I was just wondering if it's the older fans who see what I see in Dak

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm 53- almost 54 years old. I have been a fan of the Cowboys since the early 70's- when I was old enough to know about them.
I've seen the likes of Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Pat Haden, Danny White, Joe Montana, Brian Sipe, Dan Pastorini, Craig Morton, John Elway, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, and others like Brett Favre on their best and worst days.
It's not that Dak can't learn. He's a great athlete.
But I don't see in him the instincts of any of the quarterbacks I just mentioned in regards to leadership skills and making a team better.
I'm just curious if it's the older generation that sees what I see?
One thing Dak does better is that he doesn't throw many interceptions, but I am not sure if that comes from the fact that he strictly follows the route tree or is just more aware.
But he doesn't seem to have "it" when it comes to leadership.
But is it the older guys who see what I see?
Just curious.
I hear what your saying but its not his leadership that bothers me. I see a guy who has a lot of good qualities and works hard. His problem biggest issue is his weak arm and accuracy which is absolutely the worst thing to lack when being an NFL QB. He has made the most out of his talent but he has hit his ceiling. His swivel hip thing is something he should of learned in the 8th grade. Dak needs a clean pocket with time to take a step and swivel his hips for a full wind up to deliver the ball with normal velocity that other QBs can do with one short step. His accuracy was hidden in 2016 but man has exposed since. His redzone passing is not good at all and it never will be because the windows are tighter and you have to go through your reads quicker and you cant float the ball or its going to get picked off. This actually plays into why Dallas has better chance of scoring outside the redzone.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm older than you and see you coming up with new and exciting ways to say you don't care for Dak. Stale approach used by folks many, many, times in the past.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm an older guy.

All I see is people trying their hardest to come up with a reason to start another Dak thread.

Yeah so am I, and you're right, he wasn't "wondering" anything except how to start yet another "I hate Dak" thread. The same old stuff, same old lines, day after day after day. Yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:

leeblair

Reaction score
I hear what your saying but its not his leadership that bothers me. I see a guy who has a lot of good qualities and works hard. His problem biggest issue is his weak arm and accuracy which is absolutely the worst thing to lack when being an NFL QB. He has made the most out of his talent but he has hit his ceiling. His swivel hip thing is something he should of learned in the 8th grade. Dak needs a clean pocket with time to take a step and swivel his hips for a full wind up to deliver the ball with normal velocity that other QBs can do with one short step. His accuracy was hidden in 2016 but man has exposed since. His redzone passing is not good at all and it never will be because the windows are tighter and you have to go through your reads quicker and you cant float the ball or its going to get picked off. This actually plays into why Dallas has better chance of scoring outside the redzone.
Let me clarify:
When I speak of leadership, I am talking about the player's ability to make those around him better. I don't see that from Dak. He plays well when the team is overpowering another team. But I have yet to see the Cowboys struggling and Dak be the reason they came back and won. He chokes when he's under pressure.
That's what I mean by leadership.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I am almost 44 and see Dak as a good leader on and off the field. I also put him in the top 10 QBs in the NFL right now— he is not elite— but he is a good player that has some flaws.

To me, the issue is not whether or not Dak deserves a new contract— it is value and how much he is demanding. I am fine with numbers in and around the Wentz/Goff range. Dak’s numbers put him in that conversation and I believe Dak should get his earned market value.

Putting him in the Russell Wilson range is where I start to scoff. Some will argue that it is only the difference of a few million per year— just give him what he wants.

Not that simple I am afraid. You have to start a trend somewhere of not paying players beyond what they have earned. Certainly, Dak’s agent is going to point at future deals of Mahommes and Jackson in order to shape what Dak’s deal gets— but IMO, Dak is not in the Wilson range until he wins a SB or brings home an MVP.

Until one of the other big dawgs breaks the market with a new deal, or Dak raises his production, it would be a mistake to give him Russell Wilson money. Which is why Dak very well may play under the tag this year— and with the weapons and coaching we have— put up monster numbers again and win the bet on himself again and drive up his price more.

That may actually be what is best for Dak and Dallas. Dak gets more overall, and Dallas feels better about the investment after Dak produces at a high level in the playoffs.

leeblair

Reaction score
I am almost 44 and see Dak as a good leader on and off the field. I also put him in the top 10 QBs in the NFL right now— he is not elite— but he is a good player that has some flaws.

