If Cowboys take OL at 19

millennial_legend

Reaction score
no.
its because the OG class is not that deep.
its why they took Taco last year and CBs in 2nd and 3rd...there comes a point when starting caliber OGs begin to dry up.
James Daniels is 1st Rd worthy.
No... we took them out of need. Probably should have taken Kevin King in the first instead of Taco to boot and still taken Awuzie and Lewis.

cowboyec

Reaction score
only 3 LBs made official 30 visits.
Evans and LvE...1st Rd'ers.
Darius Leonard....2nd,3rd or 4th Rd depending on what you read.

more LBs appear on private workouts list and dallas day invites...and the earliest other than LvE is Malik Jefferson,2nd Rd.
it tells me they dont appear as concerned about that spot as we are.
second....since most of them are after
Rd1....they must think Jaylon is good to go.

we'll see.

kskboys

Reaction score
We were fine with Cooper last year. He wasn’t the problem. The problem was smith’s back got worse as the year went on.

That was the single biggest issue the OL faced last year, not Cooper at LG.
That's what I was thinking.

IMO, we should start thinking OLT in the 3rd. Brian O'Neill.

cowboyec

Reaction score
No... we took them out of need. Probably should have taken Kevin King in the first instead of Taco to boot and still taken Awuzie and Lewis.
they took Taco because he wouldnt last to their 2nd pick....and thought they could still get a CB they liked.
DE group was drying up.
same thought process could see a OG or LB be our pick at 19....those groups are not as deep as WR group.

kskboys

Reaction score
Kevin King is not near the prospect that either Awuzie or Lewis is. Taking him in the first would've been stupid.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So...... to build a dominant run game we need an OG at 19? If that’s the case, then there bigger problems here than who is playing LG.

But how the left tackle and center plays somehow means you can neglect the position?

Cut Zach Martin then, you can get anybody to play right guard too.

Instead, I think the team will realize his value and make him the highest paid guard in the league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is you need both. offensive line at 19 if BPA. defense BPA with other picks still get you the same result. You can't control what is available when you are on the clock.

:clap:

I'm glad you're not ruling anything out before you're even on the clock and know who is and isn't available.

I think the Cowboys thankfully feel the same.

RandyOh

Reaction score
only 3 LBs made official 30 visits.
Evans and LvE...1st Rd'ers.
Darius Leonard....2nd,3rd or 4th Rd depending on what you read.

more LBs appear on private workouts list and dallas day invites...and the earliest other than LvE is Malik Jefferson,2nd Rd.
it tells me they dont appear as concerned about that spot as we are.
second....since most of them are after
Rd1....they must think Jaylon is good to go.

we'll see.
their is a big drop off in linebacker talent after Edmunds, Ro Smith, Evans, and LVE. Not a good year to need a non pass rushing LB.

I don’t see Jefferson as a 2nd round talent. He’s a 3rd rounder at best who will overdraft due to his athleticism and lack of quality at the position. Someone is going to draft a good athlete who’s a not so good football player early. Hope it’s not us.

Sydla

Reaction score
But how the left tackle and center plays somehow means you can neglect the position?

Cut Zach Martin then, you can get anybody to play right guard too.

Instead, I think the team will realize his value and make him the highest paid guard in the league.

Yes, how the C and LT play allows you the ability to not have to then sink premium assets into the LG position and use them elsewhere to build a "team" not an "OL".

That was basically the whole point of investing what we had in the OL to date. That they then wouldn't have to use top assets to fill out the OL because they were anchored by three all pros already (and a TB who was picked 4th).

There isn't a team in football that has invested what we have in the running game.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
On Dallas 30+privates and Dallas day list they interviewed
OL: Hernandez, Corbatt, BSmith, Daniels, CWilliams, Miller, McGlinchy

They didn't interview Nelson, Wynn, Price, Ragnow.

That is 11 guys that play the OL and I expect would start and I think they will take which ever one falls to 50.

cowboyec

Reaction score
their is a big drop off in linebacker talent after Edmunds, Ro Smith, Evans, and LVE. Not a good year to need a non pass rushing LB.

