I was wrong about Dorrance Armstrong

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Anyway, we may have ourselves a 4th round steal on our hands.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Me too. I thought the pick was stupid. Nice to see me be wrong and them be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stiletto

Reaction score
I love Bob Lilly but I don't care about jersey #'s. If there is something about the number that makes him feel Elite...I say let him feel Elite...... There have been other great players whose numbers have been preceded, not many but unless you make the number retirement thing official...LET IT GO....That's an organizational stance not a fan stance IMO. I personally feel no man should wear another man's name on his jersey anyway. If there are multiple great 88's or 22's or 12's..then so be it. I'd be willing to buy a jersey with the number but count me as a person that is not on board with wearing another man's name on his back.....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Bob Lilly but I don't care about jersey #'s. If there is something about the number that makes him feel Elite...I say let him feel Elite...... There have been other great players whose numbers have been preceded, not many but unless you make number retirement thing official...LET IT GO....That's an organizational stance not a fan stance IMO. I personally feel no man should wear another mans name on his jersey anyway. If there are multiple great 88's or 22's or 12's..then so be it. I'd be willing to buy a jersey with the number but count me as a person that is not on board with wearing another man's name on his back.....
I disagree witcha, but well said brother.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, cool...what do you disagree with? Just curious, no worries.
I think there are certain “founding father” type players whose jersey should be honored. Bob Lily was this team’s first draft pick and first HOF player. I agree that you can’t retire too many jerseys but #74 might be one worth keeping aside. No big deal in the grand scheme to me. It’s not something I will lose any sleep over either way, lol.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
200w.webp

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Haley>Deion....:rolleyes:

Game Wrecker vs Game changer. Deion made you adjust away from him....But Haley just destroyed everything....even when he wasn't directly involved...he drew so much attention...he made it easier for other people. I don't think Lett becomes Leon w/o Haley.

Deion was over hyped...and could be worked around. Just avoid his side of the field.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haley>Deion....:rolleyes:

Game Wrecker vs Game changer. Deion made you adjust away from him....But Haley just destroyed everything....even when he wasn't directly involved...he drew so much attention...he made it easier for other people. I don't think Lett becomes Leon w/o Haley.

Deion was over hyped...and could be worked around. Just avoid his side of the field.
Bob Lily was often triple teamed. Like Lawrence Taylor in his day, teams had to literally game plan how they were going to handle Bob Lily.

DandyTom64

Reaction score
What's in a number anyway? It's having your name called that separates you from the rest. He can have my number. I'm number one.

exciter

Reaction score
6'3" and 250s which is fairly typical of college des, why would he be too small. 1 or more of 92, 93, and 99 will be open after cuts for him to change to!

bsbellomy

Reaction score

No you weren't wrong. The fact is you have no idea if you were right or wrong yet.