I got pulled off the Prescott fence

ESisback

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, another Dak thread but I have been squarely on that fence with him for quite some time and was 50/50 on whether to keep him or go shopping but I underestimated one element of his game, the one that can't be argued here regardless of your opinion of him as a passer.

I've watched him since he was a junior and the one thing that was apparent was his leadership which is impressive when you consider he didn't win that job, he won the backup job. Then he comes to Dallas and becomes the starter form the 3rd QB position and immediately takes over as if he belonged there. Because in his mind, he has always belonged there. He accepts and fulfills the role of leadership as well as any player in the NFL.

My problem has been underestimating the value of leadership, I want that guy with the big arm too or a QB that plays like Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson and I guess I can add Burrow, Herbert and Murray to that list.

But if I ever got a lesson on the real value of leadership, I had to look no further than the Cowboys when the heart, soul and fight of this team went down. The team went on life support when their leader went down.

I didn't get pushed off that fence, Dak pulled me off of it. That shot of him, tears in his eyes, about to lose it wasn't for himself, it was for the team that he would not be there to lead. He knew he was the only one to lead them back from deficits at half time and I have seen something I didn't think I would see since he retired. The Staubach Effect.

Roger had the Captain Comeback title because of a unique skill he had, he could make others believe. He didn't make those comebacks on his own, he lifted his team and they lifted him because of one simple fact, they believed. Dak Prescott has that.

I think the difference he makes is evident and easily identifiable. Gallup doesn't drop that pass if it's from Dak, Lamb doesn't have those drops if those passes are from him and even the defense plays harder because they believe he will not give up or give in.......as they unfortunately did, I don't think this talk of unrest even starts up if he is there.

Want to really appreciate someone or some thing? Lose them, even for a short period of time because only then do you see the picture without them in it. And this wasn't a really pretty picture with him in it but it is downright ugly now.

There is no longer any doubt about Dak Prescott in my mind, he is the man and I've never seen one team miss one player like this in all my years. He is worth whatever they have to pay him. What an oddity, Dak has increased his value through his absence.

I AGREE, CC! Just imagine next year...once we get our OL back, Dak and Jarwin, and IF we go all in on defense, the difference could be amazing. Use free agency and the draft on DT, S, LB, CB and LT.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I agree with everything except Zeke. I don’t have a problem signing him. He just simply has no room to run with the Oline in a shambles. All the others were bad contracts.

The problem is you can easily find cheap alternatives that can be effective late in the draft. It is also a position where players fall off a cliff quickly.

Give me Pollard and a 3rd or 4th round pick and the extra $12 million a year to spend at safety, cornerback etc..

zerofill

Reaction score
To some extent, I agree. But its nothing to do with Dak. Dak MUST be retained. Dak will play for another 7-10 years.

What we not need to get rid of to become a true contender is Lawrence, Jaylon, Zeke, and probably the Cooper contract. And we need two very good drafts in a row and probably a third quality draft.

But that doesn't mean we cant be competitive or do some damage in the meantime. A great start would be a top 5 pick. Honestly...……..if we get rid of all 3 of those bad contracts then we have tons of cap space. And in two years is when we would want to use it.

I don't believe this team will ever be dominant again with the Jones's making football decisions.

Even our value as a franchise is skewed. The way Jerry has things, the organization actually owns things not even related to the team. Which adds to the value of the franchise.
It is actually impressive from a business standpoint. But, I said a long time ago, the buffer he has around the franchise value, actually protects them from the football side of things (as far as valuation).

So we aren't just a pipe dream of a team every year, the organization's value is also clever manipulation.

This organization drove me nuts, but now... I just go with the "it is what it is" feeling.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Every single time I have been on the fence about a player or coach for a significant amount of time, history has eventually verified my concerns. No matter how many times I let myself get pulled off. Since I'm an optimist at heart I get pulled off the fence fairly easily, with the same result every time.

Trust your gut.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak was putting up big numbers when the team was already down multiple scores against defenses trying to keep the clock moving. He's put up a lot of stats when the game was already out of reach. So, lets look to last year when he was healthy. 8-8.

Chido sucks.
Lee is at the end
LVE hasn't been good since his rookie year.

The problem is you see the roster through rose colored glasses. The evidence your wrong is on display every week. Enjoy.