I don’t see Jefferson as a 2nd round talent. He’s a 3rd rounder at best who will overdraft due to his athleticism and lack of quality at the position. Someone is going to draft a good athlete who’s a not so good football player early. Hope it’s not us.
if you total the official 30,private workouts and dallas day guys...most of them are 3rd Rd'ers or later.
seems like they are more interested in depth/potential starters.
cant rule out 1 at 19.....but they seem to like Lee,Jaylon and Wilson as starters and want better depth.
maybe Im wrong.
Hitch was a 4th Rd pick I think.
I wouldnt be surprised if we dont address it til the 3rd or 4th.
unless we take one at 19 obviously.

CPanther95

Reaction score
There are players you let walk instead of paying them. Martin is that generational type talent that you do not let walk.

Also, generally speaking, I wouldn't draft any player in the first round that I wasn't willing to sign to a 2nd contract if he turns out to be good - or great. If top money is too rich for that position, don't pick that position in the first round.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, how the C and LT play allows you the ability to not have to then sink premium assets into the LG position and use them elsewhere to build a "team" not an "OL".

It didn't work out that way last year when they tried Chaz Green in there. Because they couldn't trust him to do his job, both Smith and Frederick did not play up to their prior standards. That change affected the entire line and by extension, the entire offense.

It wasn't until. Cooper replaced Green that the offense started to once again be themselves and put up points.

That was basically the whole point of investing what we had in the OL to date. That they then wouldn't have to use top assets to fill out the OL because they were anchored by three all pros already (and a TB who was picked 4th).

I'd like to be able to "go cheap" somewhere along the line as well, but I'm not passing on talent and risking a repeat of last year by forcing it. If talent lines up with need, you take it and be grateful. People calling to sign a free agent guard don't realize that anyone they signed would have likely been paid more than this "1st round guard" will make anyway.

There isn't a team in football that has invested what we have in the running game.

That's undeniably true. But, given that it is this team's identity, and the driving force behind success and failure, that's not a bad thing. And I'm not willing to risk the team struggling like they did last year because "some guard" they drafted can't do the job.

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's not that it is a bad move, it just seems like your scouting dept should be able to hit on one lineman that is not a 1st rounder.

And Collins does not count -he was just a lucky situation for the Cowboys!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It's not that it is a bad move, it just seems like your scouting dept should be able to hit on one lineman that is not a 1st rounder.

And Collins does not count -he was just a lucky situation for the Cowboys!

They should but are you willing to risk the entire season on whether they can or not?

This team is built around the offensive line, and running the ball. Some of Frederick and Martin's struggles were due to the guys around them as well.

aikemirv

Reaction score
They should but are you willing to risk the entire season on whether they can or not?

This team is built around the offensive line, and running the ball. Some of Frederick and Martin's struggles were due to the guys around them as well.

I don't think the season is risked by a Guard. It is risked by Tyron going out and we looked to have plugged that gap. If necessary Collins could go back to G.

Draft a guy in the 3rd and see if you can get a solid starter.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I don't think the season is risked by a Guard. It is risked by Tyron going out and we looked to have plugged that gap. If necessary Collins could go back to G.

The reason they brought in Fleming is to fill that hole if Smith gets banged up. If you move Collins back to guard you no longer have the luxury.

Plus they need to stop moving Collins around and let him develop at RT.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Yes, I don't see that you have to have a first round, top of the draft heap guard to improve the offensive line. Let's say you do get one of those, however, and he turns into another Martin. And if Collins stays at OT and turns into a top player, then if Smith stays healthy, you could have an offensive line with essentially Pro Bowl players at every position.

But to my recollection that's never happened, but teams without that have won Super Bowls, even multiple Super Bowls.

If you do your due diligence a third rounder can be more than adequate to fill out the line...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Plus they need to stop moving Collins around and let him develop at RT.

Or move him back to guard and let him stay there. He's had essentially one year at both spots, think he can be at least very good at either position.

But pick a spot and leave him there...

kskboys

Reaction score
Also, generally speaking, I wouldn't draft any player in the first round that I wasn't willing to sign to a 2nd contract if he turns out to be good - or great. If top money is too rich for that position, don't pick that position in the first round.
I like that.