I don't think Byron Jones will be back

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Unless they want a cornerback that will go THREE years in a row without a pick. Imagine your "shut down" cornerback without an INT for two years in a row, how is that even possible? There is no way you bring back Jones when you have to pay Prescott and Cooper big money plus Byron Jones isn't even worth paying him among the league's highest-paid CB's! Time to go in another direction, let Jones walk (actually let him run) and either draft a corner with your first pick or pick up someone in free agency!

I think the team would like him back but not for the price he will get on the FA market. He's gonna get over 12mil AAV

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No way do the Cowboys let Byron Jones leave. He's our best CB...by far. Chidobe Awuzie stunk the whole season, always getting beat or giving up big yards in coverage. Jourdan Lewis is a slot CB but too small to play on the outside against opposing bigger/faster WRs. Anthony Brown and CJ Goodwin are unrestricted free agents, so the only other CBs currently on the team are unproven/career practice squad members Donovan Olumba and Deante Burton.

Sure looks like an unwise decision to not keep Byron Jones unless one truly wants to leave our CB positions with a bunch of JAGs.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This show up to work and be a rkg attitude is why we haven't won squat in a quarter century

I'm not saying that the rkg attitude is why I want to keep him. I hate that stuff and was one main reasons I wanted JG run out years ago. My problem is that he is a good corner who can play many positions and I'm not sure if the coaches...especially if reports about rifts were true...put him in a good position to fully succeed. Hard to judge when the D was such trash at times.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm going to be the contrarian but why are people so against Jones? Yes we need turnovers but did anyone think maybe its our system? He is our best corner. He can slide to other positions if needed. He's a good locker room guy. Never complains. People are trying to run him out when our D as a whole was devoid of turnovers.
I agree with this. The lack of turnovers is an issue but no one on this defense is getting turnovers, and I think a lot of it has to do with the vanilla, soft zone scheme. Plus it's obvious the DBs are being taught to play the man over the ball in man coverage. Let byron go and he might be the next cowboy cb to become a playmaker on a new team.

ultron

Reaction score
We can't pay everyone. He is a good cover guy. Nothing more. Someone will overpay for his services-- and it shouldn't be us. Time to upgrade our DBs and get some aggressive ball hawks on the back end.

Why can't we pay everyone? With 82 mil of cap space, they can cut Crawford & Lee, and restructure Tyron and easily free up close to another 20 mil. The Cowboys have over 20 UFA, but to let your #1 corner walk with really no other CB on the roster that's even close to being a #1 corner - you could argue that he's the 2nd most important free agent behind Dak. It's imparative to get a deal done or this immediately becomes the overwhelming biggest need for the Cowboys.

cern

Reaction score
Not long ago many said la'el Collins would be allowed to walk. Why would we let Jones just walk. Better to try and work out a deal. Or a trade. I'm sure stephen's on top of things.

visionary

Reaction score
Unless they want a cornerback that will go THREE years in a row without a pick. Imagine your "shut down" cornerback without an INT for two years in a row, how is that even possible? There is no way you bring back Jones when you have to pay Prescott and Cooper big money plus Byron Jones isn't even worth paying him among the league's highest-paid CB's! Time to go in another direction, let Jones walk (actually let him run) and either draft a corner with your first pick or pick up someone in free agency!

he’s so good he even shut himself down

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Why can't we pay everyone? With 82 mil of cap space, they can cut Crawford & Lee, and restructure Tyron and easily free up close to another 20 mil. The Cowboys have over 20 UFA, but to let your #1 corner walk with really no other CB on the roster that's even close to being a #1 corner - you could argue that he's the 2nd most important free agent behind Dak. It's imparative to get a deal done or this immediately becomes the overwhelming biggest need for the Cowboys.
They can, pretty easily lol. The idea that the Cowboys are under some crazy cap crunch is made up by fans. At cap hits of:

Dak - $25m
Amari - $17m
Byron - $15m
Quinn - $10m

You've got another $15m to play with before you do a single thing, and that's probably high end with how they'll structure those contracts.

Daillest88

Reaction score
They can, pretty easily lol. The idea that the Cowboys are under some crazy cap crunch is made up by fans. At cap hits of:

Dak - $25m
Amari - $17m
Byron - $15m
Quinn - $10m

You've got another $15m to play with before you do a single thing, and that's probably high end with how they'll structure those contracts.
Yup and as you said that’s before they miss around with other players. Crawford alone will save like 8 million on the cap

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I will miss all those interceptions that change possessions and games. :lmao:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Use one of the tags on Byron Jones.

Draft a CB to replace him in 2021.

Done.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yup and as you said that’s before they miss around with other players. Crawford alone will save like 8 million on the cap
I actually think they could bring him back on a cheaper deal.

He's a valuable part of that DL, particularly against the run, and they missed him last year.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I would clean house on defense if I could. Start all over. 2020 Draft needs to be like 2005 where we got Ware, Spears, Canty, and Ratliff.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I'm going to be the contrarian but why are people so against Jones? Yes we need turnovers but did anyone think maybe its our system? He is our best corner. He can slide to other positions if needed. He's a good locker room guy. Never complains. People are trying to run him out when our D as a whole was devoid of turnovers.
I can't speak for anyone else but from what I saw even going back to college he has limited hips, straight line athlete albeit an exceptional one, he's a poor tackler that's why having him at safety was problematic, and he lacks ball skills. He doesn't get turnovers which matter in winning football games at the rate we need as a major NFL franchise.

He's a great dude, smart,and team player but not worth what he might ask to be retained. His only turnovers are a hail Mary and a tipped pass. He's never around the ball. He lacks spacial awareness and always seems late on creating turnovers needed to win ballgames. It's like he's the Anthony Spencer of DBs. So close to the drive ending sack but yet so far away.