If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You are assuming Wilson will be content with that contract while the rest of these escalate. Wilson's agent is watching what happens in GB very closely.
oh, I know his agent is watching and he will want close to Mahomes money.....

do I object to paying Wilson that type of money. not so much. I am never worried about extra few M (3,4,5M) to a QB....but if I had three first round picks....heck, I would want to build a defense using those picks....Wilson hasn't done it without that Vaunted defense.....our defense is worse than seattle. what do we expect the results to be 45 pts per game and basketball shoot outs every game. I am sure Dak detractors and Wilson supporters would say with this offense, its impossible for us not to score every drive, and blah blah blah.....

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It only takes 1 team to get really dumb. The bigger question is how soon will the team regret signing dak to 40.
No sooner than they regret signing the DE, RB, WR and LB.

The question is was Prescott playing like a 40M QB last season? He was on a record pace and the team was 1-3 but that was the team, not him. He kept firing and was easily worth that 31.4M and had he not been injured, are there any doubts the Cowboys win the East?

The question is he worth 40M is simple. Of course he is. The question is he worth that to a team with the other contracts they have in place is a far different question. JAX and NYJ could easily pay him 40M and still add marquis FA's. The Cowboys will do well to even keep what they have paying him the 37.7M tag.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh, I know his agent is watching and he will want close to Mahomes money.....

do I object to paying Wilson that type of money. not so much. I am never worried about extra few M (3,4,5M) to a QB....but if I had three first round picks....heck, I would want to build a defense using those picks....Wilson hasn't done it without that Vaunted defense.....our defense is worse than seattle. what do we expect the results to be 45 pts per game and basketball shoot outs every game. I am sure Dak detractors and Wilson supporters would say with this offense, its impossible for us not to score every drive, and blah blah blah.....
Wilson for Prescott does not make this a better team. It's the same team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Teams with at least $40m in cap space and a need for a QB include Jags, Jets, Pats, WFT, and Colts. Snyder has $54m in space. I think Dak would do well in Indy or NE.

This notion that there is no market is absurd.

Jags and Jets? Seriously?
Colts? Seriously?
Pats can get Garoppolo or Brissett much cheaper.

WFT may have $54M but they have to pay their draft class ($10M), pay FA Scherff ($12-15M/year), pay Kerrigan, get some FA WRs, TE, secondary players, and start to lock up some of their DLs long term. That money will disappear quickly. No way the WFT can fix their holes and sign Dak at $40M.

So, that leaves which team?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Sure he will. Dak allegedly wanting $40 million per year is exactly where the QB market is & he's right on par w/what other QB's have been paid, & nearly identical to the percentage of the salary cap.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jags and Jets? Seriously?
Colts? Seriously?
Pats can get Garoppolo or Brissett much cheaper.

WFT may have $54M but they have to pay their draft class ($10M), pay FA Scherff ($12-15M/year), pay Kerrigan, get some FA WRs, TE, secondary players, and start to lock up some of their DLs long term. That money will disappear quickly. No way the WFT can fix their holes and sign Dak at $40M.

So, that leaves which team?
i think WFT will be all over Dak if he becomes available..... 54M is a lot of cap room to have and they can structure it to push the money into the future to get passed 2021 cap limitations.

I wish I had the problems they do, like having to sign the DL to long term deals which is not up for another couple of years...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow, okay.
His deep bucket ball is the best in the game and he's got weapons. The rest of his game doesn't set him apart to me.

If all QB's are to be held accountable for their worst play then he should be for that terrible pass in the SB to lose the game. Carroll caught the heat for the call but it was poorly executed by the QB.

That said, it is not easy comparing QB's with different teams and different systems. I am not predicting anything for Wentz in Indy because I've seen two sides of him. And I do think PHL was becoming toxic for him and affecting everything about him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i think WFT will be all over Dak if he becomes available..... 54M is a lot of cap room to have and they can structure it to push the money into the future to get passed 2021 cap limitations.

