frustrated so cut me some slack. I am just so tired of hearing about Dak Contract from all these talking heads and predicting what the price should be and that Dak has all the power etc. The last thing I saw today was $40 million for a 3 year deal. Media are like enjoying that he going to be or should be a $40 million player. A part of me says...Sign him and move forward......but 40 million is a lot of cash with not way to spread signing bonus or anything. I just don't get it. I wish we would have lost games and been in a position to draft Wilson.....I really do..... Honestly I think for the first time that JJ might just trade him or something ...I just don't feel confident. I have been a fan since 77......I remember Dorsett holding out....I remember Smith holding out....all of those where..it's going to happen. I just don't see that with Dak. I like him I support him, but we haven't got close to a Championship Game....What happens if in 3 years...we still are a middle team because of the salary hit...do they sign him again.....I would appreciate comments to see what are you thoughts....What is the consensus.....Thanks.

Just nitpicking, but Smith didn't hold out. He wasn't under contract. This Cowboys team is nothing like the Dorsett's or Smith's.

As far as signing him, with our cap space it doesn't look good. If they sign Dak, Dallas might find room to sign Gregory, trade Gallup, and let everyone else walk and replace them with rookies. That's ridiculous. Hill, LVE, Connor Williams, Armstrong, Shultz, Darian Thompson, gone after 2021. If we're going to rebuild, do it the right way.

Buffalo did it the right way. Build your team while the QB is on a rookie deal. Now they're a good team and they can sign Allen. Ditto for Cleveland. Cinci is in the process. The Cowboys suck right now. We're doing it backwards if they sign Dak long term.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
It doesnt matter what dak gets, or if they sign him cowboys will still not get past div round.
this is just what fans dont get it really dont matter if they sign him or not they still wont get past the divisional round until the gm and front office is changed this team is doomed

Rayman70

Reaction score
truth is, the talking heads have no clue what is really going on in these talks. Neither do we. The only ones that really know is team Dak and team Jerrah lol
giphy.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
No team will give him 37? Hmm should I believe you or the NFL agent?

no Jeff..NO...he cannot and won't be able to "name his price." Which is why we still haven't signed him. His agent has this same mindset and its a deal breaker. Dak needs to be tagged and traded if the stalemate continues. Dak needs to get rid of Todd France.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is a 34-37 mil per year QB.. Not a 40 million per guy. Until his agent understands this, a deal will never happen. This may be heading towards a tag and trade.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I really hope they try and just draft one... because we really need to sink that $40mil a year in a plethora of other places.
I like how people keep saying this as if a) his cap hit is going be $40m and b) the new quarterback is going to play for free.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Biggest Dak fan here...

$40 million is waaaay too much. It will hurt this team's ability to afford to build a SB capable team.

$32 - $35 is plenty enough for Dak and best for the team.

I agree with this. My thought is: sign him for $32 to $35. If that's not possible, let him walk, re-sign Dalton, and draft a QB.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Dak worth is around $32M - $33M at 5 yrs! All these talking heads are Cowboy haters and would lov it if this contract buried the Cowboys. JJ is always looking to make a splash and he's probably working on a team friendly contract that will be in the neighborhood of $35M - $37M for 10 yrs. Not sure about the guaranteed money, but the entire contract will be one that everybody will be happy with.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Done with all this, franchise tag him and trade him. This is getting rather stupid now. Go get Wilson.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Sure, you can tag him but you have approx 2 months ( before the draft ) to solve the puzzle/problem. After that, it's over, done, you're out of the game coz you've lost the trade option. Now you have only two left before July 15 deadline....get the long deal completed or let him play 2021 on the 2nd tag ($37M). If that happens, his days as a Cowboy are probably over the season.

I wouldn't feel comfortable signing him Long term Without seeing him play a season again. I still have my doubts that he will be ready to play by September-october.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The numbers are a bit high but I actually think we may start seeing these types of structure deals for QBs going forward. Players get another bite of the pie after 3 years but at the same time, teams aren't locked in long-term if they want to go a different direction ( see Goff and Wentz ).
I remember thinking at the advent of plan B free agency this day would eventually come.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If this is true that Dak and his crooked agent are asking for $41.5 / year on only a 3 year deal with $100 mil fully guaranteed, I would franchise tag him and let him test the market to see what other teams are willing to offer him. If some team is dumb enough to offer Dak $40+ million per year, don't match it. Let Dak sign with that other team while the Cowboys get two 1st round picks as compensation. If no one offers Dak more than $35 mil / year, match it and force Dak to either accept that or get benched for at least a year with no pay until he decides to sign the contract. At least Dak will know by then that he's not going to get paid $40+ mil / season by anyone.
If that were true, I wouldnt blame Jerry for tagging him and benching him all season...lol

csirl

Reaction score
Dak is worth nothing until he passes a physical.

Cmac

Reaction score
Dan Orlovsky speaking on Dak being good vs great and spewing on pay good not pay great …...isn't he the same Detroit Lion QB that forgot, if you run out your own end zone, its a safety.....beaten out by Rex Grossman for the #1 backup spot in Houston.....replaced Curtis Painter momentarily, and I do mean momentarily, during Indy stint.....played with the Rams, long enough for a cup of coffee. That Orlovsky?

R210303ca392f5142d3d04926026d00d7

cjlopez

Reaction score
If this is true that Dak and his crooked agent are asking for $41.5 / year on only a 3 year deal with $100 mil fully guaranteed, I would franchise tag him and let him test the market to see what other teams are willing to offer him. If some team is dumb enough to offer Dak $40+ million per year, don't match it. Let Dak sign with that other team while the Cowboys get two 1st round picks as compensation. If no one offers Dak more than $35 mil / year, match it and force Dak to either accept that or get benched for at least a year with no pay until he decides to sign the contract. At least Dak will know by then that he's not going to get paid $40+ mil / season by anyone.
I know we are all frustrated....few things... I think you mean place the NonExclusive Tag on him. Let another team sign him and don't match and get 2 1st Rounders or work out a trade. Once he signs the TAG he is a Dallas for one more year....If you bench him....he still gets his 37million and become a FA next season with no compensation for Dallas.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I know we are all frustrated....few things... I think you mean place the NonExclusive Tag on him. Let another team sign him and don't match and get 2 1st Rounders or work out a trade. Once he signs the TAG he is a Dallas for one more year....If you bench him....he still gets his 37million and become a FA next season with no compensation for Dallas.
Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks for the correction and proper explanation.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I just don’t understand the logic of being ok with 34-36 but not 40. You’re really making a fuss about 4-6 million dollars? You really think that’s gonna make it break this team lmao. Drawling the line over 3% extra of the cap is ridiculous

Well if 40 is OK then why not just jump it another 4 mil and go for 44 instead of 40. Or.....maybe 48. Well you get the idea. No matter where they draw the line, somebody is going to say "why not another 4 to 6 mil"?
Just draw the line and stick to it. Period. Drawing the line is not ridiculous.

Lutonio

Reaction score
It’s the off-season. We’re lucky they’re not talking about what Prescott ate for lunch.

Be on the lookout soon for my two off-season favorite stories:

“Second year player says games is slowing down”

“Aged veteran says he feels the best he ever has”