If Cowboys lose tomorrow night Jerry should follow Panthers path

cern

Reaction score
That doesn’t help you. I know everybody wants to think the issue has been coaching, but the issue hasn’t been the coaching. There’s not another coach on the roster who gets you an advantage in the playoff stretch. The sort of dead-cat bounce you get when a coach is tired and guys are playing harder for their jobs next season under the new coach isn’t going to work for a playoff run. You’ll just introduce a bunch of variables at a time in the season when you can’t really afford the distraction.

The situation in Dallas isn’t at all like what is going on in Carolina. Nobody has ever fired a coach of a first place team mid-season that I can think of. Can you?
in fairness, leading the nfce with a 6-6 record is hardly extraordinary. we should have a 3 game advantage over the eagles. the nfce is without question the weakest division in the nfl. we're leading in spite of ourselves.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Touche.

I think it’s pretty obvious: Jason gets to play out the string and then we get a new coach. A Super Bowl appearance saves him, but that won’t happen if we can’t fix the TO differential issue and can’t fix STs. And it looks like we’re standing pat on STs unless we use the coming ten day break to make some moves.

I think you are right ....... I think Jerry is sacrificing the end of the season so he can get a clean slate in the off-season.

I don't think he will be smart enough to make the right choice ........ His ego won't allow it ........ Only thing we can hope for is he stumbles on a good choice.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Panthers actually made a good choice IMO. They fired there headcoach now instead of waiting until the end of the season. So now they can agree, in principle, with another coach before the pickings get slim.

They can have their new coach on board before the end of the calendar year. Giving him time to scout the current players and prepare for the offseason. Not to mention he can start calling around and penciling in a make shift staff.
Yup. If you're going to make a change, the sooner the better.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably not but it should. That’s my argument anyway.

How do you feel about it?
I wouldn't make any changes in season. It sends a bad message for future possible coaches..We've already been down that road once before we shouldn't do it again. Regardless, this team isn't going to win anything. Can Moore or Richard get more out of the players? Perhaps, but it really doesn't matter and even that is debatable.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are right ....... I think Jerry is sacrificing the end of the season so he can get a clean slate in the off-season.

I don't think he will be smart enough to make the right choice ........ His ego won't allow it ........ Only thing we can hope for is he stumbles on a good choice.

Aikman is right about the issues in Dallas. A good coach won’t help if the owner won’t get out of the way.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
By firing their HC now to give life and spark the team.

Tough decision made by Panthers owner over a former SB coach and NFL coach of the year.

But as owner you’re always looking for that spark once you sense the coaches fate after the season.

With all due respect, It doesn't matter when they fire Garrett (if they even fire him as opposed to just finishing up his current contract). It won't give life and spark the team

Hear me out on this...

If they were to fire him before the end of the season, there are only 2 options Jerry has. As mentioned multiple times previously, bring in an outsider to be interim head coach or promote someone within to be interim. That's the obvious... I get that.

But here is where I'm going with this...

If you bring someone in, it's not going to be instant wins if we win (if an outside interim coach comes in. That coach has to mold with the team. it's going to take at least 2-3 weeks for the outside interim head coach gels with the team. Surely you can't "expect" the Cowboys to instantly win during this transaction... If they do, great... By all means wins would be welcome....

Again, that's if we bring in an outsider to be interim head coach....

Now again, the alternative would be to promote from within...…. If we promote from within, the "molding with the team" theory goes straight out the window

Who (that is currently on the coaching staff) has what it takes to instantly get us to the playoffs? Because all of the coaches on staff should have gelled with the players by now so this should be instant progress if our interim HC (promoted from within) is worth anything...

Personally, I think if anything is going to happen with Garrett, it should happen after the season... But for Heaven's sake, DO NOT RENEW HIM....

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Jane Slater made a comment about how the players are still backing and believing in Garrett. But, actions speak louder than words and if they come out playing flat, uninspired football once again against the Bears, then I don't believe they are behind Garrett if they aren't going to give it their all to try and keep his job as their coach for at least a little while longer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jane Slater made a comment about how the players are still backing and believing in Garrett. But, actions speak louder than words and if they come out playing flat, uninspired football once again against the Bears, then I don't believe they are behind Garrett if they aren't going to give it their all to try and keep his job as their coach for at least a little while longer.
And the local media will blow up placing more pressure on Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
With all due respect, It doesn't matter when they fire Garrett (if they even fire him as opposed to just finishing up his current contract). It won't give life and spark the team

Hear me out on this...

If they were to fire him before the end of the season, there are only 2 options Jerry has. As mentioned multiple times previously, bring in an outsider to be interim head coach or promote someone within to be interim. That's the obvious... I get that.

But here is where I'm going with this...

If you bring someone in, it's not going to be instant wins if we win (if an outside interim coach comes in. That coach has to mold with the team. it's going to take at least 2-3 weeks for the outside interim head coach gels with the team. Surely you can't "expect" the Cowboys to instantly win during this transaction... If they do, great... By all means wins would be welcome....

Again, that's if we bring in an outsider to be interim head coach....

Now again, the alternative would be to promote from within...…. If we promote from within, the "molding with the team" theory goes straight out the window

Who (that is currently on the coaching staff) has what it takes to instantly get us to the playoffs? Because all of the coaches on staff should have gelled with the players by now so this should be instant progress if our interim HC (promoted from within) is worth anything...

Personally, I think if anything is going to happen with Garrett, it should happen after the season... But for Heaven's sake, DO NOT RENEW HIM....
Of course you can expect instant wins. If Garrett can win with a 1-7 team in his Debut anyone on this staff could provide a spark with this team. And most of all it cuts the Cancer out.

nobody

Reaction score
I am not sure about five in a row but I have never doubted Dallas would have beaten to San Francisco, even WITH the 49ers having Deion Sanders.

I think they'd certainly have had 4 in a row for sure. A 5th would have been a possibility, but not as likely given coach poaching, the cap, and such

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Aikman is right about the issues in Dallas. A good coach won’t help if the owner won’t get out of the way.
Yep. Of course he’s right.

But many fans on this forum appear to fall more into the false hope category than hopeless.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wouldn't make any changes in season. It sends a bad message for future possible coaches..We've already been down that road once before we shouldn't do it again. Regardless, this team isn't going to win anything. Can Moore or Richard get more out of the players? Perhaps, but it really doesn't matter and even that is debatable.
It provided a spark last time we did it. And like working for Jerry in any capacity sends a good message to future coaches . Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think JJ is looking as hard as he can for reasons to keep him for the rest of the season. JJ coming out of the locker room crying said a lot to me, even if he may have been drunk and emotional I believe he knows there is no choice. JG has likely given up and players know this. He has been lame duck all year.
That's the difference between Booger and me, when I am drunk and crying, I want to fire Garrett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put Marinelli in as HC and let him add 3 more L's to that HC resume or call Linehan back in, he could use some more as well.

If they lose in CHI, that will be on the team and their execution, most likely, not the coaching. The Bears are on a 2 game streak and the Cowboys are on the opposite of that and still favored in that game, which is puzzling to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Put Marinelli in as HC and let him add 3 more L's to that HC resume or call Linehan back in, he could use some more as well.

If they lose in CHI, that will be on the team and their execution, most likely, not the coaching. The Bears are on a 2 game streak and the Cowboys are on the opposite of that and still favored in that game, which is puzzling to me.
I think the vibe is wagers still want to think Cowboys will try to save face at least winning division. Plus Cowboys have more at stake with Bears just playing for pride. And Dallas is always over hyped with line.

Last edited: