I keep hearing Deep DT Draft this year

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Draft that 350 lb road grader from Clemson we need the beef. If Marinelli has a problem give him his walking papers this defense has lost enough games because of lack of beef up front.

pansophy

Reaction score
Frederick coming back mitigates a lot of this, as should a healthier Martin and a bigger Williams.
If you recall what happened when Smith went out two years ago you'll remember that Frederick did nothing to mitigate that..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's kind of a misnomer. There are a a lot of upper echelon Defensive Linemen in this draft/ However, they are all going to be gone by pick 40. Every single team needs/values defensive linemen.

Nick Bosa Ohio State Junior 6-3 270 Big Ten
Josh Allen Kentucky Senior 6-4 230 SEC
Ed Oliver Houston Junior 6-2 290 AAC
Quinnen Williams Alabama RS Sophomore 6-3 285 SEC
Clelin Ferrell Clemson Junior 6-5 260 ACC
Brian Burns Florida State Junior 6-5 231 ACC
Jeffery Simmons Mississippi State Junior 6-3 301 SEC
Rashan Gary Michigan Junior 6-4 281 Big Ten
Jachai Polite Florida Junior 6-2 260 SEC
Montez Sweat Mississippi State Senior 6-5 241 SEC
Dexter Lawrence Clemson Junior 6-4 340 ACC
Christian Wilkins Clemson Senior 6-4 300 ACC
Dre'Mont Jones Ohio State RS Junior 6-2 295 Big Ten
Zach Allen Boston College Senior 6-5 285 ACC
Anthony Nelson Iowa Junior 6-7 271 Big Ten

We will still get a decent player at 58, but not necessarily a defensive linemen.

Undefeated

Reaction score
It's a pretty good class, I'd keep an eye on Khalen Saunders this week along with Daylon Mack who performed good this past week.

cnuball21

Reaction score
It's kind of a misnomer. There are a a lot of upper echelon Defensive Linemen in this draft/ However, they are all going to be gone by pick 40. Every single team needs/values defensive linemen.

Nick Bosa Ohio State Junior 6-3 270 Big Ten
Josh Allen Kentucky Senior 6-4 230 SEC
Ed Oliver Houston Junior 6-2 290 AAC
Quinnen Williams Alabama RS Sophomore 6-3 285 SEC
Clelin Ferrell Clemson Junior 6-5 260 ACC
Brian Burns Florida State Junior 6-5 231 ACC
Jeffery Simmons Mississippi State Junior 6-3 301 SEC
Rashan Gary Michigan Junior 6-4 281 Big Ten
Jachai Polite Florida Junior 6-2 260 SEC
Montez Sweat Mississippi State Senior 6-5 241 SEC
Dexter Lawrence Clemson Junior 6-4 340 ACC
Christian Wilkins Clemson Senior 6-4 300 ACC
Dre'Mont Jones Ohio State RS Junior 6-2 295 Big Ten
Zach Allen Boston College Senior 6-5 285 ACC
Anthony Nelson Iowa Junior 6-7 271 Big Ten

We will still get a decent player at 58, but not necessarily a defensive linemen.

There were 5 DTs taken in the 1st 2 rounds last year. There are arguably 8-10 DTs in the upcoming class that are top 50/60 talents, so we’ll have a solid player fall in our lap.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There were 5 DTs taken in the 1st 2 rounds last year. There are arguably 8-10 DTs in the upcoming class that are top 50/60 talents, so we’ll have a solid player fall in our lap.
and unlike that draft, this draft isn't very strong at QB, RB, WR, O Line, and CB, which means more teams will take sure-thing d-linemen, which is why I'm saying they are very likely to be gone by 58.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Who will likely be gone and who we have a **** at for DTs:

Williams - gone
Oliver - gone
Simmons - gone
Wilkins - gone
Jones - maybe
Lawrence - maybe
Tillery - maybe
Willis - probably
Gaines - probably

cnuball21

Reaction score
and unlike that draft, this draft isn't very strong at QB, RB, WR, O Line, and CB, which means more teams will take sure-thing d-linemen, which is why I'm saying they are very likely to be gone by 58.

I agree to an extent, but think there is a lot of CB talent this year, it’s an avaergae OL year and teams will overdraft skill positions regardless.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Its as deep or deeper than CB was 2 years ago.
I'm sure that doesn't help some of you...but I guess you can do a little research to find out.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Who will likely be gone and who we have a **** at for DTs:

Williams - gone
Oliver - gone
Simmons - gone
Wilkins - gone
Jones - maybe
Lawrence - maybe
Tillery - maybe
Willis - probably
Gaines - probably
You can add Gary (Michigan) to the gone part.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone know how many Marinelli style DT's are available in the draft? Were not talking 325lb human bulldozers, but more of the 3tech type that the FO likes instead. If they can't get after the QB then we aren't interested in them anyway.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Anyone know how many Marinelli style DT's are available in the draft? Were not talking 325lb human bulldozers, but more of the 3tech type that the FO likes instead. If they can't get after the QB then we aren't interested in them anyway.

Don’t think this is necessarily true.....I think the team values initial quickness/penetration skills above all else. If you happen to be 315+ with those skills, then they’ll like you. See Woods, Antwaun - who also had power to go along with really good quickness for a man his size. With that in mind, pay very close attention to Daylon Mack - he’s basically a bigger (weight wise) Woods. Would LOVE to have 2 LEGIT 1T in the roster that can actually push the pocket.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t think this is necessarily true.....I think the team values initial quickness/penetration skills above all else. If you happen to be 315+ with those skills, then they’ll like you. See Woods, Antwaun - who also had power to go along with really good quickness for a man his size. With that in mind, pay very close attention to Daylon Mack - he’s basically a bigger (weight wise) Woods. Would LOVE to have 2 LEGIT 1T in the roster that can actually push the pocket.

only meant most on here are looking for a prototypical 1tech where marinelli looks for a different type. Just because there are many good DT's doesn't mean that most or all fit into the mold Marinelli wants.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
only meant most on here are looking for a prototypical 1tech where marinelli looks for a different type. Just because there are many good DT's doesn't mean that most or all fit into the mold Marinelli wants.

Oh, I agree they don’t look for that Casey Hampton/brick wall type......Only if they can have that body type WITH the required quickness numbers.

Hardline

Reaction score
Dt is deep but all the impact players will be off the board at 58. There will be a early run on them.

conner01

Reaction score
whatever number anyone says, just cut it down . we hear this every year about a position and hardly does it translate to the NFL as they think.
DT seems to be a tough position to draft
Every year it seems half the guys that are ranked high end up avg or worse
There are lots of good prospects in the draft but most teams need them so they will go fast