I wish I had the problems they do, like having to sign the DL to long term deals which is not up for another couple of years...
And Snyder would love to stick it to Booger. And Prescott is Rivera's kind of QB. He would love to have him to build around and rely on his leadership.

And I don't sell Booger short knowing that might be one of the teams out there waiting. Can you imagine anything worse for him than letting Prescott go and he joins that team and they're successful. I think the very thought of that is a motivator for him to get this deal done. And I can't really blame him, that would be any owner's nightmare but one that runs the team? His worst nightmare.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And Snyder would lone to stick it to Booger. And Prescott is Rivera's kind of QB. He would love to have him to build around and rely on his leadership.

And I don't sell Booger short knowing that might be one of the teams out there waiting. Can you imagine anything worse for him than letting Prescott go and he joins that team and they're successful. I think the very thought of that is a motivator for him to get this deal done. And I can't really blame him, that would be any owner's nightmare but one that runs the team? His worst nightmare.
washington has a good foundation, yes they are missing a few pieces, but they are no different than any other team, ninja is over exaggerating the challenge for them. they have a good front 7 and he keeps harping about their CB issues, well, we don't have a DL, LB and probably one good player in the secondary if he works out..... and they have good WRs, decent line, yes, they can draft another OL man this year and start to shore it up. they can take a CB, much like we plan to do. they are closer to being a good team and make a run than we are with the state of our defense. and we have less cap room than they do....

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Wow, okay.

What has Wilson won without Lynch and a top defense? Nothing.

Wilson had a sissy fit last season midway and demanded to let him be the focus. He threw a bunch of interceptions and the team fell apart the latter part of the season.

Yeah, yeah, yeah got to give him offensive weapons and a top defense.

Flamma

Reaction score
What do you think the contracts of Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray are going to look like? Mayfield is a lot like Prescott to me, not an elite QB except for the team he's on. Then, in 2023, we get Burrow and Herbert up for extensions and maybe Tua shows up by then. Of these 6, think any are going to get less than 40M? The Browns might not want to pay Mayfield that but that's what the QB market is all about.

Pay your guy or go shopping. And good luck with that if your guy is a fan favorite. Some owners actually care about keeping their fans happy.

You're forgetting one thing. Those teams are competitive right now. They've built their teams up while having a good QB on a rookie contract. Now you have to pay them if you want to win. Even when they extend them, they'll still have two years left on their rookie contracts. So yeah, they are in an ideal situation to pay their quarterback. Dallas is almost completely opposite that situation.

Flamma

Reaction score
that would be the absolute most dumbest move ever.

On the one hand all you all complain, we can't build a defense with 40M paid to a QB, now you want wilson, who will average 36M over the next three years...and would want to kill the bank on his next contract...and all you all complain giving Dak a 3 year deal won't give us flexibility and now you want Wilson with a 3 year deal..... and wilson is 1-3 in the playoffs in the past 5 years...when he lost his vaunted defense, he hasn't faired as well. so now, coming to dallas, with a 36M tag, no first round picks to build a defense. what do you think is going to happen? oh, sorry I forgot that 4M extra should help us land a couple of franchise type Defensive players in FA to rebuild the defense.... dang...how could I forget

For any team that trades for Wilson, their cap hit would be 19, 19, and 22 for the next 3 seasons.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Teams with at least $40m in cap space and a need for a QB include Jags, Jets, Pats, WFT, and Colts. Snyder has $54m in space. I think Dak would do well in Indy or NE.

This notion that there is no market is absurd.

Damn, fuzzy, I wish one of those team would step up and take him away from this team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Give Dak the transition tag..hopefully somebody out there is willing to sign him and give up 2 1st round picks..then take those 2 1st round picks and throw in one of ours (either this years or next years) and trade them all to Seattle for Russel Wilson..end result we get Wilson for only one of our own 1st round picks

There is not a team in the NFL that would give up two 1's for The Dak...don't make jokes like this.