I have soured on Surtain

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
is he a good CB? yes, is he going to be elite? I seriously doubt it....in college, you either get away with your athletic ability, or you have really good technique and you compensate because the competition is lesser. but you get to NFL, every one is big, fast, good.....Surtain's instincts and Fundamentals and technique is really good. he is from Alabama after all. but he lacks that elite athletic ability and going against top notch WRs in the league, with size, speed and technique is going to keep his ceiling at good, but not great. faster, quicker WRs will give him trouble and that's what NFL is got. NFL and NFL def coaches live to eat you up, find your weakness and feed on it....

He is like Diggs. I like Diggs, dont' get me wrong, but last year he got burned by faster WRs. he looked better later in the year, but the competition was worse......so he looked better as a result perhaps

if I had my choice, it would be Farley. he is a much better athlete or trade down and grab someone like Jaycee Horn....

am I being to picky? too negative on Surtain...?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
is he a good CB? yes, is he going to be elite? I seriously doubt it....in college, you either get away with your athletic ability, or you have really good technique and you compensate because the competition is lesser. but you get to NFL, every one is big,i fast, good.....Surtain's instincts and Fundamentals and technique is really good. he is from Alabama after all. but he lacks that elite athletic ability and going against top notch WRs in the league, with size, speed and technique is going to keep his ceiling at good, but not great. faster, quicker WRs will give him trouble and that's what NFL is got. NFL and NFL def coaches live to eat you up, find your weakness and feed on it....

He is like Diggs. I like Diggs, dont' get me wrong, but last year he got burned by faster WRs. he looked better later in the year, but the competition was worse......so he looked better as a result perhaps

if I had my choice, it would be Farley. he is a much better athlete or trade down and grab someone like Jaycee Horn....

am I being to picky? too negative on Surtain...?
I prefer Farley, but I think people are starting to go a bit overboard knocking Surtain's athleticism

Carson

Reaction score
I believe you’re being too picky on Surtain. He’s a solid prospect.

With that being said, I think he will do better in a cover 2 scheme.

He uses his hands to help dictate where the receiver is going. In the East there are a few shift my guys like McLaurin, Reagor, Steven Sims that would give him trouble

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I would go with Surtain no problem what so ever. I think he is a damn good CB who has played against great WR in man coverage and shows good instinct and football intelligence in zone coverages.

As Richard Sherman showed FOR YEARS...you don't need great speed when playing in predominately Zone Schemes. IN FACT, in the Cover 1/2/3 Schemes, the FS in the one that needs the speed - the speed to play from numbers to numbers and erase everything over the top.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As Richard Sherman showed FOR YEARS...you don't need great speed when playing in predominately Zone Schemes. IN FACT, in the Cover 1/2/3 Schemes, the FS in the one that needs the speed - the speed to play from numbers to numbers and erase everything over the top.

I agree but they will be in man coverage at times and from what I saw out of Surtain he can play bump and run man coverage as well as zone. Championship game they stayed away from him quite a bit

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
True but you can also point to guys like Richard Sherman who played in a similar system that I expect we play and he won a lot of matchups with being smart and having good technique.

I think with Diggs you can give him the Tyreek Hill types and he be ok.

Say we face a team like Seattle then I like a Diggs vs Tyler Lockett and Surtain vs Metcalf matchup.

That was one of the great things about Byron Jones is he was matchup proof. You could put him on anyone including Zach Ertz.

phildadon86

Reaction score
True but you can also point to guys like Richard Sherman who played in a similar system that I expect we play and he won a lot of matchups with being smart and having good technique.

Say we face a team like Seattle then I like a Diggs vs Tyler Lockett and Surtain vs Metcalf matchup.

That was one of the great things about Byron Jones is he was matchup proof. You could put him on anyone including Zach Ertz.
Yeah he looked great this past year in Miami. LOL. Stop talking about players man you look silly. I do agree with you on Surtain though. His actual comparable in a few articles ive read is Stephen Gilmore. So. There you go

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah he looked great this past year in Miami. LOL. Stop talking about players man you look silly. I do agree with you on Surtain though. His actual comparable in a few articles ive read is Stephen Gilmore. So. There you go

Leave the player evaluating to me and I’ll leave the hindsight 2nd guessing to you.

Carson

Reaction score

Excellent points.

Voch Lombardi said pretty much those words as well

Rayman70

Reaction score
Surtain will be a pro bowler for 10 years...lol...so needless to say, I have not soured on him. My gosh people, stop reading too much into this so called speed issue. The man can play the game of football at a high level. Forget his forty time..Jeesh.

Carson

Reaction score
Surtain will be a pro bowler for 10 years...lol...so needless to say, I have not soured on him. My gosh people, stop reading too much into this so called speed issue. The man can play the game of football at a high level. Forget his forty time..Jeesh.

I hear that. I love Surtain

With that being said, I think he needs a very team friendly defense. If he goes to a cover 2, cover 3 he will be a stud. If they put him on an island he will be toast

Rayman70

Reaction score
Diggs' problem was never, ever dealing with speed.

Technique is the only way you cover the league's fastest WRs.
exactly. People are over analyzing this speed thing. Its just ridiculous. When you watch all his game tape..he shuts down elite wr's and his half of the field, for very long stretches...Like you said, he doesn't rely on speed, which I happen to think he has plenty of, BUT he relies on his sound fundamentals and technique.People need to give it a rest..lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
I hear that. I love Surtain

With that being said, I think he needs a very team friendly defense. If he goes to a cover 2, cover 3 he will be a stud. If they put him on an island he will be toast
as great as Diggs will be, Surtain is already ahead of where he is. HE IS THAT GOOD. Farley is another sound player at cb.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My personal favorite is JayCee Horn.
hes being overlooked. At first he was ranked in the top 10...so not sure what happened. IMO..he is just as good as Farley and Surtain. Not much separates them. If I was forced to choose between them, I still might go Surtain..because of his large body of work where he dominated. Cannot ignore the fact he shut down his man game in,game out.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
hes being overlooked. At first he was ranked in the top 10...so not sure what happened. IMO..he is just as good as Farley and Surtain. Not much separates them. If I was forced to choose between them, I still might go Surtain..because of his large body of work where he dominated. Cannot ignore the fact he shut down his man game in,game out.

I think Surtain benefited from having a great front 7...

phildadon86

Reaction score
Leave the player evaluating to me and I’ll leave the hindsight 2nd guessing to you.
Evaluating? is that what you call it? Hows Brad Kaaya doing? Hows Byron Jones (ranked one of the worst starters in the league last season doing) you have no shame do you?