I have soured on Surtain

McKDaddy

Reaction score
People need to watch his tape. 41 games worth by far better then any corner back prospect. He held his own against Kyler Murray and CeeDee Lamb his freshman season. I would like to have seen more interceptions but he has better ball skills then Byron. We draft him we will have one of best cornerback tandems in the league. Sign me up.

well said. if you aren't going to trust tape of a player going up against the best competition available over a lot of games what are you going to base your opinion on?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
well said. if you aren't going to trust tape of a player going up against the best competition available over a lot of games what are you going to base your opinion on?
Farley looked good against Miami, Horne looked good against Auburn so I guess that is reason enough to draft them over Surtain. Also they both allegedly run 4.2 forties and got pretty hips.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Can't ask for a better training plan from your CB then having to up against Ridley, Ruggs, Jeudy, Waddle, and Smith every day in practice and hold your own.

I think he's a solid pick and it will really come down to scheme if it's between him and Farley. The real problem is watching Denver at #9 as your decision might get made for you.
Agreed. I think with surtain and diggs together could be a cornerstone for years to come. I like Farley a lot too but I feel connection w diggs and surtain could play well off each other. I’m still on the parsons bandwagon but I’d be ecstatic w Farley or surtain.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think Surtain will be pretty close to a shut down corner against 90-95% of his competition. Very few CB's can mirror the elite WR's on an island so you will need a complete secondary playing well together no matter who you draft.[/QUOTE

Sometimes you get lucky, the team's top receiver is hurt and can't play, or isn't up to full speed, etc.

Not taking a cornerback just because he can't shut down all by himself a top receiver is just being too picky, in my opinion.
Evaluate the player as a whole...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Sometimes you get lucky, the team's top receiver is hurt and can't play, or isn't up to full speed, etc.

Not taking a cornerback just because he can't shut down all by himself a top receiver is just being too picky, in my opinion.
Evaluate the player as a whole...
And frankly, defending a guy like Tyreek Hill is a schematic thing that the coaches draw up during the week leading up to the game. That happens way more than the game plan of, “just stick with Tyreek no matter where he goes.” That will almost never happen... if it ever even happens at all.

Teams play with a safety over the top and do a number of things to limit the damage that a great speed WR can do. They have to because nobody is staying with Hill. Even if a guy like Farley actually does run as fast as Hill, a 6’2” guy isn’t going to be able to stay with him because he simply cannot make the cuts that a short little quick guy can make.

Against speed receiver’s it is usually smarts and technique that win out because the entire secondary has to play smart, stick to the game plan, and be great with their technique. It is the whole unit that has to help limit the damage a guy like Hill can do.

So, with help on Hill coming from another DB that the CB has to work in unison with... suddenly Surtain’s smart and savvy game is more desirable than Farley’s 40 time. In that case, which one would you worry about more in stopping Hill? That’s easy: You worry about Farley making a wrong decision or using poor technique. Suddenly, Surtain’s game gives you more confidence.

Much goes into making a good cornerback. People have always way over rated 40 times... particularly at this time of the pre draft process.

Last edited:

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
For whatever it's worth. Surtain shut down my guy Olave in the Ohio -Alabama game. That impressed me. I like both but if both are there at the pick? It's gonna be a hard choice to be honest.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Surtain is a sound fundamentals type of player and a "technique guy" through and through.

Farley is fast, new to the CB position (2 years), and took the year off.

Easy choice for me. Surtain 10 out of 10 times, if given a choice.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
is he a good CB? yes, is he going to be elite? I seriously doubt it....in college, you either get away with your athletic ability, or you have really good technique and you compensate because the competition is lesser. but you get to NFL, every one is big, fast, good.....Surtain's instincts and Fundamentals and technique is really good. he is from Alabama after all. but he lacks that elite athletic ability and going against top notch WRs in the league, with size, speed and technique is going to keep his ceiling at good, but not great. faster, quicker WRs will give him trouble and that's what NFL is got. NFL and NFL def coaches live to eat you up, find your weakness and feed on it....

He is like Diggs. I like Diggs, dont' get me wrong, but last year he got burned by faster WRs. he looked better later in the year, but the competition was worse......so he looked better as a result perhaps

if I had my choice, it would be Farley. he is a much better athlete or trade down and grab someone like Jaycee Horn....

am I being to picky? too negative on Surtain...?
He was a rookie CB. Rookie CB’s get burned. Often. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: