I'd still like to see them bring in a vet TB

Sydla

Reaction score
If the reports are true, Pollard should be fine. But after that, I can't really trust Malik Davis and a late round rookie. Ronald Jones? Ehhhhh.

They probably won't do anything but I still think another vet would make sense. I wonder if they are sitting there waiting to see how long a guy like Fournette or Hunt sits out there and then if in July/August sweep in with a one year deal.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to the idea, however I remain pretty skeptical that Fournette or Hunt give you much more than Zeke did a year ago.

My gut tells me they wait until a week or two into camp to evaluate what they have before seriously considering another signing. I also wonder if a Cowboys signing at RB is viewed as pretty lackluster by fans. I could pretty easily see them looking at cuts from other teams before going the known name vet free-agent RB route.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If the reports are true, Pollard should be fine. But after that, I can't really trust Malik Davis and a late round rookie. Ronald Jones? Ehhhhh.

They probably won't do anything but I still think another vet would make sense. I wonder if they are sitting there waiting to see how long a guy like Fournette or Hunt sits out there and then if in July/August sweep in with a one year deal.
I mean you already have players the caliber of Fournette and Hunt already here in Ronald Jones.

Hunt and Fournette are just not very good. Just names at this point.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

So you don't trust young fresh legs but you trust two old, washed up guys whose stats were putrid last year?

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to the idea, however I remain pretty skeptical that Fournette or Hunt give you much more than Zeke did a year ago.

My gut tells me they wait until a week or two into camp to evaluate what they have before seriously considering another signing. I also wonder if a Cowboys signing at RB is viewed as pretty lackluster by fans. I could pretty easily see them looking at cuts from other teams before going the known name vet free-agent RB route.
No, probably not. But the issue with Zeke was the contract and playing him on a higher percentage of snaps than we should have. If you extrapolate his numbers last year out over 17 games it's 992 yards and 14 TDs. If you can get that for the vet minimum you can't complain. That's also with over 15 carries per game. He or Ronald Jones (or whomever we may sign) should only be getting half that. Zeke for near the vet minimum or one of the other two would be a nice addition to the team if things don't go the way we hope with our current group. Any of them would be capable of handling a couple of series per game and all have been used in the red zone/short yardage as well. I think the move is to wait it out and see what we have in camp and then make a move later on if need be. None of those 3 guys is likely to be much better than what will be available after cut downs. There are always RBs available. I'm not worried and would rather not make a move quite yet. Let's at least see Deuce and the rest of the group in full pads before deciding we need to add to the group unless it's a contract we can get out of with little to no dead money.

Jarntt

Reaction score
So you don't trust young fresh legs but you trust two old, washed up guys whose stats were putrid last year?
I think you are twisting the narrative a little here. Those young fresh legs need to show they can do the job and THEN they are indeed the best option IMO. Right now we have a guy who played at an All Pro level last year who is coming off a major injury and a bunch of questions marks and all of this on a team that has openly professed to want to "run the ball". Everyone wants those question marks to work out of course, but shame on any NFL team who just assumes a 6th round rookie is going to definitely be good enough to bet your season on it. That doesn't mean the only two options are Fournette and Hunt, but they are potential options to throw into the mix and most players who are available had a poor year the year before or they wouldn't be available. I just struggle with the annual idea that all of our draft picks are going to be great. We have in one thread someone listing our 6th round rookie CB as a possible starter. We have Deuce and Overshown and Schoonmaker all as impact players for us all over this board. Last year it was Tolbert. Sometimes it takes time with rookies and that is fine. But you can't build a roster assuming these late picks are going to produce year 1.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

If Zeke can get his ego in check and be ok with 5-7 carries a game, I would bring him back. I just don’t see him or the players being ok with that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB is the biggest concern for me as to the roster right now. Even over the OL.

I am not 100% sold on Pollard being a lead RB. As we don't know the real intentions for RB in MM's 30% different playbook and play calling.

I have no idea about Jones, need to see how he looks.
I am not sold on Davis either getting a bigger load, but it would be interesting to see. As I did like what little we seen from him.

Techsass

Reaction score
I think TP will be fine. My biggest concern is with RB2. That's mainly because I don't know much about Jones or Davis. Davis looked good against GB, but didn't get any carries against SF.
RB is the biggest concern for me as to the roster right now. Even over the OL.

I am not 100% sold on Pollard being a lead RB. As we don't know the real intentions for RB in MM's 30% different playbook and play calling.

I have no idea about Jones, need to see how he looks.
I am not sold on Davis either getting a bigger load, but it would be interesting to see. As I did like what little we seen from him.

Last edited:

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I think you are twisting the narrative a little here. Those young fresh legs need to show they can do the job and THEN they are indeed the best option IMO. Right now we have a guy who played at an All Pro level last year who is coming off a major injury and a bunch of questions marks and all of this on a team that has openly professed to want to "run the ball". Everyone wants those question marks to work out of course, but shame on any NFL team who just assumes a 6th round rookie is going to definitely be good enough to bet your season on it. That doesn't mean the only two options are Fournette and Hunt, but they are potential options to throw into the mix and most players who are available had a poor year the year before or they wouldn't be available. I just struggle with the annual idea that all of our draft picks are going to be great. We have in one thread someone listing our 6th round rookie CB as a possible starter. We have Deuce and Overshown and Schoonmaker all as impact players for us all over this board. Last year it was Tolbert. Sometimes it takes time with rookies and that is fine. But you can't build a roster assuming these late picks are going to produce year 1.
I understand your reasoning. But I just don't think we can spare a roster spot for an old player with questionable legs. In the 80s/90s we could have done things like this in the pre salary cap era but thanks in large part to leather face that error is long gone.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No, probably not. But the issue with Zeke was the contract and playing him on a higher percentage of snaps than we should have. If you extrapolate his numbers last year out over 17 games it's 992 yards and 14 TDs. If you can get that for the vet minimum you can't complain. That's also with over 15 carries per game. He or Ronald Jones (or whomever we may sign) should only be getting half that. Zeke for near the vet minimum or one of the other two would be a nice addition to the team if things don't go the way we hope with our current group. Any of them would be capable of handling a couple of series per game and all have been used in the red zone/short yardage as well. I think the move is to wait it out and see what we have in camp and then make a move later on if need be. None of those 3 guys is likely to be much better than what will be available after cut downs. There are always RBs available. I'm not worried and would rather not make a move quite yet. Let's at least see Deuce and the rest of the group in full pads before deciding we need to add to the group unless it's a contract we can get out of with little to no dead money.
No argument there. The issue with Zeke really isn't that he cant be effective, but he's limited. He's still a plus short yardage back and an above-average pass protector. For vet min or close to the value is absolutely there, and I wont be upset at all if they go that route. The question becomes is that worth a roster spot and is that what the team wants from the RB2?

Sydla

Reaction score
No, I don't immediately assume that young guys will always be good players. I also don't assume just because they are a Cowboy that means they can play.

I think if Pollard struggles during live action, they need a good vet to provide some cover. I don't think Ronald Jones is that guy. I'd prefer not to have to rely on a couple of late round picks to sustain your run game if Pollard pulls a Gallup and needs time to get his legs back in game action.