To me, the issue is not whether or not Dak deserves a new contract— it is value and how much he is demanding. I am fine with numbers in and around the Wentz/Goff range. Dak’s numbers put him in that conversation and I believe Dak should get his earned market value.

Putting him in the Russell Wilson range is where I start to scoff. Some will argue that it is only the difference of a few million per year— just give him what he wants.

Not that simple I am afraid. You have to start a trend somewhere of not paying players beyond what they have earned. Certainly, Dak’s agent is going to point at future deals of Mahommes and Jackson in order to shape what Dak’s deal gets— but IMO, Dak is not in the Wilson range until he wins a SB or brings home an MVP.

Until one of the other big dawgs breaks the market with a new deal, or Dak raises his production, it would be a mistake to give him Russell Wilson money. Which is why Dak very well may play under the tag this year— and with the weapons and coaching we have— put up monster numbers again and win the bet on himself again and drive up his price more.

That may actually be what is best for Dak and Dallas. Dak gets more overall, and Dallas feels better about the investment after Dak produces at a high level in the playoffs.
I can agree with this premise.
I just don't want to see the Cowboys gut the salary cap and be wrong about him.
It's not that I hate Dak; I think he's a great player. But it takes more than stats to win a Super Bowl.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I'm 49 and can clearly see how good, talented and valuable Dak is. Dak definitely has among the best leadership skills, definitely makes the team better and most certainly has the "it" factor. I'm not the only one who sees and believes this.

So does Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, Mike McCarthy, Will McClay, all of the Cowboys coaches, staff and players, other highly successful/knowledgeable and experienced coaches like Bill Belichick, Sean Payton, Sean McVay, Jason Garrett, Mike Martz, Rob Ryan, Jimmy Johnson, lifelong one of the best scouts ever Gil Brandt, etc and even other ex-players like Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, Deion Sanders, Kurt Warner, LaDainian Tomlinson, etc and many more.

Everyone sees how Dak has gotten so much better every year. In my respectful opinion, maybe you simply don't want to see what the greatest minds in NFL football see?
49 here also and i approve the above message 100% I really like Dak also and am excited to see what the future holds

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm 53- almost 54 years old. I have been a fan of the Cowboys since the early 70's- when I was old enough to know about them.
I've seen the likes of Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Pat Haden, Danny White, Joe Montana, Brian Sipe, Dan Pastorini, Craig Morton, John Elway, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, and others like Brett Favre on their best and worst days.
But I don't see in him the instincts of any of the quarterbacks I just mentioned in regards to leadership skills and making a team better.
One thing Dak does better is that he doesn't throw many interceptions, but I am not sure if that comes from the fact that he strictly follows the route tree or is just more aware.
Just curious.

Actually I'm older than you. I disagree I think he has the ability to lead this team to a championship. I think there are a lot of things that go into winning a championship and while QB is a big part of it so are many other things that all need to fall in place within a season to reach the SB. I think Dak has continued to develop from where he was in 2016 through 2019 and his number back that up and fully expect him to continue to improve facets of his game

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just curious.
I'll be 54 next month and have watched every game since 1974. Used to go to training camps when I was a young coach and even got to meet with the staff a few times and talk football. I actually talked to Garrett about QB play once. I don't particularly like Garrett but I have to say he's pretty sharp and knows his stuff, don't tell anyone I said that. I like Dak and I think he is a great QB and leader. My opinion.

pitt33

Reaction score
Dak as leader never was a concern to me.

My issues/worries with him are simply mechanics at times or missing throws that he physically can make but doesnt. Not leading receivers or over/under throwing passes that could be game changers.
Been a fan since ‘71...have watched a lot of football...

Dak comes across having leadership qualities. He really does. Hard to argue that facet of his game. It’s the other part(s) of being a championship quarterback where he is behind the other greats of the game. You addressed them above.

