I can't watch my German DVD

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I could find The White Rose (1982) anywhere in streaming, so I went to Amazon and bought the DVD. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually buying from an independent seller in Germany. So I get the DVD and plop it in and my DVD player promptly informs me that it cannot play this DVD due to "region restrictions." So I went online and searched for a hack to make my Sony DVD player play all regions, but every hack I found failed to work on my particular player.

So maybe the better approach would be to copy the DVD and remove or change the region in the process. I would not consider this pirating because I bought and paid for the original DVD and am just trying to find a way to watch a movie that I've paid to watch. Is anyone familiar with Linux- or Windows-based software that can copy a DVD while removing or changing the region?

nobody

Reaction score
I used to use DVD Decrypter to make copies that would play on a portable dvd player on trips so I didn't risk the originals. It could remove region coding with ease....however it was shutdown some years ago. There might be a successor to it, but I haven't looked into it. You might start by googling "DVD Decrypter"

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I could find The White Rose (1982) anywhere in streaming, so I went to Amazon and bought the DVD. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually buying from an independent seller in Germany. So I get the DVD and plop it in and my DVD player promptly informs me that it cannot play this DVD due to "region restrictions." So I went online and searched for a hack to make my Sony DVD player play all regions, but every hack I found failed to work on my particular player.

So maybe the better approach would be to copy the DVD and remove or change the region in the process. I would not consider this pirating because I bought and paid for the original DVD and am just trying to find a way to watch a movie that I've paid to watch. Is anyone familiar with Linux- or Windows-based software that can copy a DVD while removing or changing the region?
If you can't play it, how can you copy it?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Would you be able to watch it on the computer, under those conditions?

Probably, but I want to be able to watch it on my TV. So I either want to copy the DVD in a process that removes the region limitation or rip it to a video file such as an mkv. A vid file could just go into my Plex for streaming to the TV. Or I could just play the copied DVD if I go that route.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Achtung!! Ve have vays of getting even with you Americans.
93041abcd9bd52b54296b389b4f41053.jpg

jsb357

Reaction score
A computer won't have the same region limitations. So some software might be able to copy it.
You need some software that will allow to to copy the iso to your drive and remove the region restrictions during the process.

Then burn the new "region free" DVD with any software.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Oh it’s a German film,and being it’s 1982 VHS transferred to DVD...it’s basically just their region. It’s on YouTube though,but I can’t find it with sub-titles!! I hate that with foreign films and the bullcrap regional road blocks. You’re kinda stuck man...transferring it to region 1 may be your only option,unless you keep looking for a region 1 copy.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The best free DVD ripper 2018
Write-ups on techradar

1. WinX DVD Ripper Free Edition
Not only for movies, this DVD ripper can handle data discs

Super fast DVD ripping
Ready-made conversion profiles
Can rip audio to MP3 format

Download WinX DVD Ripper Free Edition

2. HandBrake
You might use HandBrake to convert files, but it can also rip DVDs

Rips DVDs and converts video files
Can queue up multiple conversions
Includes ready-made presets

3. Freemake Video Converter

DVD ripping made easy, with step-by-step instructions

Clean, clear interface
Can rip a whole DVD or just parts
Adds a small watermark to videos

4. MakeMKV

Rip DVDs and Blu-rays without any awkward configuration

Extremely easy to use
Fast DVD ripping
Few customization options

5. DVDFab HD Decryptor

Limited options, but handy if you need to rip a DVD in a hurry

Rips DVDs and Blu-rays
Save movies in their original formats
Few customizable settings

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Oh it’s a German film,and being it’s 1982 VHS transferred to DVD...it’s basically just their region. It’s on YouTube though,but I can’t find it with sub-titles!! I hate that with foreign films and the bullcrap regional road blocks. You’re kinda stuck man...transferring it to region 1 may be your only option,unless you keep looking for a region 1 copy.

I'm surprised this movie is so hard to find. I watched it on VHS in about 1984. I think there probably is software that gets the region bullcrap out of there. I wish they would just get rid of all this regioning junk. You should just be able to order a DVD from anywhere and then watch it. I thought I was just ordering it from Amazon in the USA. I didn't realize it was a German seller.

I could just watch it on Youtube I guess. My German is advanced to where I usually don't need subs.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I'm surprised this movie is so hard to find. I watched it on VHS in about 1984. I think there probably is software that gets the region bullcrap out of there. I wish they would just get rid of all this regioning junk. You should just be able to order a DVD from anywhere and then watch it. I thought I was just ordering it from Amazon in the USA. I didn't realize it was a German seller.

I could just watch it on Youtube I guess. My German is advanced to where I usually don't need subs.
Oh you speak German? Yeah...just watch it on YouTube then.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
An update: I was able to rip the DVD to an MP4 with Handbrake and AnyDVD and play it. It has way better quality than Youtube. For other family members who don't speak German, I was able to download English subtitles that match perfectly. Took a bit of work, but it ended up working.