Chido is not Deion but he does not "suck." LVE is a good player but not good enough to overcome all the crap players playing alongside him. Also the "Dak was putting up big numbers only when defenses were playing soft" argument doesn't hold water because he had 180 yards and 2 TDs in the first quarter of the Cleveland game. Did Cleveland start the game in prevent? And how did M.J. Stewart, a cornerback have a sack in that game when they were ahead 38-14 if they were just laying back? He left the game with a lead and was about to add to it against the Giants.. He had led the offense to two straight 75 yard TD drives.. and was 18 yards away from his third straight when he went down. Were the Giants playing prevent while the Cowboys had the lead? The Seahawks were only up two scores for a hot minute.. The Cowboys cut their lead to early in the 4th quarter and took the lead with 4 minutes left. Were THEY in prevent too? Teams were blitzing the hell out of Dak in the second half of these games because they watch tape and could see that you can't just sit back in prevent.. They saw what he did in the second half against ATL.. They watched him hang 24 on Cleveland in 8 minutes.. Nobody was just rushing three and dropping into zone against Dak no matter how many times you guys want to claim all his yards were "garbage time." It's a fallacy that suits the narrative people wanna spin. Reality says different.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
So you've let emotion make your decision and not the lack of post season results over the past 5 seasons with him as the QB?

So now we just become the fighting Dak's and parade Dak around while maintaining mediocrity because of 2016 and he was a great leader?

I'll pass.. I want championships.. I don't care who is winning them for us.

I just don't want to be mediocre.

listen buddy. It doesn’t matter who takes the QB position.

If that man at the top, Jerry and Stephen, are still there, we will always be mediocre. Patrick Mahomes can’t fix it. Trevor Lawrence can’t fix it. Dak can’t fix it. Elite defense can’t fix it. It doesn’t matter what we do at this point. Jerry has damaged this team beyond repair

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What confuses me is people who talk up how the organization is a trash fire top to bottom, then turn around and bag on Dak for not winning a Super Bowl.

Just think this through, if the organization is a trash fire then no QB in the NFL is taking it to a Super Bowl.

Aikman and Staubach played with Hall of Famers. Who are the Hall of Famers on the 2020 Cowboys?

I don't really have a good idea what Dak is capable of, it looks like he's headed on the exact same trajectory as Romo when it comes to playing for clownshoes coaches.

To be honest I think they need to purge the coaching staff and give whoever the new guy is carte blanche to tear the roster down to the foundation and start over. The team is an atomic waste dump of dumb players and worse coaches.

Dak has 2 HOFers on the OL and there is no doubting that Amari Cooper and Zeke have HOF talent. Dak has been QBing the most talented offense in football prior to all the OL injuries. The defense is the dumpster fire. So, while we don't expect Dak to win a super bowl with that defense, how about beat a good team? Play well against a good defense?

But the Dak argument is more a cap argument at this point. Can you build a team around him good enough to compete for super bowl with him sucking down 35-40 million per year of cap space. that's the debate

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, another Dak thread but I have been squarely on that fence with him for quite some time and was 50/50 on whether to keep him or go shopping but I underestimated one element of his game, the one that can't be argued here regardless of your opinion of him as a passer.

I've watched him since he was a junior and the one thing that was apparent was his leadership which is impressive when you consider he didn't win that job, he won the backup job. Then he comes to Dallas and becomes the starter form the 3rd QB position and immediately takes over as if he belonged there. Because in his mind, he has always belonged there. He accepts and fulfills the role of leadership as well as any player in the NFL.

My problem has been underestimating the value of leadership, I want that guy with the big arm too or a QB that plays like Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson and I guess I can add Burrow, Herbert and Murray to that list.

But if I ever got a lesson on the real value of leadership, I had to look no further than the Cowboys when the heart, soul and fight of this team went down. The team went on life support when their leader went down.

I didn't get pushed off that fence, Dak pulled me off of it. That shot of him, tears in his eyes, about to lose it wasn't for himself, it was for the team that he would not be there to lead. He knew he was the only one to lead them back from deficits at half time and I have seen something I didn't think I would see since he retired. The Staubach Effect.

Roger had the Captain Comeback title because of a unique skill he had, he could make others believe. He didn't make those comebacks on his own, he lifted his team and they lifted him because of one simple fact, they believed. Dak Prescott has that.

I think the difference he makes is evident and easily identifiable. Gallup doesn't drop that pass if it's from Dak, Lamb doesn't have those drops if those passes are from him and even the defense plays harder because they believe he will not give up or give in.......as they unfortunately did, I don't think this talk of unrest even starts up if he is there.

Want to really appreciate someone or some thing? Lose them, even for a short period of time because only then do you see the picture without them in it. And this wasn't a really pretty picture with him in it but it is downright ugly now.