And I’m in complete agreement.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'm slightly younger than you OP. I see Dak has the "it" factor. He's definitely the leader of this team. I'd like to see how he'll handle the WCO

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm 40 and see him as a very good QB, probably 6-10th best in the league, and an ascending/improving player that has all the intangibles in terms of leadership and work ethic to continue to get better.
^^this^^ I'm 50 and been a fan since I could crawl...and I see heart of a lion...LEADERSHIP FOR DAYS. Players love him..his team loves him. That's much of the battle won already in my opinion. Couple that with the new staff and MM...the sky is the limit. We need to get that guy signed long term. HE'S A WINNER AND SEEKS OUT BIG MOMENTS IN GAMES TO SHINE. Give me a guy like that at the helm all day long, even on Sunday...especially ON SUNDAY LOL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm slightly younger than you OP. I see Dak has the "it" factor. He's definitely the leader of this team. I'd like to see how he'll handle the WCO
NO DOUBT. He has intangibles and his supposed lack of accuracy is vastly over reported. Kinda funny really. I get a chuckle about it. Dak is a top 10 QB in this league. MAYBE TOP 5 under good coaching like we now have.

superonyx

Reaction score
I hardly ever post in any Dak threads because I'm exhausted reading the same things said over and over again and refuse to get into this thing where you either love Dak or hate him If you support either side of a debate. I will say, despite certain issues he may have, Dak as leader never was a concern to me.

I think you've seen guys genuinely support him and believe in his ability to get the job done. As for having the "it" factor so to speak, you cant measure that but I would say if it was simply a yes or no in terms of that, then yes he was what it takes in terms of leadership.

My issues/worries with him are simply mechanics at times or missing throws that he physically can make but doesnt. Not leading receivers or over/under throwing passes that could be game changers. He is also the guy who, with his run in a Seattle playoff game, showed you that he isnt afraid to put himself out there to try and do whatever it takes to win. I don't think hes got the strongest arm or is ever going to dissect the field the way Peyton Manning could but that doesnt mean he doesnt have what it takes to win. I'd say age has nothing to do with your feeling but then again I'm younger then you and could be way off.
I find it hard to criticize a guy for his throwing mechanics right after he threw for 4900 yards, 65% completion percentage and a qb rating of 99.7.
He also has 21 rushing TD's in 4 years.

I think people question Dak due to him not looking smooth in his release. I get it. We have been watching his style for 4 years now. He is a guy that performs better than he looks performing. At some point you just have to accept it. He may never be Mahommes or even Rodgers with his arm. However I don't believe thats the only part of this team sport that matters. QB's with great arms fail every year (take Weeden). Of all positions the QB is the guy who will mentally succeed or fail.

I rarely chime in on a Dak thread. These things are toxic. Same people saying the same thing over and over. No objectivity left. Just a bunch of people repeating themselves.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I find it hard to criticize a guy for his throwing mechanics right after he threw for 4900 yards, 65% completion percentage and a qb rating of 99.7.
He also has 21 rushing TD's in 4 years.

I think people question Dak due to him not looking smooth in his release. I get it. We have been watching his style for 4 years now. He is a guy that performs better than he looks performing. At some point you just have to accept it. He may never be Mahommes or even Rodgers with his arm. However I don't believe thats the only part of this team sport that matters. QB's with great arms fail every year (take Weeden). Of all positions the QB is the guy who will mentally succeed or fail.

I rarely chime in on a Dak thread. These things are toxic. Same people saying the same thing over and over. No objectivity left. Just a bunch of people repeating themselves.
and his supposed lack of accuracy is nonsense. YEAH...he sometimes throws balls he shouldn't and misses guys he shouldn't. ALL QB'S DO. He doesn't do that very often and the stats bare that out, like you eluded to. 4900 yards is pretty damn awesome in my OP. Sure doesn't look like a guy that needs any ridicule or lessons on his mechanics etc.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He was fine during that Philly game too. If he was so bad, that he couldn't throw the ball... then maybe he should have said so. Rush would not have been any worse, and may have been a better choice, if he was in such bad shape.

I dunno... saw Romo win a game with a broken rib, and punctured lung... just sayin lol.
How many games did Romo win when the team quit on Wade Phillips........ just saying

Could Dak have played better in some games last season......yes but the entire team quit on Garrett. Anybody using last year as a way to discredit Dak is foolish. Saying he can't beat winning teams, that's a lie because he has done it and still has never had a losing season in 4 full seasons of play.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I find it impossible to judge the guy considering defenses knew what was coming...at least a good portion of the time.

If I take issue with him, he doesnt seem to use his legs as much as he used to or should to convert 3rd downs.

He is also a bit timid as far as stepping into the pocket and delivering the ball.

None of this adds up to someone we cant win with, and replacing him may take quite the effort. I'm not sure getting our hands on a better option is even possible.