I Loved the Overshown Pick, but Should the Cowboys Have Drafted Jaren Hall in the 3rd?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I didn't think Jaren Hall would make it to the 3rd round, personally. But he did. The Cowboys took DeMarvion Overshown, a player myself and others thought fit into Dan Quinn's system. I have a feeling that if Hall would have been there in the 4th, they would have taken him. They reportedly visited with Hall at the combine. Again, Overshown was one of my favorite picks, but I would have liked Jaren Hall right there even better. He has a lot of traits that would have made him a great candidate to develop behind Dak.

He gets rid of the ball fast, and for a guy who hasn't played long, he understands the game, and mechanics of the game well. Even more, like the Cowboys are preaching now, he understood the purpose of each play. That's why I think he could be a starter in Minny in a year or two. Had a better arm than people gave him credit for, and is more athletic with the ball in his hands than, say, Mahomes, which is saying a lot. Personally, Hall was my favorite QB of this years class, by a pretty good margin, too. He may not be NFL ready right now, but I think he has a good chance of having the best career in his class. We shall see.

I don't like to nitpick the draft. But for me, I would have liked to have gone for a player that gives you leverage with Dak in the future. Just how I see it. I'm trying to figure out if Jerry is in win now mode for 2023 or if he's playing it over a few years. If we get Hopkins, I'll be convinced that's the case. I just thought it would be wise to build for the future with a guy like Hall as much as I do like Overshown.

I'm not saying we're not trying to win it now if we don't get Hopkins. I think we're in good shape with our guys right now. But one place where we have uncertain depth is at WR. I want to give Tolbert, Fehoko, Cropper, Durden, and Brooks a chance to make it the team, and I want to develop young guys. But it's hard to complain about getting a guy like Hopkins just in case Lamb or Cooks gets injured. You know, if we really want to win right now.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Their interest in QBs would have been 4th round or lower.
I just see a lot of value in Hall, as a 3rd round pick. You can't find a Brock Purdy or even a Dak Prescott in every draft.. Sometimes, you have to use an earlier pick.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If the Cowboys wanted a quarterback to challenge or replace Dak in the future they would have traded back with KC and taken Levis at 31. Next season there will be about 10+ quarterbacks that will be better prospects then Hall. The Cowboys will be ok.
Exactly right.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Exactly right.
I personally like Hall more than Levis. The league didn't think they were that far apart. Hall only fell a couple rounds because of his injury history and inexperience. If not for that, they're about the same level of prospect, IMO. Hall is also 2 years older.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hall was a 5th round pick no?

Also he’s already 25,or if you prefer just 4 years younger than Dak, who has played 7 years in the NFL

I liked Hall as well but as a 5th or 6th round pick.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
If the Cowboys wanted a quarterback to challenge or replace Dak in the future they would have traded back with KC and taken Levis at 31. Next season there will be about 10+ quarterbacks that will be better prospects then Hall. The Cowboys will be ok.
yeah i agree here. we need to see how Dak does this year. Next year's draft is loaded with QBs

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/QB/1/2024

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I like the idea of drafting QBs frequently, because the financial upside is so enormous. If Overshown turns into a Hall of Fame caliber player, he's worth $20M per season. If Jaren Hall turns into a Daniel Jones level player, he's worth $40M per season.

I didn't like Hall as a prospect though. He doesn't have the arm talent of even a low end starter like Daniel Jones or Jared Goff, and he's not the coach-on-the-field type brainiac you would need to be to compensate. Hall's an athletically limited gamer in the Taylor Heinecke and Gardner Minshew mold. Colt McCoy is like their patron saint.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
I didn't think Jaren Hall would make it to the 3rd round, personally. But he did. The Cowboys took DeMarvion Overshown, a player myself and others thought fit into Dan Quinn's system. I have a feeling that if Hall would have been there in the 4th, they would have taken him. They reportedly visited with Hall at the combine. Again, Overshown was one of my favorite picks, but I would have liked Jaren Hall right there even better. He has a lot of traits that would have made him a great candidate to develop behind Dak.

He gets rid of the ball fast, and for a guy who hasn't played long, he understands the game, and mechanics of the game well. Even more, like the Cowboys are preaching now, he understood the purpose of each play. That's why I think he could be a starter in Minny in a year or two. Had a better arm than people gave him credit for, and is more athletic with the ball in his hands than, say, Mahomes, which is saying a lot. Personally, Hall was my favorite QB of this years class, by a pretty good margin, too. He may not be NFL ready right now, but I think he has a good chance of having the best career in his class. We shall see.

