I thought Rivera was the missing link

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Who knew all five of them had to be replaced?

Funny, but there is one myth I certainly hope we get rid of soon.

That is the one about Rivera being able to make an ordinary RT extraordinary. Seems to me, he struggled a little himself the other night as well.

I think Ryan Young said it again today. Totally asinine.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Funny, but there is one myth I certainly hope we get rid of soon.

That is the one about Rivera being able to make an ordinary RT extraordinary. Seems to me, he struggled a little himself the other night as well.

I think Ryan Young said it again today. Totally asinine.

Who said 'extraordinary", Alex?

More like passable.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Who said 'extraordinary", Alex?

More like passable.

I don't buy into that theory regardless.

I can understand the "Dan Campbell can help" idea because he can by chipping the DE. But a guard making an ordinary tackle better? Not likely.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I don't buy into that theory regardless.

I can understand the "Dan Campbell can help" idea because he can by chipping the DE. But a guard making an ordinary tackle better? Not likely.
I've seen plenty of struggling young linemen 'settle down' when a vet was brought in beside him. Could be developmental readiness was about to kick in anyway, but the stablilizing force of an experienced confident player alongside hastens that, imo.

Shame on Ryan...I bet he's still grumbling about what Bill did in 99..the near total revamping of the line...firing both starting guards Todd Burger and Matt O'Dwyer and leaving Young to fend for himself along with rook Randy Thomas.
The two outed guards had ten years of experience between them and Bill chose to let five young guards with ZERO game experience duke it out in camp.

Those two, Ryan and his buddy Randy, did do just fine, and quickly, but they were both as bright as they come.

But the more I think about it, and what Bill is NOT doing here, the more I wonder if this line building piece by piece is gonna work.

In 99, when Bill shocked the AFC by tearing down half a line that had been good enough to go to the AFC Championship Game, he gave no more reason than his disgust that Cyrtis Marin had been taken down no less than 95 times at or behind the LOS in 98,

It was all run blocking motivated...the Jets had been able to score the second highest pts in the AFC, so pass protection was not an issue.

Bill hired an ex guard named Roberts to tutor the kids (which is who Rivera reminds me of). He drafted three players on the line, and brought in as many undrafted rookies as he could find..

Tackles aren't quite as easy to find, but I suspect the day is coming Tuna's disgust mounts high enough to throw out the lot of them.

He has done it before.

Mash

Reaction score
The problem was here in the Campo era....and it continues........3 starters are for certain....Allen and Adams......and Rivera......the others are still question marks and we still make stupid mistakes......and at the worst possiable times.

Eddie

Reaction score
I think the rebuilding begins when Flo and LA are gone.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
he is playing hurt...hamstring...fergy hurt too...same with spears...i hope this is not a precursor for the year...we dont need any injuries to these guys...we need them!