If Cowboys take OL at 19

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I don’t get what the big deal would be if an OL was taken at #19.
I don’t care how many 1st rounders are spent if it solidifies the offense and helps the team win more games.
For some reason, I doubt these same people griping about using another 1st would have an issue if we’d used four 1st round picks to have the most dominant DL in the NFL.
If you’re smart, on draft day you combine need with talent available.
The Cowboys need a starting LG. If the best player available is an OL, that can be a dominant LG, then grab him.
“But then you’re spending x amount of money on one unit.... blah blah blah.”
By the time this pick’s rookie contract is up, T. Smith could be out of the league with his bad back.
Best...Player...Available!
Sure, I would like to trade back if it was an OL, but what if there are no trade partners? Give me Wynn (can play G or T) or Daniels (can play G or C) and don’t look back.
There is not one WR in this draft that will make the immediate impact of either of those guys on this offense.
Now, let’s have Vea fall to #19, grab him and then worry about our LG in round #2

(Copy and pasted from another thread)

Tristan

Reaction score
Love Hernandez, Wynn, Daniels and Price!

Our biggest competition to get to SB is the Eagles with theyre D Line of Fletcher Cax, Dereck Barnett, Michael Bennett, Chris Long, Brandon Graham, Haloti Ngata and Timmy Jernaggen I probably even forgot one but thats seven deep they can rotate

We cannot have a weak link, and we must have Ron Leary quality backups and competition to compete w theyre D Line.

Last edited:

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
3 players will be there....

Who gives you the best chance to succeed?

Looking at Daks stats: I'd be willing to go OL at 19, unless someone really falls

Tristan

Reaction score
Defense wins. sone of you dont get it.
Defense does win Championships! Buuuuutttt...There is no such thing as a great defense with an offense that gets three and outs. Any defense forced to stay on the field will get tired and fail.

A great defense is a rested defense that comes in pumped because the O just scored, doesent matter who u draft on d if they have to go right back on the field saying "really?!?"

Long Dominating offensive drives not only kepp our d fresh and ready it also demoralizes the opponents D.

anybody remember that drive in the second Buffallo SB when we gave the ball to emmitt every single play except one pass to moose and we shoved them to the back of the end zone and basically made them tap out? Thats what im talking about!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
As long as it’s a guard and not a tackle I’m fine with OL at 19. Daniels, Wynn or Hernandez would all be day one starters

You could take the tackle and move Collins to OG.

If you are dead set on taking an OL at 19 and you have McGlinchey, for example, rates higher than Wynn, you take McGlinchey.

Reaction score
Taking an O-lineman in the 1st round is putting too much capital into one segment of the team. Besides, the defense needs help at DE, LB, & S. We can get an OT in the 2nd-4th round. (Collins is not a very good OT-50.7 PFF grade- 56th rated OT, so taking an OG & keeping him at RT isn't smart). By drafting a tackle in the 2nd-4th round, the team could move Collins back to LG. Fleming could hold down the fort at RT until the rookie becomes acclimated to the NFL. I really like Brandon Parker, N.C. A&T. He more than held his own at the Senior Bowl at 6-7, 310, with quick feet, great length & long arms. He could eventually fill in/start in place of Tron, should his back act up again. We need to look to a future without him, given his health issues.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t care how many 1st rounders are spent if it solidifies the offense and helps the team win more games.
For some reason, I doubt these same people griping about using another 1st would have an issue if we’d used four 1st round picks to have the most dominant DL in the NFL.
The Cowboys need a starting LG. If the best player available is an OL, that can be a dominant LG, then grab him.
By the time this pick’s rookie contract is up, T. Smith could be out of the league with his bad back.
Sure, I would like to trade back if it was an OL, but what if there are no trade partners? Give me Wynn (can play G or T) or Daniels (can play G or C) and don’t look back.
There is not one WR in this draft that will make the immediate impact of either of those guys on this offense.
Now, let’s have Vea fall to #19, grab him and then worry about our LG in round #2

The whole point of having that many assets already invested in the OL (and TB for matter) is that with that core in place, you shouldn’t then need to invest more too assets to solidify the OL.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I have no problem with it but hearing Jerry it has to be extraordinary circumstances for us to draft an olineman again in the first RD.

jday

Reaction score

Barring a few exceptions, I want trenches in the first period. Both units are a piece away from being dominant. Ideally, the 1 and 2 would address both...the impact of that could be tremendous.

Dark_Knight

Reaction score
I would be ok with it in a trade back scenario or if they are just absolutely head and shoulders better than any other player left on the board but I really really would prefer a defensive player if possible

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Defense does win Championships! Buuuuutttt...There is no such thing as a great defense with an offense that gets three and outs. Any defense forced to stay on the field will get tired and fail.

A great defense is a rested defense that comes in pumped because the O just scored, doesent matter who u draft on d if they have to go right back on the field saying "really?!?"

Long Dominating offensive drives not only kepp our d fresh and ready it also demoralizes the opponents D.

anybody remember that drive in the second Buffallo SB when we gave the ball to emmitt every single play except one pass to moose and we shoved them to the back of the end zone and basically made them tap out? Thats what im talking about!!!!!!!!!
So a rookie ol is the difference btw getting 3 and outs and not getting them? Stop it. And some of you are under the impression that a rookie guard is a good pass protector. We’re not running the ball on every play

Tristan

Reaction score
He’s right.

This line has 3 of the best OL at their positions in the entire league.

This notion that at OG at 19 is the difference between this being a blah OL and a great one is peculiar. This OL was one of the best in football in 2016 with a UDFA at LG and a 4th round pick at RT.
No hes wrong and so are u, nobody said we have to take a guard at 19 just said solving that issue is key! Unless ur gonna ask denver for leary back were else u gonna get one? Im cool w putting Collins back at lg and getting another ot like J Brown in the second, but I stand by my opinion that unless LG is fixed the D wont matter as far as contending goes.

If ur one of those guys that thinks we were ok w the likes of Coop at lg or another below average jag then I dont speak ur language and have nothing more to say, the chick u think is hot I think is ugly as sin on christmas day, simple as that

ICP

Reaction score
If they go OL at 19 I think they need to trade up in the 2nd for LB and then it shows that they don't view WR as a priority

Billyd

Reaction score
QUESTION..Who is starting at guard right now? Thats right...No one..Last year is what happens with no one..

Dallas needs to take a gd either at 19, 50, or move up..Personally id rather draft down pick up at least another two, and take one of the guards in the second..Take the Dt, Lbr, or WR AT 24-31 OR whoever bites between us and 31...

Some Analysts saying the potential gds drop off After Corbett.

Im not for taking a wr at 1..DT OR lbr Really but The picks for those two positions better at 19..So there you go..

Drafting up is not worth it..HOWEVER i would not be surprised if the Safety falls, Cowboys duet anyway..My take gents..

Ugly this year as need is four positions, Jerruh, potentially showing his arse..Yada!!