I don't like to nitpick the draft. But for me, I would have liked to have gone for a player that gives you leverage with Dak in the future. Just how I see it. I'm trying to figure out if Jerry is in win now mode for 2023 or if he's playing it over a few years. If we get Hopkins, I'll be convinced that's the case. I just thought it would be wise to build for the future with a guy like Hall as much as I do like Overshown.

I'm not saying we're not trying to win it now if we don't get Hopkins. I think we're in good shape with our guys right now. But one place where we have uncertain depth is at WR. I want to give Tolbert, Fehoko, Cropper, Durden, and Brooks a chance to make it the team, and I want to develop young guys. But it's hard to complain about getting a guy like Hopkins just in case Lamb or Cooks gets injured. You know, if we really want to win right now.
I think that for a developing QB that early is creating unnecessary tension where the Cowboys plan on extending Dak. Hall is not a first round talent that fell to the 3rd.

Wait until you see Overshown run down Hurts or Sequon on the outside. Then you won’t have any problems with that pick. He’s a starter early.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Hall was a 5th round pick. Not sure what Overshown has to do with him. If they wanted him they could’ve drafted him.
Right. I was thinking he was a round earlier myself. Still, something makes me think we might have missed something with Hall. He would have fit what McCarthy's doing, and would have fit the dysfunctional culture of Dallas, if he could have elevated his game. I think he can. Rounds of a draft are just rounds of a draft after their careers are over. That's why I always get a laugh when someone else projects a draft round grade on prospects and tears down someone's opinion of a player, and then you find out that person being torn down has 300 percent more information than the one attacking him. 'Tis a hoot.

I've also said this in recent years, and I stand by it. It's not so much about where you pick in the draft order; it's the quality and integrity and often times creativity in your evaluation that determines who gets a boom or bust player. We put way too much emphasis on round, when the more important thing is the eval.

For those of us who aren't paid to travel to evaluate personnel or coordinate across the country with other scouts, just watching highlights can give you an idea about the player, but you don't get to talk to the player, his coaches, his teammates, opponents, and there's a lot more to the scouting process than just watching highlights. It's just more time-consuming, and not as fun to break down players' weaknesses, but if you were getting paid for it, you'd want to be interested in that because avoiding busts is, in my opinion, just as important as landing the player talking heads and arm-chair scouts like myself rate too highly on limited information.

If I take a view that isn't popular, it usually means I've somehow obtained more information than most, or am interpreting the information differently. The other issue is . . . lo and behold, we're all wrong sometimes. Anyone who tries to pretend they're not wrong or that the other person might be right are as pathetic as the ones who feel the need to perpetually point it out. For a board with so many educated folks, I guess not many really learned much from the Eastern part of the hemisphere, concepts like "maybe-ism" etc.

Last edited:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I want l

I want little prime time

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Just admit you hate the Cowboys and go back to your home forum.
:laugh:

Yeah, I'll join you over there bro. We probably spend too much time on here to be haters.

And Hall was apparently a 5th rounder, so I correct that. I guess it would have been Fehoko. I still liked that pick, but I would like to have Jaren Hall, too. lol

T-RO

Reaction score

Jaren Hall was 163rd on the big board. That's deep into day three of the draft.

He was selected in the 5th round.

Yet you are criticizing the Cowboys for not picking this kid in the third round? Complete silliness. It's extremely unlikely this kid will make anything other than an emergency start or two, if he even makes a roster.

Note to self: Why did I even bother to reply to this thread? Don't reply to nonsense.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jaren Hall was 163rd on the big board. That's deep into day three of the draft.

He was selected in the 5th round.

Yet you are criticizing the Cowboys for not picking this kid in the third round? Complete silliness. It's extremely unlikely this kid will make anything other than an emergency start or two, if he even makes a roster.

Note to self: Why did I even bother to reply to this thread? Don't reply to nonsense.
No, I am not criticizing them. Just pondering possibilities in hindsight. It wouldn't be totally out of the question that he outplays his bigboard placement. I see him as a higher round player. The knock on him was concussion history and inexperience. He had a nice completion percentage. And looks like he learns fast. He was a baseball player..so he has some catching up to do. But has the mentality to handle the pressure.

T-RO

Reaction score
I see him as a higher round player.
You see what you want to see.
"the mentality to handle pressure", "looks like he learns fast" :laugh:

You convince yourself of things with child-like ease.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You see what you want to see.
"the mentality to handle pressure", "looks like he learns fast" :laugh:

You convince yourself of things with child-like ease.
Not really. I look a little deeper into things. Like their history and then the complexity of the things they are doing on the field. You can make the assumption, but then I can look back and see you making it, and laugh.