I do think Parsons was the guy all along

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At first, I thought it was nothing more than the usual spin from the front office trying to make themselves look good but the more I see this unfolding, I think that's a fact.

How does a CB help a defense that struggles against the run? Quinn was hired to fix that first and when the Legion of Boom was assembled, SEA already had a solid run defense.

Look at how Quinn devotes his time, he's all about the front 7 because that's where the leaks are.

There wasn't a DL ranked in the top 15 that could help with stopping the run, which is unusual for any draft, so what's the next best thing? A tackling machine MLB. A fast tackling machine MLB.

I don't think the Cowboys get him at 12 if he plays in 2020. His last college game was the Cotton Bowl where he was MVP with 14 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles and he is the first player in Penn State history to lead the team in tackles as a freshman and he only started 1 game. Let that sink in.

If you were apprehensive about this pick, you might want to revisit his last full season at the most famous college for LB's in history. That season was so special with just about every individual honor a player could get that he could afford to opt out in 2020 and still be regarded as a top 10 pick. I think if he plays in 2020, he's the first non QB off the board.

Every great Dallas D had that guy, that MLB that led the team in tackles, made drive stopping plays and lifted the D around him and I am not saying Micah Parsons is that guy but this team has to have that guy so taking him makes perfect sense to me. Because until we do find that guy, we do not field a true contender defense to play in January.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Jerry Jones said that while Parsons was the best defensive player in the draft, they were targeting one of the top two corners. When they were gone, Parsons became the target. I don't think he said it that plainly, though, because he's Jerry.

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
They wanted one of the corners then traded down once they weren't there end of story.

Na.. It’s only that simple for those that wanted a corner. (That includes myself)

I personally believe the grades were similar for Parsons, Horn, and Surtain. Parsons maybe higher than the two corners. If Dallas really wanted one of the CBs that bad, they had the draft capital to move up to get them. They obviously felt good with whomever was available talent wise. As it turned out.. Dallas drafted exactly the type of talent the middle of our defense sorely missed last year.. a dominate playmaker.

Why? Because our defense needed help at every level.. End of Story.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Na.. It’s only that simple for those that wanted a corner. (That includes myself)

I personally believe the grades were similar for Parsons, Horn, and Surtain. Parsons maybe higher than the two corners. If Dallas really wanted one of the CBs that bad, they had the draft capital to move up to get them. They obviously felt good with whomever was available talent wise. As it turned out.. Dallas drafted exactly the type of talent the middle of our defense sorely missed last year.. a dominate playmaker.

Why? Because our defense needed help at every level.. End of Story.
Cowboys had zero intentions on trading up in this draft. Cowboys wanted the corners over Parsons. Do I think they thought there was a shot both would be gone? Yes. But like someone said, when the corners left is when they traded down.....

Knotamus

Reaction score
Cowboys had zero intentions on trading up in this draft. Cowboys wanted the corners over Parsons. Do I think they thought there was a shot both would be gone? Yes. But like someone said, when the corners left is when they traded down.....

Well, if we’re going to just talk personal opinions.. then sure, I agree to an extent.

If you listen to every DC.com podcast like I do.. you’ll remember the talking heads within the organization commenting about whispers of Parsons being the pick also. This is all assumptions by everyone and really doesn’t matter. But if anyone thinks they truely know.. they’re lying to themselves.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
We are damn lucky the Giants got a trade down offer or Parsons most likely is a Giant right now.

or the giants trade down to a team not named Chicago who got wind Dallas would take Parsons, and again he’s gone at 11.

You don’t trade out of a spot to take Parsons and then accept BPA at 12 if you’re all in on the guy

Knotamus

Reaction score
or the giants trade down to a team not named Chicago who got wind Dallas would take Parsons, and again he’s gone at 11.

You don’t trade out of a spot to take Parsons and then accept BPA at 12 if you’re all in on the guy

Exactly my point.. I don’t think they were all in on any one player.. that includes the corners. I think they liked several defensive players and could have gone several directions. There where rumors they really like Zaven Collins also.. but that goes to the waste side when Parsons is picked.

If they were “All IN” on one of the corners.. they could have used one of the 10 drafts picks to move up a spot or two.. they didn’t.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score

The Cowboys might have not been all in on Parsons all along. He was BPA at 12 and that's who they took.