I was wrong about Dorrance Armstrong

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game.

Taco is going to have a hard time staying on the field in nickel. Too many better pure pass rush options.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

Anyway, we may have ourselves a 4th round steal on our hands.
Yeah. You were wrong. Lol. I think we are both glad you were. And I agree with him having Lilys number. Like Gregory having Wares number.

When they say someone is to small I think of Emmitt. They said he are as too small.

Setting us for disappointment.

But please someone change Conner Williams number. Looks like LB playing OG.

Tommy

Reaction score
On a side note, the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star is Deion Sanders and it really isn't close. He's a candidate for greatest defensive player in league history.
Oh man! I remember when we use to dare teams to run a sweep to Deion’s side of the field. Guy was a beast against the run.

\sarcasm

ESisback

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong. When he was drafted, I thought he was too small and and a long shot to have a long term NFL career. After early returns so far this year, gladly I think I was wrong.

As a big fan of the Big 12, I saw Armstrong play three games while playing for Kansas. Two against Texas Tech and one against Texas. He was always very athletic, but he seemed too small to handle NFL linemen to me. He did have a very dominant game against Texas in 2016 in the game that got Charlie Strong fired at UT. I don’t remember his stat line, but I remember him being all over the field causing fumbles and pressuring the QB.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see him show off his athleticism and upside. Armstrong is apparently pressuring Taco to up his game. It’s still way too early (and a little silly) to declare this kid a star until he actually does something in games that count. But he’s certainly exceeded my expectations and proven my lack of skill as an NFL scout. If he continues to develop, our DL is certainly upgraded beyond my expectations going into this season.

One other small request I have for the team regarding Armstrong. Please don’t saddle this kid with the burden of wearing #74. Bob Lily is arguably the greatest defensive player to ever wear the star, so let’s not put that number on a 4th round player in his first season. It’s not the end of the world either way, but as a long time Cowboys fan that doesn’t seem cool to me.

They should have retired 74!

kskboys

Reaction score
Posts like this remind me I am old and the message board generally isn't.
Deion was special in Dallas for brief periods but was injured a lot and was not our best DB historically much less overall player.
We had guys who were great for a decade not 40 games spread over 4 seasons.

Haley was much like Deion. Very impactful in short bursts but overall very overhyped.
Haley only made the Pro Bowl 2 of his 5 Cowboys seasons.

Put another way pro football reference offers a score called approximate value for each player for every season.
Haley never led the Cowboys in AV for a season.
Deion did lead them 4 times but did so during that sad post 1995 stretch of downward spiral. 1996-1999.

Demarcus Ware was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Randy White was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Bob Lilly was before my time but almost certainly a better Cowboy defender than both.

Dallas Cowboys D players that I take over Deion:

Mel Renfro
Bob Lilly
Randy White
Chuck Howley
DWare
Darren Woodson
TooTall
Haley
Cliff Harris
Jim Jeffcoat

That's off the top of my head, in no particular order.

ESisback

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys D players that I take over Deion:

Mel Renfro
Bob Lilly
Randy White
Chuck Howley
DWare
Darren Woodson
TooTall
Haley
Cliff Harris
Jim Jeffcoat

That's off the top of my head, in no particular order.
Add...
Harvey Martin
Erik Williams
Sean Lee
Charlie Waters
Bill Bates

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
true not ridiculous Neon Deon was a hired gun Played for whoever paid him most, see Lebron.. He played for ALL our main most hated competition ie Washington, San Fran, and well ATL not really rival but still dude was not loyal and he was important but he wasn't mr Cowboy or even top 10..whos jersey did he put in Canton..i dont remember but no way his 21 gets retired..

Thanks for all that irrelevant information.

There's one more thing he was and that's the best defensive player to ever play for the Cowboys.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Don't be so hard on yourself. No single scout has been correct 100 percent of the time. We all hit and miss on players. I was big on Adrian Hamilton, he did get a ring with the Ravens but never really did much.

ESisback

Reaction score
Thanks for all that irrelevant information.

There's one more thing he was and that's the best defensive player to ever play for the Cowboys.
I’ll take 20 different guys on my defense before that giant awesome person!

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

Serioisly. How do you not take one of Harvey Martin (who would have the single season sack record if it was an official stat at the time), White or Lilly, given your view of the importance of line play? How’s Deion even in the running for you, given the position he plays?

kskboys

Reaction score
Serioisly. How do you not take one of Harvey Martin (who would have the single season sack record if it was an official stat at the time), White or Lilly, given your view of the importance of line play? How’s Deion even in the running for you, given the position he plays?
He's seriously not even in the running.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
He's seriously not even in the running.

No, he definitely is. He’s the best CB of all time (I’ll hear arguments for Rod Woodson). He’s just not a candidate that’s available to Risen, given his views on CBs.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Posts like this remind me I am old and the message board generally isn't.
Deion was special in Dallas for brief periods but was injured a lot and was not our best DB historically much less overall player.
We had guys who were great for a decade not 40 games spread over 4 seasons.

Haley was much like Deion. Very impactful in short bursts but overall very overhyped.
Haley only made the Pro Bowl 2 of his 5 Cowboys seasons.

Put another way pro football reference offers a score called approximate value for each player for every season.
Haley never led the Cowboys in AV for a season.
Deion did lead them 4 times but did so during that sad post 1995 stretch of downward spiral. 1996-1999.

Demarcus Ware was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Randy White was a better Cowboy defender than both.
Bob Lilly was before my time but almost certainly a better Cowboy defender than both.

I agree with much of your post, but Haley was not overhyped. He was a very disruptive player who elevated the play of the D line.

Randy White would be the greatest defensive player in the history of all but a handful of teams.

If not for Lilly, he would unquestionably be the greatest defensive player in Cowboys history.

Lilly was the greatest DT of all time and the greatest defensive player Dallas has ever had. I doubt I'll live long enough to see that change.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he definitely is. He’s the best CB of all time (I’ll hear arguments for Rod Woodson). He’s just not a candidate that’s available to Risen, given his views on CBs.

Nonsense. I've stated many times that Deion was the one cornerback I've seen who could impact games and make his teammates better. He's easily the best to ever play that position. I don't believe the Cowboys have many defensive players who can lay claim to be the best to play theirs.

Reggie White, Deion Sanders, Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis. In no particular order. The best defensive players I've ever seen.