I have never heard a Dak fan explain why 1 playoff win is better than a Super Bowl win

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
First of all, I apologize in advance - yes I know, it's yet another Dak thread. We've had hundreds of them already. So I apologize.

Secondly, I am well aware that Dak has won a playoff game. I know perfectly well, because I was there myself in attendance at AT&T Stadium that night. Cowboys 24, Seahawks 22.

Third, I have nothing against Dak. I think he is a Top Ten quarterback in the league. I just don't think he is No. 1.

What I have never yet heard is a convincing explanation from a Dak supporter as to why Dak's one playoff win is better than Mahomes' four playoff wins, including a Super Bowl title. I am not a particularly math-literate person, but all arithmetic I've ever learned in my life points to four being greater than one.

The reason I'm using Mahomes as an example is because many fans are arguing that Dak should be the highest-paid quarterback in the entire league, higher than even Mahomes himself (or Brees, Brady, etc.)

Before Dak became the starting quarterback, the prevailing sentiment was that "it's Super Bowls that count, not mere playoff wins." After all, Blake Bortles has won a playoff game. But now that Dak is going through contract negotiations, suddenly one wild-card playoff win is considered to trump a Super Bowl championship itself. I cannot think of any logic, no matter how contorted, that justifies that line of reasoning.

Perhaps one will argue, "well, it's stats that count, not Super Bowl titles." But even going by stats alone, Mahomes significantly outperforms Dak.

The argument for Dak being the highest-paid quarterback in the NFL amounts to this: "A quarterback with lesser stats and a 1-2 record in the playoffs deserves to be paid more than a quarterback with better stats and a 4-1 playoff record, including a Super Bowl ring and Super Bowl MVP honors." If someone can justify that in a way that would make sense to my ears, I'm all ears.

First off MANY people don't quote Prescott correctly. What Prescott said was he should not be paid as much or more than Wilson or Mahomes without a Super Bowl win. It is Fans who are the ones that keep throwing out the 40 mil a year crap and sportswriters who speculate some wild stuff to get clicks. And yes people here just can't seem to stop themselves from starting multiple Prescott threads every day even though everything has already been said over and over and over again. Instead of this being called the cowboyszone.com it should be renamed the prescottzone.com because of all the Prescott threads there are every day.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Even with a squad Joe Montana was always number one over Marino.

John Elway went to 3 super bowls in the 1980s with teams similar to the ones we have had recently.

Quarterbacks worth anything usually have a crew. They also make plays to help the team win.

Marino was better than Montana. He never had a running game and it would always hurt the dolphins in the end.

The AFC was not very good honestly in those years Elway and the broncos made the super bowl. The 86 browns were excellent and should never had lost that game or the next year. The broncos won those two championship games and I still think the browns were better. Elway's drive was incredible though. Winning in that environment was truly something special.

A couple of those seasons we as fans got robbed of championship and super bowls that would have been better. The 89 giants were the only team in the league that could lineup and beat the 49ers and they got a bad call late in the fourth quarter which sent them to overtime against the rams...the rams got the ball and everett hit flipper anderson to win the game. It was a real fluke situation. The 89 nfc championship would have been fantastic with NY at SF. We ended up getting it the following year and it was a fabulous game.

The 86 super bowl would have been great if it was Cleveland vs NY. They were mirror images player wise and both had great coaching staffs. It truly is a shame that denver won that game and got to the superbowl. They had no chance against that giants team...just like a few years later when they were completely outmatched vs SF in 89.

Marino and Elway to me are the two most talented quarterbacks I have seen play..in person and on tv of course. A young Elway and Marino in today's league would rewrite the history books easily.