I hate lining up in shotgun

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
99% of the freaking time. It’s soft and takes away the play action pass. Zeke is also best when running from an under center hand off. It’s embarrassing how soft this offense is. 3rd and 1 still running out of shotgun! Embarrassing. I strongly feel that’s a huge problem with our soft offense. That is all I drank a little bit I’m pissed. Move it to the “drama zone” or whatever. Sick of this soft team.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
99% of the freaking time. It’s soft and takes away the play action pass. Zeke is also best when running from an under center hand off. It’s embarrassing how soft this offense is. 3rd and 1 still running out of shotgun! Embarrassing. I strongly feel that’s a huge problem with our soft offense. That is all I drank a little bit I’m pissed. Move it to the “drama zone” or whatever. Sick of this soft team.
agree, I hate when Zeke has to hesitate to get the handoff, run 4 yards and all he has done was reach the line of scrimmage

quickccc

Reaction score
- it's not quite 99% for shotgun formation ..and 0% snaps under center, but I get how you guys are feeling with the disappointment in the run game.

- I tend to want to watch around the league, if this is just a league trend and RPO's are just the new wave stamp of the NFL.

- I agree that I'd like to see Dak under center, and giving a deep handoff to zeke, where he can best survey, sense OL openings faster, without him having to stop- restart on these draw plays
out of the RPO formations,. remember Zeke's rookie 1st game vs NYG in 2016, and afterwards Emmitt Smith commenting (suggesting ?) Linehan get him out of that draw- run out of shotgun
and letting him get a deeper hand off from QB under center.

-If you go back and look at the YouTube highlight clip of the Bills game, in the early going, zeke was having some success running the ball
(even had a 30 yard run- his longest splash run of the entire season) and much of that was QB handing off from under center

Talk about some things that can be done to revamp our run game and give a better chance of being more effective, this is just one route, but it's a reflection on the coaches - from Kellen Moore, to RB coach Gary Brown and even the HC Garrett.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
- it's not quite 99% for shotgun formation ..and 0% snaps under center, but I get how you guys are feeling with the disappointment in the run game.

- I tend to want to watch around the league, if this is just a league trend and RPO's are just the new wave stamp of the NFL.

- I agree that I'd like to see Dak under center, and giving a deep handoff to zeke, where he can best survey, sense OL openings faster, without him having to stop- restart on these draw plays
out of the RPO formations,. remember Zeke's rookie 1st game vs NYG in 2016, and afterwards Emmitt Smith commenting (suggesting ?) Linehan get him out of that draw- run out of shotgun
and letting him get a deeper hand off from QB under center.

-If you go back and look at the YouTube highlight clip of the Bills game, in the early going, zeke was having some success running the ball
(even had a 30 yard run- his longest splash run of the entire season) and much of that was QB handing off from under center

Talk about some things that can be done to revamp our run game and give a better chance of being more effective, this is just one route, but it's a reflection on the coaches - from Kellen Moore, to RB coach Gary Brown and even the HC Garrett.
Agree with all of this, except the bolded. That run had nothing to do with the fact that it was from under center. It was the result of a) being well blocked because they had the numbers advantage and b) Zeke is good.

The NFL just isn't a league where lining up under center matters.

Dunks3001

Reaction score
I'm sure Zeke has the pull to go to Moore and Dak and ask for more handoffs from the QB under center if that's what he prefers. So I guess he doesn't mind the shotgun handoffs. But I kind of agree. Seems like the hand offs from shotgun result in a lot of run for no gains

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well you’re a pessimist so go figure.

JBS

Reaction score
Someone has the numbers that show how effective Dak is on play action passes.

It's off the charts good I remember that.

dallas is the most efficient passing offense when not using play action too

just saying

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I understand the 3 rd and 1. However Zeke ran his entire college carrier out of the shotgun. I don't think he made a run out of the QB under C formation until he was in the NFL.

John813

Reaction score
Shotgun has it's advantages too in the run game. RPO and Read options can be effective. The latter one can be effective if the QB ever decides to hold onto the ball here and there whenever it's called.

I don't get the issue with the shotgun lineup. Not like the back is any further back than from a traditional under the center snap. and it's not like Gurode is still here

conner01

Reaction score
I bet people would be shocked at how we compare to the league

blueblood70

Reaction score
yes to an extent, we wanted a OC that was of the new school approach and opposite of SL and Callahan, this is what we have..

I think KM needs to reel it in bit as it went from one extreme(heavy run , vanilla pass) to Pass happy shotgun and going away from traditional run schemes and when zeke and pollard are hot they start chucking it downfield for 3 straight series..

IF KM can find bit more balance in this and FEEL when the run game is working to just pound that defense into the ground but when its not dont abandon it but know when to let Dak take over a bit..

its just KM being green but he was asked to take dak and the pass game to another level and for the most part has but its losing us TOP, series of 3 and outs, and defense being on the field too long..

erod

Reaction score
I don't like it either.

It makes the running back hesitate before attacking the line of scrimmage.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since we hand the ball off out of the shotgun, the shotgun doesn't take away the play action pass, but it does give it a different look and makes it less effective. Faking a handoff from the shotgun doesn't slow the rushers or freeze LBs the same as faking a handoff when taking the snap under center.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It's not rocket science. If the running game isn't working, you can't rely on it to move the sticks. If the running game is working you stick with it. The stick with it when it's not working and get away from it when it is working.

Play calling matters.