If 5 QB's go, we will have a great prospect fall

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Let's assume 5 QB's go ahead of us, which is very possible. That leaves 5 non QB positions left in the top 10:

Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Parsons, Horn

At least 1 will be there. If one of the Bama receivers get selected, 2 will be there from this group.

Agreed, but it scares me that so many of the "experts" have the first few teams in the draft ALL going quarterback. :omg:

How often have the "experts" nailed the first 5 or 6 picks exactly right? Lamb fell to 17, I bet if we checked almost none of the "experts" predicted that. This of course is one time I hope they're right...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
And if one falls to us we will be in a great position to potentially trade down. Good spot to be in despite those ridiculous “wins” down the stretch

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Let's assume 5 QB's go ahead of us, which is very possible. That leaves 5 non QB positions left in the top 10:

At least 1 will be there. If one of the Bama receivers get selected, 2 will be there from this group.

The best case scenario is a QB sitting there at 10. BINGO

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agreed, but it scares me that so many of the "experts" have the first few teams in the draft ALL going quarterback. :omg:

How often have the "experts" nailed the first 5 or 6 picks exactly right? Lamb fell to 17, I bet if we checked almost none of the "experts" predicted that. This of course is one time I hope they're right...
We should be cheering QB's and WR's taken ahead of us, that will push these prospects down to 10. I cannot see 4 QB's not going, could see 1 sliding to 10, probably Mac Jones.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think at least 4 QB's go before 10. Maybe 5. I think some of the WR fall though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goal is for Pitts, Sewell, or Surtain to be there. All 3 go. I move down

I’d be looking to move down a few spots too. That’s ‘worst case’ for me.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The best case scenario is a QB sitting there at 10. BINGO

How so? If that happens, there are several teams just below Dallas - Washington, Minnesota, etc. that are in need of a quarterback - but their second rounders are not better than Dallas' 44. No benefit to Dallas to drop a few spots...

JBS

Reaction score
I’d be looking to move down a few spots too. That’s ‘worst case’ for me.

If those 3 are gone and you can't move down, who are you taking? Everybody on the list from the OP is available

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If those 3 are gone and you can't move down, who are you taking? Everybody on the list from the OP is available

Horn. But I’m not thrilled about being stuck.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
If 5 go I think that means they get Surtain. I think a better question is what if the 5th QB falls to Dallas.

You’ve got Horn, Slater or a trade down but what about drafting the 5th QB? I’m normally not a fan of having a backup QB at all but he could learn from Dak. I suppose I would rather take advantage of a trade down. This is just one of those years that scares me with no Combine.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The Cowboys will get a top 2 player at a position no matter what happens because at least 4 quarterbacks go are going in round one. My fear is Waddle/Smith might drop to 10, one of the corners is taken in the top 9 and both tackles are taken in the top 9. Then we get screwed with a trade down to 15 because I don’t think Horne/Surtain would last that long if one goes in the top 10.

Dream scenario, one of the quarterbacks drop to 10 and two corners/Slater are still on the board.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 5th QB going in the top 9 is the tricky part. Is a team willing to trade up for him or teams 4-9 willing to trade down? Do teams see Pitts, Sewell and Chase and maybe Waddle as can't pass up players? I could see all 5 QB's and those 4 gone or Surtain gone and Lance still on the board and then comes the decision if there's a team wanting him at 10.

Since when did any 1st round go according to the predicters? This one won't either, there's always some surprise that we didn't see coming.

The thinking that causes the predetermined picks is caused by the belief BPA exists, it doesn't. All of those surprises are based on needs. Lamb lasted until 17 because either they valued other WR's higher or there was a higher need. Most boards had him in the top 16 but they passed him over for another player. A position of need.

The Cowboys need to come away with Surtain or Parsons with that pick, Horn is an acceptable fallback but they must come away with one of those 3 players

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score

To the extent anything can be known, we know QBs go 1-3. The Falcons are a wild card, but given they have a new head coach who is rumored to want to go with Ryan for the time being, my bet is they take Pitts. If they take anyone other than a QB or Pitts, it might signal that the media has overhyped the TE and he falls a bit lower than anticipated.

The Bengals don't like to trade around. They probably take Sewell or Chase.

The Dolphins will take a WR or Pitts unless they get blown away by someone looking to trade up for a QB. I bet the Lions take Sewell or Slater. Carolina might take a QB, but I think Surtain is in play. Denver should take a QB and might trade up for the one they want. I think the Dolphins are hoping the Broncos give them something to move back. Miami could still get a top WR at 9. Or Pitts if he happens to slide.

