I say again, Martellus Bennett has mega talent...(Bennett on Irvin show comments)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
... I think the most of any of our rookies. Even more than Felix and Jenkins, and they both are very talented.

But Bennett... He looks special to me. He doesn't even really know what he's doing yet, and the game looks easy to him. We all know he has to keep working hard at it, but I'm not sure there will be a linebacker in the game that can really cover him once he learns all the nuances of the position.

Woods

Reaction score
For someone his size, he is incredibily athletic.

Hard to imagine at his age he's already around 265 lbs and can move as well as he does.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I started a Marty B thread last night. I am really impressed with him. He could turn out to be the biggest pick of the 08 draft, but if Felix comes back and picks up where he left off, he'll be our rookie MVP hands down. We might look back on this draft class as something special.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yes, this draft could be special
Felix Jones, our game breaker like chris johnson is in tennessee
mike jenkins, dont give up on him, he has talent, very smooth,
Bennett, he will take some pressure off of Witten
Choice, he helps out on special teams, a gamer,, plays with heart
Scandrick, our best young cornerback, maybe better than newman or jenkins in time,

Dont forget, Roy Williams WR counts as a draft pick this year, too, in a way, since we gave up a 1, 3, 6 for him, and he helped us last night in some big ways. I think after he started catching some balls he loosened things up for T O.

Thats 5 key players from this draft,

and if we do what i think we will do in 2009 draft, packaage some picks together, we can get some good young players to keep us over the top for years to come

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'd say our rookie class right now looks like:

1. Scandrick
2. Felix
3. Bennett
4. Jenkins

Almost in reverse order of where they were drafted.

superpunk

Reaction score
But can we keep him once he realizes that potential?

Witten is here for life. If Bennett is what you think he is, we'll be watching him tear up the league in Seattle in a few years.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;2425352 said:
Dont forget, Roy Williams WR counts as a draft pick this year, too, in a way, since we gave up a 1, 3, 6 for him
Next year since those are the pics we gave away.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Bennett does look like he can be a playmaker for us if he gets more consistent.

I really like our weapons on offense. Hopefully we'll get them utilized more effectively down the stretch.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone notice how Choice has had a nice burst the few times he has carried the ball? What is his average per carry? I bet it's 5 or 6 yards. He looks like he could help us in relief if the situation ever arises. And he's made some good special teams plays.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bach;2425363 said:
Bennett does look like he can be a playmaker for us if he gets more consistent.

I really like our weapons on offense. Hopefully we'll get them utilized more effectively down the stretch.
I think that depends on 2 factors.

1. Can the OL keep up what they did last night?

2. Will Tony's hand continue to improve? It is really clear to me that he is nowhere near 100% yet.

Dcz84

Reaction score
He damn sure can block, he had some nice seal blocks right up the middle on Barbers bigger runs.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2425318 said:
... I think the most of any of our rookies. Even more than Felix and Jenkins, and they both are very talented.

But Bennett... He looks special to me. He doesn't even really know what he's doing yet, and the game looks easy to him. We all know he has to keep working hard at it, but I'm not sure there will be a linebacker in the game that can really cover him once he learns all the nuances of the position.

Haha - YES!

Its funny... I said that there was something special about this kid in TC. I couldnt explain it.. just a feeling.

Just watching him on the field.... its a larger than life sorta feeling. He seems to be a man amongst boys on the field. I think he can dominate.

With that said...

I dont think he can contribute MORE than Felix. Felix should be in on MOST/ALOT of offensive plays. Martellus is gonna be a 1 or 2 plays/game effective contributor.

Felix will contribute 1-2 or more PLUS he will contribute in other ways on the field.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
It's up to Bennett how good he'll become.

And that scares me a little.

There's no questioning his talent. It jumps off the screen at you.

Hopefully he'll fulfill all that potential. We'll see.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yes, bennett can be a beast if he wants to be, its up to him,

I am still high on rodney hannah too, dont forget about him, could be next year we have the best tight end combo in the league in witten, bennett and hannah

on what hostile said;

2. Will Tony's hand continue to improve? It is really clear to me that he is nowhere near 100% yet.

4. Garrett like someone said last night, i think it was T O. We are going to have some new packages, every week now. Garrett must work on that, and keep evolving this offense with T O, Roy Williams, Austin, Felix Jones, the wishbone offense, when a team stacks the line against us with 8 players on defense.

5. This isnt offense but counts in a big way, the special teams must be fixed, against a good team with talent on special teams, they will kill us, if we let that happen again. I dont know the answer, but this is what Babe Laufenberg ex cowboys QB said, on the kickoff return by cartwright, the cowboys on special teams didnt attack, they sat back and absorbed hits, reached and grabbed, that whatever it is, must be fixed.

I rememeber listening to what Folk the kicker said on special teams, that sometimes they dont practice or have meetings with coach read. That to me goes back to what albert breer said about Wade and his special teams when he was head coach of Buffalo. Breer saiid something like everyone knows how you dont put a lot of emphasis on special teams, and it is hurting you.

Could it be that the cowboys arent putting a lot of extra time to get this special teaams problems fixed, and wade doesnt believe in it. Again, wades past history, he has always gotten hurt by his special teams when he was head coach with buffalo, denver, and now dallas.

This has got to be fixed, no matter what.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief;2425397 said:

You know, I was as hard on him as anyone during Hard Knocks, but it showed me something when he scored his first-ever TD against the Rams on a really nice play and just matter-of-factly flipped the ball over his shoulder and jogged off the field. I know it's a little thing, but it showed he understood that his team was taking a beating and a big celebration wasn't appropriate at that time... Unlike, say, Antonio Bryant.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2425318 said:

Were you saying he had mega talent all the while Martellus was not being played and sitting on the bench? If so, you are farsighted.
If you were only saying it when he scored a TD, then . . . typical.:rolleyes:

But, yes, by all means, lets see plenty more of Martellus, especially when he creates a mismatch or when all the world is covering T.O. and Williams.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Hostile;2425371 said:

:star: I feel the same way. Our OL needs to continue to play as they did last night, and hopefully, Romo's finger will continue to heal without any further injury to it.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Have there been any interviews with Read at any point, other than maybe training camp? It would be interesting to see what his take is...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;2425397 said:

It really can when he pushes himself.