If Cowboys take OL at 19

Sydla

Reaction score
QUESTION..Who is starting at guard right now? Thats right...No one..Last year is what happens with no one..

Dallas needs to take a gd either at 19, 50, or move up..Personally id rather draft down pick up at least another two, and take one of the guards in the second..Take the Dt, Lbr, or WR AT 24-31 OR whoever bites between us and 31...

Some Analysts saying the potential gds drop off After Corbett.

Im not for taking a wr at 1..DT OR lbr Really but The picks for those two positions better at 19..So there you go..

Drafting up is not worth it..HOWEVER i would not be surprised if the Safety falls, Cowboys duet anyway..My take gents..

Ugly this year as need is four positions, Jerruh, potentially showing his arse..Yada!!

This notion that last year was because we had no LG is such an exaggeration.

The OL was doing fine with Cooper. The issue was when the LT started to slow down and eventually sit out because of his back.

In other words, it didn’t really matter who was playing LG last year when Smith went down.

Sydla

Reaction score
No hes wrong and so are u, nobody said we have to take a guard at 19 just said solving that issue is key! Unless ur gonna ask denver for leary back were else u gonna get one? Im cool w putting Collins back at lg and getting another ot like J Brown in the second, but I stand by my opinion that unless LG is fixed the D wont matter as far as contending goes.

If ur one of those guys that thinks we were ok w the likes of Coop at lg or another below average jag then I dont speak ur language and have nothing more to say, the chick u think is hot I think is ugly as sin on christmas day, simple as that

We were fine with Cooper last year. He wasn’t the problem. The problem was smith’s back got worse as the year went on.

That was the single biggest issue the OL faced last year, not Cooper at LG.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t get what the big deal would be if an OL was taken at #19.
I don’t care how many 1st rounders are spent if it solidifies the offense and helps the team win more games.
For some reason, I doubt these same people griping about using another 1st would have an issue if we’d used four 1st round picks to have the most dominant DL in the NFL.
If you’re smart, on draft day you combine need with talent available.
The Cowboys need a starting LG. If the best player available is an OL, that can be a dominant LG, then grab him.
“But then you’re spending x amount of money on one unit.... blah blah blah.”
By the time this pick’s rookie contract is up, T. Smith could be out of the league with his bad back.
Best...Player...Available!
Sure, I would like to trade back if it was an OL, but what if there are no trade partners? Give me Wynn (can play G or T) or Daniels (can play G or C) and don’t look back.
There is not one WR in this draft that will make the immediate impact of either of those guys on this offense.
Now, let’s have Vea fall to #19, grab him and then worry about our LG in round #2

(Copy and pasted from another thread)

Spending first rounders at other areas has nothing to do with what happens at left guard.

Just because Tyron Smith was a first rounder and is a great player (when healthy), doesn't mean that you can get anybody to play left guard.

Just because Travis Frederick was a first rounder and a great player, doesn't mean that you can get anybody to play left guard.

The fact is that they tried that to start the season last year. Somebody make the mistake of thinking Chaz Green could do the job and they were wrong. And the offensive line struggled to find cohesiveness. And the entire team struggled as a result.

When they changed out Green for Cooper, the offense went from scoring 22 points a game to over 30 points a game. Cooper is now gone, but people want to try to minimize the loss by trying (and failing) to minimize his play and the overall impact on the team.

This entire team is based around what the offensive line does. Did people not watch the 2017 season? When that unit struggled, so did the entire team. As they go, so go the Cowboys. Offense and defense.

And right now, there's a big hole at left guard, with nobody to fill it. If value lines up with your need, you take it. And be grateful.

I can get a linebacker who'll be playing 30% of the time if he's lucky, later on.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m betting Hernandez isn’t a first round pick at all. No matter what fans think, guards are not valued the way tackles are. Plus, most rate him as the 4th best interior lineman. I don’t see him selected till round two.

cowboyec

Reaction score
put James Daniels at OG would allow Collins to stay at OT.
bust rate is very low.
OG comes in and is a day1 starter.
best way to help your young franchise QB...give him a wall up-front.
0 problem with a OG at 19.
never understood the static about it.
this OG class IS NOT that deep.
you want an immediate starter,better take him early because they dry up quickly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m betting Hernandez isn’t a first round pick at all. No matter what fans think, guards are not valued the way tackles are. Plus, most rate him as the 4th best interior lineman. I don’t see him selected till round two.

Guards are being more highly regarded each year, not less. The salaries for the position have steadily risen, they haven't decreased. This team is about to set the bar for the highest one.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Biggest bang for the buck for this team and the way it is designed is OG in round 1.

Get back to a dominant run game. That helps Dak and helps the defense. No other pick gives you all of that in round 1

Sydla

Reaction score
So...... to build a dominant run game we need an OG at 19? If that’s the case, then there bigger problems here than who is playing LG.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Biggest bang for the buck for this team and the way it is designed is OG in round 1.

Get back to a dominant run game. That helps Dak and helps the defense. No other pick gives you all of that in round 1

So we basically need 5 1st rounders on OL to have a dominate run game. Awesome.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Because to compete for a Championship, you need a complete team - or a dominant defense. You won't have either if you spend half of your last 8 first round picks on the offensive line.

... and for those that think Martin's contract is going to be too costly, you'll never compete for anything if you spend half your picks on the OL - then let the ones that turn out to be great walk after their rookie contract.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are some scenarios where you might have the BPA who also fits a need being a LB, and Olinemen (whether that be an OG or an OT to move Collins back to OG), WR, S or DT. One could also argue a TE that would be a shocker.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I agree. Some are trying their hardest to make it seem it’s certain that 5, possibly 6 interior O linemen are going in the 1st this year. I see 3 going in the 1st (which draft patterns show is uncommon) and Hernandez going about where Forrest Lamp was drafted last year which was in the late 30s. He has no position flex and will probably only ever play LG in the NFL. Heck Billy Price could go before due to his ability to play both guard and center at a high level.

Maybe we are banking on this and are set to trade up to get him. A defensive stud in the 1st and using both day 2 picks to move to the top of the 2nd to get Hernandez and a late round pick would be a win in my eyes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Bottom line is you need both. offensive line at 19 if BPA. defense BPA with other picks still get you the same result. You can't control what is available when you are on the clock.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Linebacker is not a deep or talented position this year. Good? YES...but none are truly what you would call Elite. No Khalil Macks in this draft. Bowman might be the best LB we can get this year.

cowboyec

Reaction score
So...... to build a dominant run game we need an OG at 19? If that’s the case, then there bigger problems here than who is playing LG.
no.
its because the OG class is not that deep.
its why they took Taco last year and CBs in 2nd and 3rd...there comes a point when starting caliber OGs begin to dry up.
James Daniels is 1st Rd worthy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because to compete for a Championship, you need a complete team - or a dominant defense. You won't have either if you spend half of your last 8 first round picks on the offensive line.

... and for those that think Martin's contract is going to be too costly, you'll never compete for anything if you spend half your picks on the OL - then let the ones that turn out to be great walk after their rookie contract.
There are players you let walk instead of paying them. Martin is that generational type talent that you do not let walk.