So I think it looks like this...

Jax - Lawrence
Jets - Wilson
SF - One of 3 QBs. Only they know which. Call it Jones
Falcons - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell or Chase. Common sense says the OT
Dolphins - Chase or Waddel or trade back
Lions - Sewell or Slater
Panthers - Surtain or QB
Broncos - QB or Parsons, maybe.

All that said, I expect at least one more trade in the top 10. Maybe the Patriots move up. Maybe the Bears or Washington. Maybe even a wild card. That possibility will out pressure on Denver to consider swapping with Miami or Detroit.

I think the only way 5 QBs go ahead of Dallas is if the 49ers take Jones. I think some team(s) would look at the potential of Fields and Lance and try to move. The Fields epilepsy revelation is an unknown. I doubt it causes him to fall far unless there is the perception his people weren't forthcoming.

Not out of the question Carolina takes a QB. Ot just feels like they want to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Darnold.

I really don't think the Cowboys want to take an OL at 10. That's just not a feeling I get. I think their wish is to get a CB. It also doesn't feel like they have an interest in Parsons. Maybe that's a smokescreen.

But my hunch is they will take either Surtain or Horn, and they might prefer Horn.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The QB class next year is pretty weak, so my guess is there will be minimum of 4 taken and hopefully 5th makes it to our pick. Trade Trade Trade

DBOY3141

Reaction score
To the extent anything can be known, we know QBs go 1-3. The Falcons are a wild card, but given they have a new head coach who is rumored to want to go with Ryan for the time being, my bet is they take Pitts. If they take anyone other than a QB or Pitts, it might signal that the media has overhyped the TE and he falls a bit lower than anticipated.

The Bengals don't like to trade around. They probably take Sewell or Chase.

The Dolphins will take a WR or Pitts unless they get blown away by someone looking to trade up for a QB. I bet the Lions take Sewell or Slater. Carolina might take a QB, but I think Surtain is in play. Denver should take a QB and might trade up for the one they want. I think the Dolphins are hoping the Broncos give them something to move back. Miami could still get a top WR at 9. Or Pitts if he happens to slide.

So I think it looks like this...

Jax - Lawrence
Jets - Wilson
SF - One of 3 QBs. Only they know which. Call it Jones
Falcons - Pitts
Bengals - Sewell or Chase. Common sense says the OT
Dolphins - Chase or Waddel or trade back
Lions - Sewell or Slater
Panthers - Surtain or QB
Broncos - QB or Parsons, maybe.

All that said, I expect at least one more trade in the top 10. Maybe the Patriots move up. Maybe the Bears or Washington. Maybe even a wild card. That possibility will out pressure on Denver to consider swapping with Miami or Detroit.

I think the only way 5 QBs go ahead of Dallas is if the 49ers take Jones. I think some team(s) would look at the potential of Fields and Lance and try to move. The Fields epilepsy revelation is an unknown. I doubt it causes him to fall far unless there is the perception his people weren't forthcoming.

Not out of the question Carolina takes a QB. Ot just feels like they want to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with Darnold.

I really don't think the Cowboys want to take an OL at 10. That's just not a feeling I get. I think their wish is to get a CB. It also doesn't feel like they have an interest in Parsons. Maybe that's a smokescreen.

But my hunch is they will take either Surtain or Horn, and they might prefer Horn.
Cowboys really don't do smokescreens, so I think they have no interest at all in Parsons.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys will get a top 2 player at a position no matter what happens because at least 4 quarterbacks go are going in round one. My fear is Waddle/Smith might drop to 10, one of the corners is taken in the top 9 and both tackles are taken in the top 9. Then we get screwed with a trade down to 15 because I don’t think Horne/Surtain would last that long if one goes in the top 10.

Dream scenario, one of the quarterbacks drop to 10 and two corners/Slater are still on the board.
Say 4 QB's go ahead of us, which seems very realistic, that leaves 6 spots. Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Chase, Surtain, Parsons. 1 is guaranteed to be there at 10, along with Horn. Our worst case scenario is either only 3 QB's go or all three WR's are there at 10, both are extremely unlikely.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Say 4 QB's go ahead of us, which seems very realistic, that leaves 6 spots. Pitts, Sewell, Slater, Chase, Surtain, Parsons. 1 is guaranteed to be there at 10, along with Horn. Our worst case scenario is either only 3 QB's go or all three WR's are there at 10, both are extremely unlikely.
I am making a bold prediction. 6 quarterbacks go in the top 20. The WFT, Patriots and the Bears have to come away with a quarterback early.