I like the coaches & players

Verdict

Reaction score
I think, more than anything, I thought we were on the right path with a defacto-GM in McClay, Stephen stepping up, and a sane HC who made conservative decisions and focused on developing players and keeping the spotlight off the team. That wasn’t enough, but I thought it was the best antidote to the chaos that comes with Jerry Jones and that naturally follows then Cowboys. That’s why I was so reluctant to see that not work out, because the sort of aimless wandering we did between Jimmy and Parcells just sucks.

I feel like we’re wandering again. I don’t get how we’re using our resources. We added a bunch of VFAs who can’t play, and need to upgrade both the OL and the DL with a huge QB contract overhanging the cap. It’s just not a recipe for building a team the smart way.

I wish I felt otherwise. And I don’t go around pooping in every thread about the same issues. But in threads about our overall direction, I have to call it like I see it. If I understood what we were trying to do I’d probably rationalize it and give it a chance, but this just looks like a hodge-podge to me. No?
Its hard to argue against what you are saying. I'm in wait and see on most issues.

Sometimes it takes a while to evaluate a situation, and making too many changes at one time muddies the water sometimes. Maybe McCarthy and Co. actually WANT to tank?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its hard to argue against what you are saying. I'm in wait and see on most issues.

Sometimes it takes a while to evaluate a situation, and making too many changes at one time muddies the water sometimes. Maybe McCarthy and Co. actually WANT to tank?

In fairness to them, this is a terrible year to change staffs and systems.

I hear you.

If we hadn’t blown free agency so badly, had planned better on implementing a defense that wasn’t too confusing knowing it had to be installed remotely and with limited reps, hadn’t seen the questionable 4th down calls, and if GB hadn’t noticeably improved the last two seasons, I’d fee differently.

It just looks so poorly planned out right now.

Verdict

Reaction score

I hear you.

If we hadn’t blown free agency so badly, had planned better on implementing a defense that wasn’t too confusing knowing it had to be installed remotely and with limited reps, hadn’t seen the questionable 4th down calls, and if GB hadn’t noticeably improved the last two seasons, I’d fee differently.

Valid points. I guess it’s easy to “blame” Nolan, but is it scheme or the players.

I don’t think the defense is void of talent, but the DTs and Jaylon and the safety play need to get fixed. Ask yourself, could any NFL coach in the league fix this defense with the holes that we have in it? Maybe they could fix Jaylon. I don’t think they could fix the DT situation or the DBs. Not enough horses to get it done there on the current roster.

I am bullish on Gallimore though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many of them had their QB get hurt, let alone two top-5 tackles, and both their backups, an All Pro C?

You can't just gloss over injuries as if they don't matter.
Ron Rivera is on his 3rd QB this year, struggled with cancer treatments and had his share of injuries too and his team has trucked us twice by a combined score of 66-19. Carolina HC Matt Rhule has lost his best player Christian McCaffrey for half the season, lost his QB Teddy Bridgewater for 2 maybe 3 games, and lost two OL for 4 games, yet have cobbled together 4 wins. The giants have 4 wins wither train wreck of a season losing their best player for the season, coaching turmoil, and losing Daniel Jones for at least a game. All 3 of the above were first year coaches with their teams.

I’m not glossing over the injuries at all. I just don’t accept them as an excuse for the bad play this year. Are we saying an NFL backup player is so bad we can’t win a game with them?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I hear you.

Poorly planned? A Jerry Jones owned team?
Huh...
I may- I may have to sit down.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
How many of them had their QB get hurt, let alone two top-5 tackles, and both their backups, an All Pro C?

You can't just gloss over injuries as if they don't matter.
People are reluctant to blame injuries, and most of the time they are right to be. But this season is different. This is an avalanche.

I would think most people view the 3 premium positions in the modern NFL as QB (by far), OT and CB. You can throw in pass rush, but that comes in various forms. Sometimes it is a stud DT (Donald), sometimes a freaky Weakside DE (Ware in his prime), sometimes a freaky guy like JJ Watt or a talented 3-4 LB such as a Von Miller. You can hit it different ways.

But the QB, the OTs and the corners are on an island. The Cowboys have been slaughtered at QB and OT. They've rarely had their best corners on the field together.

Add to that losing their best OG and their best LB for long stretches. Musical chairs at C. McCoy and Hill at DT. And on and on.

Injuries aren't the only reason for the disastrous season, but they are a major, major reason.

Corso

Reaction score
Ron Rivera is on his 3rd QB this year, struggled with cancer treatments and had his share of injuries too and his team has trucked us twice by a combined score of 66-19. Carolina HC Matt Rhule has lost his best player Christian McCaffrey for half the season, lost his QB Teddy Bridgewater for 2 maybe 3 games, and lost two OL for 4 games, yet have cobbled together 4 wins. The giants have 4 wins wither train wreck of a season losing their best player for the season, coaching turmoil, and losing Daniel Jones for at least a game. All 3 of the above were first year coaches with their teams.

I’m not glossing over the injuries at all. I just don’t accept them as an excuse for the bad play this year. Are we saying an NFL backup player is so bad we can’t win a game with them?
Riverboat Ron. I just think he's kind of great. Brave, strong... and a good person, from all accounts.
Wish the Cowboys would have hired him.

shabazz

Reaction score
I like nor dislike any coach or player. I do agree however that the reasons listed are credible in judging them

Of course teams like the Chiefs have a distinct advantage over teams like the Cowboys and the Bucs with new coaches or new players

Every Coach should get 3 years to start to change the course a team is on.

