I think the Dak deal is already done

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry doesn't need to keep a signing secret to keep Dallas in the news. The pundits do the job for him actually.

Player X is available, Dallas may be interested = clicks

Maybe a deal on principal is close, but I think if there is a deal, they would want it out there. Especially Dak and his agent. As then it means any endorsements can start that much sooner.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. It could be done. Jerry loves keeping the media & fanbase at bay.
Problem with that is his agent. If he got his deal, no way he's not announcing that, there are prospective clients watching this.

The problem for Prescott's agent is the FO is already known for being round heeled with a WR, DE and RB and actually capitulated to a RB with 2 years left. However, if he can get top dollar for a Tier 2 QB, he's a superstar agent. And the fact thet he didn't bite last year just shores that up.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jerry doesn't need to keep a signing secret to keep Dallas in the news. The pundits do the job for him actually.

Maybe a deal on principal is close, but I think if there is a deal, they would want it out there. Especially Dak and his agent. As then it means any endorsements can start that much sooner.
As then it means any endorsements can start that much sooner.[/QUOTE]

Very good point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I will be very surprised if he gets any more than he already has, which is more than any other QB. And don't know if he would be interested as much in supplementing 30M+ a year and a fat signing bonus.

I think he's been playing the Money for Nothing game because of his comparatively low salary and opportunities because he's the DC QB but he's already pushing the envelope. Aikman had a lot of opportunities he passed on. No QB ever cashed in on endorsements like that ***** Manning.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Disagree. Dak's agent is waiting for the salary cap figures to be released March 1. Once they see those numbers, they'll know how much over they want to go. My opinion (might stink).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry would like nothing more than to get a buttload of attention immediately, so I don't think he'd put off the news for a minute more than he had to. It's not like he can't find something new and stupid to say or do, to stay in the spotlight.

Besides, Dak's camp isn't gonna just sit on the news with new potential clients out there.
:)

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Garretts situation has nothing to do with Dak's. Garrett had a contract that was expiring and Jones just didn't want to fire him.

Maybe Jones didn't want to fire him early because the Dallas Cowboys Head Coach situation was trending daily. Everyone just assumes that the billionaire is a buffoon that cant make up his mind but I think he knew exactly how to keep the spotlights on.

Or maybe I'm just bored with the offseason.

SSoup

Reaction score
Dragging out the perception of a contract negotiation just to stay in the headlines is dumb, because all those headlines are creating the perception that we're a bumbling mess right now. Which makes the team (or the product he's selling) look worse to consumers. And makes us look like a less appealing option to any free agent we might be interesting in luring here (or talking into staying).

So, no, I don't think the deal is done. Besides, he could announce the deal is done and move on to milking the Amari Cooper or Byron Jones negotiations for drama and headlines. Or the yearly "Jerry's might do something crazy in the draft this year, y'all" storyline. It's not like we lose our ability to stay relevant in the media landscape the second we re-sign our QB.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I’ll make JJ a deal. For only 10% of what Dak wants, I’ll sign a ten year contract with no raises.

We will build the entire offense around my ability to hand the ball off with the occasional wildcard of a screen pass.

ESisback

Reaction score
Dragging out the perception of a contract negotiation just to stay in the headlines is dumb, because all those headlines are creating the perception that we're a bumbling mess right now. Which makes the team (or the product he's selling) look worse to consumers. And makes us look like a less appealing option to any free agent we might be interesting in luring here (or talking into staying).

So, no, I don't think the deal is done. Besides, he could announce the deal is done and move on to milking the Amari Cooper or Byron Jones negotiations for drama and headlines. Or the yearly "Jerry's might do something crazy in the draft this year, y'all" storyline. It's not like we lose our ability to stay relevant in the media landscape the second we re-sign our QB.

Good points!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont have much more to add than the thread title.

I'll just say this. Jerry loves Dallas in the news cycle. Dak is dominating the news cycle week after week and will until he signs. Theres nothing to be gained by signing Dak now vs. at the last minute. The only thing that changes is how much Dallas is in the news, and Jerry wouldnt want that to go away.

Think about it. For over a year theyve been close. We all saw how long the Jason Garrett thing dragged on, basically as long as it could.

This just seems like classic Jerry and I think we've all bought into his game.
18d8d8d9dfdee171ae9f62fbd9874618.jpg

Only the Tag at best no mega-deal for Dak!!!!

starfan1

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. If they had a deal Dak would have said so publicly when asked.

The team is probably trying to low-ball Dak with an offer in the Goff and Wentz range.

Dak has earned a big contract with his excellent play the past 4 years. The team made a mistake by not signing him a year ago, and that’s going to increase the price they will have to pay now.
I agree with everything you said except the low ball being in wentz and Goff range. That’s exactly where it should be and I’m a Dak supporter

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said except the low ball being in wentz and Goff range. That’s exactly where it should be and I’m a Dak supporter

Perhaps so, but those deals are a year old already and Dak now has the leverage those two didn’t since he is no longer under contract.

It was a mistake not getting Dak signed last year and that’s why he will get a bigger deal than Wentz and Goff when he eventually signs. Jerry is to blame for this.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Dak’s deal was done it would be announced. The Texans are working on re-signing Deshaun Watson this offseason. Dak and his agent are probably waiting to see what Watson gets. Dak is going to want more than Watson. If Dak’s deal was already done he would want it announced before Watson’s deal is done. He’s not going to want it to appear that he signed for less than Watson. Continuing to wait to re-sign Dak is a distraction. This is not something Jerry wants to drag on.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it’s done also. The question is does he want to steal thunder from the combine or the draft. I think the draft. Maybe make it look like we maybe trying to move up to get a QB and then BOOM. Dak signed to 4 years and 140 million making him the highest paid QB for 37 seconds until mahomes gets paid.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
These media guys take pride in having the exclusive or being to first to report a new scoop. So I'm pretty sure some media element has slready paid Dak for the info. Meaning we will know before the ink is dry.