There is no longer any doubt about Dak Prescott in my mind, he is the man and I've never seen one team miss one player like this in all my years. He is worth whatever they have to pay him. What an oddity, Dak has increased his value through his absence.
I’m not sure how good we are with him but we are nothing without him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak has 2 HOFers on the OL and there is no doubting that Amari Cooper and Zeke have HOF talent. Dak has been QBing the most talented offense in football prior to all the OL injuries. The defense is the dumpster fire. So, while we don't expect Dak to win a super bowl with that defense, how about beat a good team? Play well against a good defense?

But the Dak argument is more a cap argument at this point. Can you build a team around him good enough to compete for super bowl with him sucking down 35-40 million per year of cap space. that's the debate
Probably not but is that more about Dak or our dysfunctional ownership.

If Dak is truly close to Elite then we shouldn’t need to pay a top 5 WR and RB and let those chips fall where they may and invest where we have weaknesses on defense and OL.

Bottomline is we aren’t nothing without him. Now could we draft someone else at his level. IDK..

sean10mm

Reaction score

This is a hilarious overrating of Amari Cooper, a notably inconsistent receiver who plays smaller than any >6' receiver I've ever seen.

I'm not gonna argue that Dak should be paid any hypothetical huge contract you can imagine. But you replace him with anybody in 2020 and the team still doesn't matter. The lack of rings really isn't about him anymore than it was about Romo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Remember our ownership couldn’t build a team around Dak and Zeke on their Rookie contracts so it’s unlikely they will after paying them.

But what are our choices with this dysfunctional ownership and organization?

Do we really entrust in them with another total rebuild offensively and defensively?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Reinvest with the defense in FA and the Draft. Bring in a new DC. That’s our best hope within the next 2-3 year window. We only need an average to above average defense with this offense to make some noise.

Seahawks defense isn’t that good for example and they are serious contenders. That’s our best hope with this dysfunctional organization.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So you've let emotion make your decision and not the lack of post season results over the past 5 seasons with him as the QB?

So now we just become the fighting Dak's and parade Dak around while maintaining mediocrity because of 2016 and he was a great leader?

I'll pass.. I want championships.. I don't care who is winning them for us.

I just don't want to be mediocre.
Past 5 seasons for lack of post seasons?

Hey, Genius, Dak has only been a part of 4 full seasons, which means he only would have had a chance to make 4 post seasons, which he made 2 and helped win 1 out of 3 post season games (should have been 2+ more if not for crooked and biased officials).

You're another Dak hater either forgetting or intentionally not stating your facts correctly. Unbelievable how y'all stretch the facts so easily to try to fit your anti-Dak narrative.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Well said, CC!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Past 5 seasons for lack of post seasons?

Hey, Genius, Dak has only been a part of 4 full seasons, which means he only would have had a chance to make 4 post seasons, which he made 2 and helped win 1 out of 3 post season games (should have been 2+ more if not for crooked and biased officials).

You're another Dak hater either forgetting or intentionally not stating your facts correctly. Unbelievable how y'all stretch the facts so easily to try to fit your anti-Dak narrative.

Oh you got me.. I accidentally included this season..

Sorry.. Dak has 1 playoff win in 4 seasons not 5.. Apologies for the error and thank you for the correction. I would hate to drastically mislead people.

Your whiny reaction was most definitely warranted.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh you got me.. I accidentally included this season..

Sorry.. Dak has 1 playoff win in 4 seasons not 5.. Apologies for the error and thank you for the correction. I would hate to drastically mislead people.

Your whiny reaction was most definitely warranted.
You're the one with the whining. Daily, actually. How sad. Need a tissue? Are you going to be ok?

You do know Dak is going to heal up from his injury and get a new contract to stay in Big D for many years to come, don't you?

Of course you know, which is why you are still complaining. :laugh:

Thanks for the entertainment...even if it is intentionally misleading. :thumbup:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You're the one with the whining. Daily, actually. How sad. Need a tissue? Are you going to be ok?

You do know Dak is going to heal up from his injury and get a new contract to stay in Big D for many years to come, don't you?

Of course you know, which is why you are still complaining. :laugh:

Thanks for the entertainment...even if it is intentionally misleading. :thumbup:

Dude.. You came in like a Karen complaining that I said 5 seasons instead of 4.

You literally were the one complaining.

erod

Reaction score

He was 0-4, Coach. 8-8 last year with a healthy offense.

(And don't bother me with that silly gift from Atlanta.)