I got pulled off the Prescott fence

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Appreciate the perspective and honestly.

I was in this spot with Romo once.
Some late game losses to go 9-7 had me sounding much like some of these Dak haters... he's solid but not top 10 et al.
Then the team would go win .250 minus Romo and I'd go "Oh, my bad dude".

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Appreciate the perspective and honestly.

I was in this spot with Romo once.
Some late game losses to go 9-7 had me sounding much like some of these Dak haters... he's solid but not top 10 et al.
Then the team would go win .250 minus Romo and I'd go "Oh, my bad dude".

Ironically Romo only went 9-7 once and that was in 2008 when he missed 3 games.. so technically he didn't even have that record that year. Brad Johnson stepped in and promptly went 1-2 so really Romo was 8-5. Looking at it, Romo actually never had a 9-7 season.. He did have two 8-8 years though. Ironically Dak has now had one of each.. a 9-7 and an 8-8. And he was probably looking at something in that same ballpark this year. Fate was really cruel to Tony.. just when he got things figured out his body betrayed him. Hopefully she will be kinder to Dak. I think Dak is just entering his QB prime.. and we have every reason to expect 7-8 really good years from him going forward. That's why not signing him makes so little sense. We waited 10 years for Romo to get to playing at the level Dak is playing at now. And folks want to just poopcan that in search of the next big thing college hotshot? I aint feelin that at all. I have seen too many Joey Harringtons, Andre Wares, Jamarcus Russells, Matt Leinerts, Tim Couches and on and on and on to believe that just because a guy lights it up in college means he's going to do the same in the pros. I'm not into rolling the dice in search of the 2 million dollar jackpot when I already have a 1 million dollar jackpot chip in my hand.. I'm takin that sucker to the window and then takin my arse home!!

Aven8

Reaction score
Dak does stir this drink and when he came off that field that day, what fight they had left, left with him. It’s like we lost our HC here that everyone believed in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, another Dak thread but I have been squarely on that fence with him for quite some time and was 50/50 on whether to keep him or go shopping but I underestimated one element of his game, the one that can't be argued here regardless of your opinion of him as a passer.

I've watched him since he was a junior and the one thing that was apparent was his leadership which is impressive when you consider he didn't win that job, he won the backup job. Then he comes to Dallas and becomes the starter form the 3rd QB position and immediately takes over as if he belonged there. Because in his mind, he has always belonged there. He accepts and fulfills the role of leadership as well as any player in the NFL.

My problem has been underestimating the value of leadership, I want that guy with the big arm too or a QB that plays like Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson and I guess I can add Burrow, Herbert and Murray to that list.

But if I ever got a lesson on the real value of leadership, I had to look no further than the Cowboys when the heart, soul and fight of this team went down. The team went on life support when their leader went down.

I didn't get pushed off that fence, Dak pulled me off of it. That shot of him, tears in his eyes, about to lose it wasn't for himself, it was for the team that he would not be there to lead. He knew he was the only one to lead them back from deficits at half time and I have seen something I didn't think I would see since he retired. The Staubach Effect.

Roger had the Captain Comeback title because of a unique skill he had, he could make others believe. He didn't make those comebacks on his own, he lifted his team and they lifted him because of one simple fact, they believed. Dak Prescott has that.

I think the difference he makes is evident and easily identifiable. Gallup doesn't drop that pass if it's from Dak, Lamb doesn't have those drops if those passes are from him and even the defense plays harder because they believe he will not give up or give in.......as they unfortunately did, I don't think this talk of unrest even starts up if he is there.

Want to really appreciate someone or some thing? Lose them, even for a short period of time because only then do you see the picture without them in it. And this wasn't a really pretty picture with him in it but it is downright ugly now.

There is no longer any doubt about Dak Prescott in my mind, he is the man and I've never seen one team miss one player like this in all my years. He is worth whatever they have to pay him. What an oddity, Dak has increased his value through his absence.
Better late than never and kudo's for admitting your mistake. Leadership in any team, whether it's sports or on the battlefield, is the most critical aspect of all factors. Dak was the leader of the players and they would do anything for him. Even despite their current failings. It's too early to tell about the coaches. There's no doubt that the leadership at the top is failing and has been failing for years now.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So you've let emotion make your decision and not the lack of post season results over the past 5 seasons with him as the QB?

