CFZ I'm glad the NFL has returned to running and defense

leeblair

Reaction score
It's great to see so many teams return to running the ball instead of the pass happy games that had become the norm over the past few years.
And defenses across the league are holding opponents to the teens in scoring more now.
It was bound to happen, as offensive coordinators recognized that defenses were built for speed and lighter defenders to rush the passer and cover the receivers/tight ends, and neglecting the run defense. Every team needs a great offensive line to protect the quarterback either way, so why not take advantage of lighter built defenses by running the ball?
And, during this time of transition, the team that finds the right balance is the team to be reckoned with.
Dallas has two elite backs, and while the defense struggles against the run at times, they are able to rush the quarterback and provide enough run defense to manage games against teams not yet up to speed in the run game.
Who knows? We might start seeing fullbacks in the backfield again and receiving backs that always give the quarterback an option when protection breaks down.
The question is, who will be the team that finds the right balance on both sides to put them on top.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
Now if we can go back to having an even number of games in a season and back to the pre-2020 jersey number requirements by position. I hate seeing random single digit jersey numbers on anyone who's not a qb, punter or kicker.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
In my area today the early game was Patriots and Jets and I think that game set football back 40 years. 10-3 final.

I love great defense as much as anyone but quietly the NFL is probably upset right now. All these rules are in place to open up offenses since high scoring games supposedly are what the fans want to see. It's nice to see defenses are adapting.

Personally I think any close game is fun to watch, no matter if it's 41-38 or 16-13.

leeblair

Reaction score
It was forced. Somewhere along the way, NFL coaches forgot that when you pass every down, it makes it that much easier to defend, especially for the pass rushers who can just pin their ears back and go, instead of making sure to not get gashed by the run.
I love the old fashion "draw play". Moore actually called it once vs Green Bay.
I remember how teams used to stack the box when Garrett was coaching because they knew he would abandon the run early and they'd only have to worry about the pass.
There's a reason for the running game, and it looks like McCarthy and Moore are finally bringing it back the way it is supposed to be.

Hardline

Reaction score
If I was a coach I would've never left it. Ground and pound wins more times than not.
And this is exactly why I have no problem using premium draft picks on a RB. And yes. I would draft Bijan Robinson with a first round pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It was forced. Somewhere along the way, NFL coaches forgot that when you pass every down, it makes it that much easier to defend, especially for the pass rushers who can just pin their ears back and go, instead of making sure to not get gashed by the run.
So Chiefs ran their way to a superbowl? And Rams? And Tampa? And Patriots?

Ok then

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
And this is exactly why I have no problem using premium draft picks on a RB. And yes. I would draft Bijan Robinson with a first round pick.

Just saying, imagine a one-two punch of Robinson and Pollard.

Of course if Dallas drafts Robinson that means Pollard walked in free agency.

leeblair

Reaction score
So, you don't understand how the short passing game works as a running game? OK then.
Honestly, the screen pass should count as a run unless the ball is caught past the line of scrimmage. That's how stats don't always tell the truth.

kskboys

Reaction score
Honestly, the screen pass should count as a run unless the ball is caught past the line of scrimmage. That's how stats don't always tell the truth.
The pass happy games that work in the NFL are the ones w/ a lot of short passes to keep the opposing pass rush in check. And even those guys run the ball.

ESisback

Reaction score
It's great to see so many teams return to running the ball instead of the pass happy games that had become the norm over the past few years.
And defenses across the league are holding opponents to the teens in scoring more now.
It was bound to happen, as offensive coordinators recognized that defenses were built for speed and lighter defenders to rush the passer and cover the receivers/tight ends, and neglecting the run defense. Every team needs a great offensive line to protect the quarterback either way, so why not take advantage of lighter built defenses by running the ball?
And, during this time of transition, the team that finds the right balance is the team to be reckoned with.
Dallas has two elite backs, and while the defense struggles against the run at times, they are able to rush the quarterback and provide enough run defense to manage games against teams not yet up to speed in the run game.
Who knows? We might start seeing fullbacks in the backfield again and receiving backs that always give the quarterback an option when protection breaks down.
The question is, who will be the team that finds the right balance on both sides to put them on top.

I’m with you, bro! Running, defense, balance!

leeblair

Reaction score
A lot of these younger fans don't know the history of the run game vs the passing game. The NFL was a heavy run league with a tight end and a fullback in the game, along with the tailback.
It was the AFL that encouraged the passing game when they were competing with the NFL and attracting audiences, but after the merger some teams still stuck with it.
The Cowboys of the 90's glory achieved it with a fullback and tight end always in the game, and two receivers.
As coaching became more glamorous but less stable, and the NFL started making more money from tv deals they changed the rules to make it easier to succeed in the passing game so tv audiences would grow. But the quality of the game has suffered greatly because of those decisions.

kskboys

Reaction score
A lot of these younger fans don't know the history of the run game vs the passing game. The NFL was a heavy run league with a tight end and a fullback in the game, along with the tailback.
It was the AFL that encouraged the passing game when they were competing with the NFL and attracting audiences, but after the merger some teams still stuck with it.
The Cowboys of the 90's glory achieved it with a fullback and tight end always in the game, and two receivers.
As coaching became more glamorous but less stable, and the NFL started making more money from tv deals they changed the rules to make it easier to succeed in the passing game so tv audiences would grow. But the quality of the game has suffered greatly because of those decisions.
Cowboys of the 90's were running teams that passed as needed.

817Gill

Reaction score
It’s just a natural correction. Teams put all their eggs in the passing game basket and at some point people realized that smaller faster defenders meant you could run a lot easier.

It’s not a conscious decision, just a natural industry correction.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Dallas has one elite back. The other one is 3 yards and a cloud of dust .

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Amen. Preach.