I was wrong about Dorrance Armstrong

diefree666

Reaction score
Good point. All training camp “stars” must be taken with a grain of salt. The proof of excellence for a player is when the real bullets are flying in games that count. We’ll see.
yeah, how many training camp HOF's have we had over the years?

cern

Reaction score
Me too. I thought the pick was stupid. Nice to see me be wrong and them be right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

I keep telling you, mcclay/Stephen know what they're doing.:):):) on another note, I thought they blew it with Jaylon. nice to be wrong on occasion.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion was good, damn good, but greatest ever? Obviously you've bought his self-promotion schtick. There's more than just on the field performance. There are oodles and oodles of players that were equal in their position to Deion. But he was never the heart and soul of any defense. Bob Lilly was (I would argue Leroy Jordan as well) for the Cowboys. Dick Butkus for the Bears is another. Reggie White another.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah, how many training camp HOF's have we had over the years?
Too many. The graveyard of names for TC HOFers is long...guys who were “having a great camp” and never did anything. Names like QB Glenn Carano, RB Beau Morgan, WR Dennis Homan...and many others.

cern

Reaction score
love him or hate him, the reverend deion was the greatest cover corner to ever play the game. tall, long arms, and phenomenal speed. and his putting the patented doo-rag on his bust at the hof ceremonies was iconic.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Anyway, we may have ourselves a 4th round steal on our hands.

Not only was he small, but his 40 time was very unimpressive for an edge rusher. 4.87 at the combine. Much bigger and stronger guys can do that. But so far everything I've heard sounds like he is looking very good rushing the QB in camp, so hopefully there is more to him than size and speed stats suggest.

I'm confident he won't wear 74 during the season. Nobody has worn it since Lilly retired, and I can't imagine them breaking that string for Dorrance Armstrong.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

i heard a few people say this. It’s weird though because a lot of them like Gregory who was about 20 lbs lighter

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

At start of season he will change his number to 99.

kskboys

Reaction score
To be seen. They drafted a 2nd rounder who basically couldn't play for 2 years. Are we going to be able to resign? What if the guy we could've taken puts us in the super bowl?

kskboys

Reaction score
love him or hate him, the reverend deion was the greatest cover corner to ever play the game. tall, long arms, and phenomenal speed. and his putting the patented doo-rag on his bust at the hof ceremonies was iconic.
Mel Renfro was better.

renny

Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
DeMarcus Ware?

jay94

Reaction score
I do like what I am hearing about this guy. I will say it is just camp by all accords Byron Jones should have been an all pro coming out of it the last few years and this one as well. I wonder if it has something to do with our vanilla scheme so he knows where the ball is going before it gets there, if that is the case doesn't really compare the two. I will say our own media does seem to overhype are team for the most part.

JustChip

Reaction score
Too many. The graveyard of names for TC HOFers is long...guys who were “having a great camp” and never did anything. Names like QB Glenn Carano, RB Beau Morgan, WR Dennis Homan...and many others.
Very true, but it's like a golf tournament - you don't win the tournament on Thursday, but can absolutely lose it. An outstanding rookie camp doesn't guarantee the real deal, but a horrible rookie camp is pretty indicative you're not.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Well, he can't wear 71-Tui, 72-Too Tall 75 that was Jethro Pugh. He can't wear 76 that was Larry Bethea. He can't wear 77 that was Jim Jeffcoat. 78-John Dutton & Lett, 79-Harvey Martin. Wait!! 73 maybe? ;)

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
Worthless against the run, avoided tackling like the plague, made too many "business decisions" when things got rough.

Love Dieon, excellent versatility on offense and special teams as well, I would be close to agreeing that he belongs in the discussion for best pro football player of his generation but best defender? I disagree. I'm thinking Reggie White, Ray Lewis, or Lawrence Taylor.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Haley>Deion....:rolleyes:

Game Wrecker vs Game changer. Deion made you adjust away from him....But Haley just destroyed everything....even when he wasn't directly involved...he drew so much attention...he made it easier for other people. I don't think Lett becomes Leon w/o Haley.

Deion was over hyped...and could be worked around. Just avoid his side of the field.
Posts like this remind me I am old and the message board generally isn't.
Deion was special in Dallas for brief periods but was injured a lot and was not our best DB historically much less overall player.
We had guys who were great for a decade not 40 games spread over 4 seasons.

Haley was much like Deion. Very impactful in short bursts but overall very overhyped.
Haley only made the Pro Bowl 2 of his 5 Cowboys seasons.

Put another way pro football reference offers a score called approximate value for each player for every season.
Haley never led the Cowboys in AV for a season.
Deion did lead them 4 times but did so during that sad post 1995 stretch of downward spiral. 1996-1999.

Demarcus Ware was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Randy White was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Bob Lilly was before my time but almost certainly a better Cowboy defender than both.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As to Armstrong 1 pre-season game or not it's clear he has abilities people didn't foresee.
His bend and skill are far higher than projected.

This often happens where the least ballyhooed draft selection works out best and the most applauded bombs.

I was pretty sure he was gonna be a practice squad candidate, lol at me....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous.
true not ridiculous Neon Deon was a hired gun Played for whoever paid him most, see Lebron.. He played for ALL our main most hated competition ie Washington, San Fran, and well ATL not really rival but still dude was not loyal and he was important but he wasn't mr Cowboy or even top 10..whos jersey did he put in Canton..i dont remember but no way his 21 gets retired..