So now we just become the fighting Dak's and parade Dak around while maintaining mediocrity because of 2016 and he was a great leader?

I'll pass.. I want championships.. I don't care who is winning them for us.

I just don't want to be mediocre.
Catch - "King of the Clueless"

CWR

Reaction score
So you've let emotion make your decision and not the lack of post season results over the past 5 seasons with him as the QB?

So now we just become the fighting Dak's and parade Dak around while maintaining mediocrity because of 2016 and he was a great leader?

I'll pass.. I want championships.. I don't care who is winning them for us.

I just don't want to be mediocre.

Then you build around Dak and instead of surrounding him with a historically bad defense and 3-5 horribly over paid losers you get actual players.

You dont want to pay Dak because we have so many other issues. Lets fix those issues and not try to fix what isn't broken.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ironically Romo only went 9-7 once and that was in 2008 when he missed 3 games.. so technically he didn't even have that record that year. Brad Johnson stepped in and promptly went 1-2 so really Romo was 8-5. Looking at it, Romo actually never had a 9-7 season.. He did have two 8-8 years though. Ironically Dak has now had one of each.. a 9-7 and an 8-8. And he was probably looking at something in that same ballpark this year. Fate was really cruel to Tony.. just when he got things figured out his body betrayed him. Hopefully she will be kinder to Dak. I think Dak is just entering his QB prime.. and we have every reason to expect 7-8 really good years from him going forward. That's why not signing him makes so little sense. We waited 10 years for Romo to get to playing at the level Dak is playing at now. And folks want to just poopcan that in search of the next big thing college hotshot? I aint feelin that at all. I have seen too many Joey Harringtons, Andre Wares, Jamarcus Russells, Matt Leinerts, Tim Couches and on and on and on to believe that just because a guy lights it up in college means he's going to do the same in the pros. I'm not into rolling the dice in search of the 2 million dollar jackpot when I already have a 1 million dollar jackpot chip in my hand.. I'm takin that sucker to the window and then takin my arse home!!
You certainly don't have to sell me on Dak.
I drive the Dak stan bus.
I'd have extedned him in year 3 with a 10 year deal. --thought it could get done for 10 years and 200M back then and possibly it could have.

Romo was really good but a lot of years fell just short of great as a team and we'd never do much if anything in the playoffs.
Romo like Dak this year has covered up a lot of Cowboys team warts.

plymkr

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, another Dak thread but I have been squarely on that fence with him for quite some time and was 50/50 on whether to keep him or go shopping but I underestimated one element of his game, the one that can't be argued here regardless of your opinion of him as a passer.

I've watched him since he was a junior and the one thing that was apparent was his leadership which is impressive when you consider he didn't win that job, he won the backup job. Then he comes to Dallas and becomes the starter form the 3rd QB position and immediately takes over as if he belonged there. Because in his mind, he has always belonged there. He accepts and fulfills the role of leadership as well as any player in the NFL.

My problem has been underestimating the value of leadership, I want that guy with the big arm too or a QB that plays like Mahomes, Rodgers or Wilson and I guess I can add Burrow, Herbert and Murray to that list.

But if I ever got a lesson on the real value of leadership, I had to look no further than the Cowboys when the heart, soul and fight of this team went down. The team went on life support when their leader went down.

I didn't get pushed off that fence, Dak pulled me off of it. That shot of him, tears in his eyes, about to lose it wasn't for himself, it was for the team that he would not be there to lead. He knew he was the only one to lead them back from deficits at half time and I have seen something I didn't think I would see since he retired. The Staubach Effect.

Roger had the Captain Comeback title because of a unique skill he had, he could make others believe. He didn't make those comebacks on his own, he lifted his team and they lifted him because of one simple fact, they believed. Dak Prescott has that.

I think the difference he makes is evident and easily identifiable. Gallup doesn't drop that pass if it's from Dak, Lamb doesn't have those drops if those passes are from him and even the defense plays harder because they believe he will not give up or give in.......as they unfortunately did, I don't think this talk of unrest even starts up if he is there.

Want to really appreciate someone or some thing? Lose them, even for a short period of time because only then do you see the picture without them in it. And this wasn't a really pretty picture with him in it but it is downright ugly now.

