I thought under the new CBA players weren't able to hold out?

Cwby41

Reaction score
I thought I read under the new CBA players weren't able to hold out? Does anyone have any more clarification on this and if so when does that go into effect?
Also how will the CAP be effected by the Virus? For example no fans in stands or less games played? How would teams figure salaries for the following year if the cap stays the same or goes down (which I doubt very much would happen) but in these times who knows?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I thought I read under the new CBA players weren't able to hold out? Does anyone have any more clarification on this and if so when does that go into effect?
Also how will the CAP be effected by the Virus? For example no fans in stands or less games played? How would teams figure salaries for the following year if the cap stays the same or goes down (which I doubt very much would happen) but in these times who knows?
Players get fined more and getting credit for the season is a bit more difficult. Also the fine cant be forgiven, as I suppose was standard practice.

Who is holding out btw?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Camp has to start before a player can be called a holdout.

All of the new rules go into play this year.

The NFL could lose about 3 billion if it played with no fans for the whole year. It made 16 billion last year. The players are set to get 48% of all revenue in 2021. But one could argue that, if no one is in the stands then more will be watching at home. Which means better ratings and more money from ads. So who knows how things will shake out financially?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

just an FYI, your question may not be Dak related, but keep in mind that until he signs the franchise tag, he isn’t under contract and not holding out

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't think we have any players coming up that would demand huge contracts, other than what is going on with Dak. And he will get paid highly eventually.
So don't think we will have any players holding out to be concerned over.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I still say that given QB salaries being so disproportionate with that of other positions, this would not prevent a QB from holding out.

40 grand a day up against the tens of millions in question wouldnt deter anyone, forgivable or not.

But theres probably more to it....at least I hope there is.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL could lose about 3 billion if it played with no fans for the whole year. It made 16 billion last year. The players are set to get 48% of all revenue in 2021. But one could argue that, if no one is in the stands then more will be watching at home. Which means better ratings and more money from ads. So who knows how things will shake out financially?
That money from ads, except on NFLN, is not theirs, that belongs to the nets that pay the right to carry fees. And TV nets are hurting like the rest of the country so I don't think they're looking to be charitable with the NFL.

If they decide they can only play the games without spectators, I see an emergency meeting between the NFL/NFLPA to come up with a plan and we could see a flattening of the cap over enough years to make up for that 3B shortfall.

The NFLPA has to look at it as something is better than nothing because if the season gets cancelled, nobody gets paid.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Half of the CZ will boycott watching the Cowboys if JJ signs Dak. That will hurt the cap room. Lol

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

People are watching significantly more TV now.
Entertainment services aren't hurting as long as they can get entertainment into the homes.
Even movies released direct to PPV are making a killing.
The antiquated nature of big networks and the rigidity has cost them big time.
They have long lead times on shows and broadcasts.
More fluid providers via streaming have made a killing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A CBA can't make someone go to training camp. It can only allow harsher penalties if a player holds out. But nobody is holding out now because no mandatory workouts have started.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
That money from ads, except on NFLN, is not theirs, that belongs to the nets that pay the right to carry fees. And TV nets are hurting like the rest of the country so I don't think they're looking to be charitable with the NFL.

If they decide they can only play the games without spectators, I see an emergency meeting between the NFL/NFLPA to come up with a plan and we could see a flattening of the cap over enough years to make up for that 3B shortfall.

The NFLPA has to look at it as something is better than nothing because if the season gets cancelled, nobody gets paid.
It's my understanding that the NFL gets paid a base rate by the networks. But if viewership goes over a certain set ratings mark the amount paid by advertisers increase. So if the networks are recieving more money from NFL games, then it well within reason to believe that the NFL is receiving more money from the networks.

On the flipside in viewership isn't up to par the networks have to give some money back to the advertisers. So when the networks lose on ratings the NFL loses nothing. When the networks win on ratings he NFL wins. The NFL is a billion dollar business and I always expect billion dollar businesses to make deals that take of care of themselves, while minimizing loses.

But I could be wrong.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wonder if the NFL would demand pay per view? Might meet with resistance.

lkelly

Reaction score
One of the massive problems with the entertainment industry is that most forms of content generation are on hold. There are hundreds of thousands of people in Hollywood currently out of work. Almost nothing is in production and they don't have a solid plan to figure out how to get it back on track. It's nice that Netflix has seen a subscriber bump, but their backlog of original content is currently capped for the most part.

Of course outlets that require sports content to survive are also freaking out. It's a crazy dynamic where there are tons of captive eyeballs but no live sports and a quickly diminishing supply of prerecorded (unwatched) shows/movies.

Cwby41

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers its appreciated. This wasn't a Dak thread at all.Tired of it, just curious how things would work out. Thanks for the reply

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

The vast majority of the cap money comes from the TV contracts, but there would be less total money because of if the stands are empty. The league makes zero dollars from any ad or commercial run during games. The networks get all of the advertising money. That's a large part of the money for the contracts they sign with the league.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Dak won’t hold out. He won’t miss game checks. If they don’t work out a long term deal by 7/15, then they literally can’t negotiate a long term deal until after the season. So Dak will play under the tag for $31m or not play for nothing. I don’t see any way or reason Dak “holds out”.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

My guess is if the season is shorten and less games are played the networks will withhold some money for then 2021 season and that will cause a drop in the cap. It's also my guess that if that does happen that a temporary change in the cap will happen for just the 2021 season. My guess they will use similar rules as the NBA or MLB where there isn't a hard cap.

These are just guess on my part.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Who is holding out? If, by chance, you're thinking Dak think again. He's not under contract.

I don't think there's anything to prevent players from holding out - are you going to drag them in by force? I do think the penalties for doing so are stiffer now.