I don’t rather go 0-16 with the possibility of change than 8-8 with the old tired regime

shabazz

Reaction score
Riverboat Ron. I just think he's kind of great. Brave, strong... and a good person, from all accounts.
Wish the Cowboys would have hired him.

.......how bout handsome and built too?

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score

Yes WFT trucked us. Their absolute strength matched up against cobbled together OLs. Football is a game of matchups. They've been horrible in most of their games.

Carolina hasn't been hit like the Cowboys, nor have the Giants. And both are losing teams.

I do get your point. But these aren't teams that have really been able to overcome their challenges either.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poorly planned? A Jerry Jones owned team?
Huh...
I may- I may have to sit down.

Just keep buying tickets. Next season is going to be great. [knowing wink goes here].

Corso

Reaction score
I like nor dislike any coach or player. I do agree however that the reasons listed are credible in judging them

Of course teams like the Chiefs have a distinct advantage over teams like the Cowboys and the Bucs with new coaches or new players

Every Coach should get 3 years to start to change the course a team is on.

I don’t rather go 0-16 with the possibility of change than 8-8 with the old tired regime
That reads really weird.

Corso

Reaction score
Just keep buying tickets. Next season is going to be great. [knowing wink goes here].
I purchase nothing and haven't in decades. I don't give "clicks" to peeps and sites.
I don't give ratings, I don't watch sport shows and I don't listen to sports radio. I stream games off a VPN that bounces off a VPN.

My only fan presence is right here and I'm content with that.

Let others use their money on this team.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
When it's 3/4 of your offense, then usually the answer is yes. No team is long-term competitive with backups

CAR and WAS suck too. They're just as bad as the Cowboys. Different bounces here and there don't change that.

And pick a standard. Your criticism is always that the Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl. Now, CAR and WAS is some sort of benchmark? No.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When it's 3/4 of your offense, then usually the answer is yes. No team is long-term competitive with backups

CAR and WAS suck too. They're just as bad as the Cowboys. Different bounces here and there don't change that.

And pick a standard. Your criticism is always that the Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl. Now, CAR and WAS is some sort of benchmark? No.
What about the 2010 SB champs Packers under MM? They won 4 playoff games that year with 16 players on injured reserve at the end of the season. Eleven of them were on the defensive side of the ball, where the Packers still finished in the top-five in total yards, passing yards, sacks and points allowed.

Some of those injuries came to players who stepped up to take the place of the injured starters, meaning the player relied on each Sunday was the third-string player. For example, Howard Green, cut by the New York Jets, filled in for the Packers; Erik Walden, cut by the 7-9 Miami Dolphins mid-season, was a starter for nearly three months.

No team has ever endured so many injuries and won a Super Bowl. Not saying it happens easily. But just waving a white flag to injuries and saying you can’t ever win is to me an excuse.

And saying my criticism is “always” that the Cowboys haven’t won a SB is false. You don’t have to agree with my opinions. I enjoy your opinions even when I disagree as in this case. But creating opinions for me is a stretch.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What about the 2010 SB champs Packers under MM? They won 4 playoff games that year with 16 players on injured reserve at the end of the season. Eleven of them were on the defensive side of the ball, where the Packers still finished in the top-five in total yards, passing yards, sacks and points allowed.

Some of those injuries came to players who stepped up to take the place of the injured starters, meaning the player relied on each Sunday was the third-string player. For example, Howard Green, cut by the New York Jets, filled in for the Packers; Erik Walden, cut by the 7-9 Miami Dolphins mid-season, was a starter for nearly three months.

No team has ever endured so many injuries and won a Super Bowl. Not saying it happens easily. But just waving a white flag to injuries and saying you can’t ever win is to me an excuse.

And saying my criticism is “always” that the Cowboys haven’t won a SB is false. You don’t have to agree with my opinions. I enjoy your opinions even when I disagree as in this case. But creating opinions for me is a stretch.
Yea you know who wasn't hurt on the Packers? Aaron Rodgers. Two linemen isn't 5.

Excuse for what? You lose games with worse players. That's how the NFL works. It's not waving a white flag to say that injuries mean the team has sucked.

You only have 1 opinion, but the standards for when you apply it change every time. Literally anything happens, and it's Jerry's fault, with the added qualifier that you still apply standards (i.e. culture) that haven't mattered in 20 years.

Just answer this. Are Carolina and Washington good enough to win a Super Bowl right now?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea you know who wasn't hurt on the Packers? Aaron Rodgers. Two linemen isn't 5.

Excuse for what? You lose games with worse players. That's how the NFL works. It's not waving a white flag to say that injuries mean the team has sucked.

You only have 1 opinion, but the standards for when you apply it change every time. Literally anything happens, and it's Jerry's fault, with the added qualifier that you still apply standards (i.e. culture) that haven't mattered in 20 years.

Just answer this. Are Carolina and Washington good enough to win a Super Bowl right now?
Ok here’s where we can agree. Car and WFT aren’t good teams capable of winning a SB. Agreed. Also agree it’s harder to win games with backups. And I agree that the 2010 Packers wouldn’t have won a SB without Rodgers- agree 100%.

Im just saying that our Cowboys should have played better than we have, even with the injuries. Look at Pitt last year after they lost Big Ben 3 games in and also lost several other starters. They started 1-4 and finished 8-8. Didn’t make the playoffs but they won 7 games with two backup QBs. We just need to get better at not buying the injury excuse. You may not win a SB, but you don’t have to suck. Be at least competitive.

Finally, keep the hot sports opinions coming. I appreciate that. We don’t agree here, but that fine.