There is no longer any doubt about Dak Prescott in my mind, he is the man and I've never seen one team miss one player like this in all my years. He is worth whatever they have to pay him. What an oddity, Dak has increased his value through his absence.
Yeah him leaving the field in tears almost put me in tears. Also seeing his teammates around him and even the Giant's players around him was touching. That was probably the most I've ever been choked up with a player getting carted off. It still gets to me seeing it in replays.

kskboys

Reaction score
Daks not even on par with Danny White at this point. McNabb was a better runner and more elusive in the pocket. He lead his team to 5 NFC title games and one super bowl. Dak is a stat compiler who hasn't accomplished anything more than a rookie of the year honor.
Dak is more accurate and hasn't had the D McNabb always had.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

How quickly you forget. Coming off a 2014 season that could have seen us in the SB, we started of 2-0, Romo Broke his clavicle, and we went 2-12 the rest of the way and had an offense that was like this current one.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
I notice the same group of guys who are pro pay Dak are the same guys that like to name call..

Im fine with it but it really speaks to the intelligence level when you stoop to middle school tactics to prove a point.
I’m not pro pay Dak but realize you need to go back to school and get your GED.

Your football opinions sound like my 5 year old sons

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How quickly you forget. Coming off a 2014 season that could have seen us in the SB, we started of 2-0, Romo Broke his clavicle, and we went 2-12 the rest of the way and had an offense that was like this current one.

Nope not true.. That team scored 28, 20, 6 20,12,27,6 19,7,16,6 and 23 points without Romo that year. Even their worst games were twice as productive as what this current bunch put out there yesterday. My calculator says they averaged 14.6 points a game without Romo. Or over a touchdown more than what the current group is doing. And that was with Darren McFadden as the lead back and several games without Dez. Those guys were lacking in the horses but they scratched and clawed their butts off and were usually hanging around with a chance to win late in games. There's no sugarcoating it.. For all intents and purposes, the 2020 Cowboys have quit. It makes me said to even write that.. but the evidence is overwhelming at this point.

Scotman

Reaction score
I was on the fence a long, long time. And I'm still convinced it's a mistake on Dak's part to ask for the salary he's asking for. I think he's sacrificing a LOT of PR that could generate more income than his football check. I also think it's become a part of our locker room character. Guys without skins asking for record setting deals is our new normal. It may be the new normal on other teams, too. I don't follow anyone else and don't know. But I do believe it's a cancer in our locker room. Unearned entitlement.

That said, Dak's leadership is unbelievable. His play is good to great. He absolutely elevated the players around him. He's the whole package. I'm not on the fence at all. He's my QB.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

That is dangerous. Did you twist your ankle when you were pulled off the Prescott fence?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Except we let Murray go. And the Dez contract fiasco. Those Triplets from 2014 would never see the field together again. What a shonda

The RB by committee was a failure. Now 2016 is when we could have made some noise with Romo.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Same here always thought he was top 12ish. After he got hurt and I watched that scene I realized how much I really like him and what he means to this team.

basel90

Reaction score

Too emotional , no substance , Dak is a good QB and had leadership traits , but we don’t want good and 8-8 Records . Let’s stop the PC and county club love fest and get back to Super Bowls .

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Well it could be that certain group of players have decided to tank , and not play good with any other qb, just so it has the effect that it
has had on you.
They are deciding who the qb will be lol.
I dont think it is about leadership so much as it is about they want to make sure dak is their qb next season, and that he gets signed.

Playing good for dalton or nucci or whoever could lead to dak not getting signed, and they dont want that so are tanking.
Dak is a buddy and brother, and they are tanking to help him.
They played so badly in this game it was clear to most , that they are not trying at all, and that isnt about leadership.
And I am not saying dak isnt a good leader, I just dont think that is all there is to this.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Dak would of been slaughtered against the Commanders too. Dont for a minute think things would be any different with Dak playing. This team is a real mess and was on the verge of not winning a game with Dak at the helm. The oline is a bunch of scrubs and the defense has a some kind of rebellion against Nolan. If you have to say anything about Dak its that he was one of the few good things about this team. But im not sure he is even worth keeping at the salary he wants.