I was wrong about Dorrance Armstrong

ItzKelz

Reaction score
My 2 favorite picks in the draft was Shultz and Armstrong. With that said most Cowboys fans did not have any expectations for Armstrong; so, don't feel like you missed the obvious. The truth is our Scouting department and coaches did significant homework on Armstrong on the "Why?" did his productions drop so significantly from one season to the next. We've been among the best in the NFL in drafting since JG and McClay took on their current roles.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Anyway, we may have ourselves a 4th round steal on our hands.

He was told if he makes the team, he will be assigned a new number. That this was for TC only.

And I was wrong as well. I did not like the pick. Not that it was Armstrong, I did not like the DE pick. They could have went DT or S.
However if he continues to play the way he is now, I will gladly eat crow. My feeling was we did not need a DE, and this team has a love affair fro drafting DE's in the mid rounds that do not work out.

They may have got this one right though.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I love Bob Lilly but I don't care about jersey #'s. If there is something about the number that makes him feel Elite...I say let him feel Elite...... There have been other great players whose numbers have been preceded, not many but unless you make the number retirement thing official...LET IT GO....That's an organizational stance not a fan stance IMO. I personally feel no man should wear another man's name on his jersey anyway. If there are multiple great 88's or 22's or 12's..then so be it. I'd be willing to buy a jersey with the number but count me as a person that is not on board with wearing another man's name on his back.....
I have a Staubach jersey that has his name on it. Does that count? :)

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This is funny. The guy who wouldn’t tackle is the greatest defensive player in league history? No surprise you also believe Dak sucks.
Why are you hating on Sanders now? The guy helped us win a SB for crying out loud.

JustChip

Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
Deion was good, damn good, but greatest ever? Obviously you've bought his self-promotion schtick. There's more than just on the field performance. There are oodles and oodles of players that were equal in their position to Deion. But he was never the heart and soul of any defense. Bob Lilly was (I would argue Leroy Jordan as well) for the Cowboys. Dick Butkus for the Bears is another. Reggie White another.

kskboys

Reaction score
Haley>Deion....:rolleyes:

Game Wrecker vs Game changer. Deion made you adjust away from him....But Haley just destroyed everything....even when he wasn't directly involved...he drew so much attention...he made it easier for other people. I don't think Lett becomes Leon w/o Haley.

Deion was over hyped...and could be worked around. Just avoid his side of the field.
And don't forget, we went right at him in the 94 champ game. Irvin caught 12 passes against him.

Aven8

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

I have to disagree Bob. I love seeing #74 out there again. It's been too long!

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm waiting to see Armstrong do it in a real game to be excited. I remember a back named Tanner that set the preseason on fire, yet fizzled out when it counted. I'm not saying Armstrong is in the same mold. The talent is there. He still has to put it all together when the games count.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

His number will be switched during the regular season. Dallas has certain numbers that no other player can wear, and 74 is one, but because the rosters are so large during the preseason, they allow them to be used through camp.

kskboys

Reaction score
Deion was good, damn good, but greatest ever? Obviously you've bought his self-promotion schtick. There's more than just on the field performance. There are oodles and oodles of players that were equal in their position to Deion. But he was never the heart and soul of any defense. Bob Lilly was (I would argue Leroy Jordan as well) for the Cowboys. Dick Butkus for the Bears is another. Reggie White another.
Deion doesn't make my top 50 all time list for greatest D players.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do know that at the time, I wanted Tim Settle, Kyzir White or maybe a riskier pick like Mo Hurst.
But didn't know enough about Armstrong on draft day, so I took the “trust in Will Clay” approach.:D

CooterBrown

Reaction score
As far as Armstrong carrying a "burden" to live up to number 74 goes, when they asked him about it he didn't even know who Bob Lilly was. But, as an old fart, I'm glad number 74 is sacred during regular season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm waiting to see Armstrong do it in a real game to be excited. I remember a back named Tanner that set the preseason on fire, yet fizzled out when it counted. I'm not saying Armstrong is in the same mold. The talent is there. He still has to put it all together when the games count.
Good point. All training camp “stars” must be taken with a grain of salt. The proof of excellence for a player is when the real bullets are flying in games that count. We’ll see.