I miss mediocrity

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I’ll be happy with safe or risky but I’m sick and tired of dumb! Get me somebody SMART!!!

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Why can we we not get a SMART HC in Dallas!?
:banghead:
Well it all starts at the very top of the organisation so ......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree.

From watching the team play this season we don't have many high football IQ players. All joking aside, it's a genuine problem.

Let's take yesterday for example...

Jaylon Smith - jumping around before the ball is snapped on most plays like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

LDVE - what on earth was he doing when Smith had made the interception? Just make the regulation block on Mclaurin Dumbo.

Wilson - ok so the play call itself was dumb given it was unnecessary and it may not have even been part of the play design but there was an open receiver. Yet he never looked downfield or to even throw the ball then he connects. Use some initiative dummy.

Zeke - simply hold the ball in a way to not fumble under zero duress. One job...

The defense often looked clueless in the second half before the ball had been snapped. They were looking around for instructions. What on earth was going on!?

So I agree with your post. Perhaps Garrett knew that we had a roster full of space cadets and just kept it simple and all joking aside the mindless clapping for easy positive reinforcement wasn't as silly as it once seemed!

We can argue about Prescott, the offensive line and the coaching etc but the starting point is that we need some smarter footballers. Guys who actually know what they are doing and have an organic feel for the game.

Even Lamb. Why has he dropped easy passes at really bad moments yet made difficult catches...would he rather look good for the highlight reel?

I agree man....I don' recall questioning this teams intellect last year....maybe its the head coach that's dumb?

cowboyed

Reaction score
Garrett has 10 years of stupidity. Who can forget him icing his own kicker?

In all fairness Garrett has some good seasons as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys including being selected as NFL Head Coach of the Year in 2016. Mike McCarthy has been a head coach even longer than Garrett and obviously experienced more success. He also imported almost his entire coaching staff save 2, retaining namely Kellen Moore and Leon Lett and those were his decision. I think criticizing McCarthy is justified to some degree because some of the risk he and his staff have taken, some of which had worse consequences than Garrett icing our own kicker.

That stated this has been a disastrous year for a new regime to take over considering the limited practices, new scheme implementation and overall interaction between coaches and players while contending with Covid-19 health consideration and behavioral protocols. Then there is the devastating number of injuries particularly to key players throughout this season, let alone the death of the Cowboys beloved strength and conditioning coach Markus Paul just before game day.

Jipper

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t....it’s much easier and less stressful watching s terrible team that you know is going to lose vs a average one that is incredibly frustrating.....

granted I’d rather them be good but at least the games aren’t stressful

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't miss perpetual mediocrity. Sometimes you need to be bad before you can get back to great again. We didn't have that 13 and 3 season until we went 4 and 12 and restocked the cupboards.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
4-12 is a lot better than 8-8 it gives you a better chance at greater prospects. This isn’t to say I’m enjoying 4-12 I hate this season, but at least we will be rewarded with a top 5 prospect
if that's what we look forward to. a high draft pick...then things really suck....