If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
what do you mean build around Dak? are you saying we should build a defense through FA? and not sign Dak. given drop off in QB play, is the defensive players available enough to compensate for that? we saw first hand the huge drop off in play from Dak to Dalton, so unless you think we can sign several high priced FA and hope the defense can then carry the team, I am not sure if that's a wise idea. plus if we pay Dak, is there anyone on defense you like to pay and you can't as a result?

Drop off in QB play? Dalton would have won this division if not for missing 2 games. That's with only 1 starter at OL for a big part of the time he started. Dak isn't worth 35+ and we probably don't win the division untill his contract is no longer an albetross. You'll see.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Payne and Allen are UFAs next year. Does WFT extend them now or wait until next year? Don't you think both Payne and Allen want paid right now? Do you think they want to take the risk of getting injured like Dak without a long term contract? I could see both holding out this year. And they both want Mack/Donald/Lawrence/Cox money. And guess what happens if Allen and Payne hold out this year and you just signed Dak to a monster contract? Welcome to up crap creek without a paddle.
what's the bigger need? its painfully obvious its the QB, so if they can get a top 10 franchise QB in Dak, then they will sign him in a NY second....then they can negotiate with payne and allen during the season and if they come to terms with one, franchise the other.....they can even afford to lose one of them and probably will get a 3rd round pick in return. they were a top 4 team in defense in multiple categories, even if losing one will drop them off a bit, the addition of Dak to their offense will more than compensate....

you are arguing that WFT with 54 M in cap space is in a worse place than the cowboys and many other teams, which is simply not true. your spin makes zero sense. I wish we were in their situation and would get an opportunity to sign a Dak Prescott type QB. we all would be giddy with joy on this board....

and like I said, the money for cap management purposes would be pushed to 2023 and beyond where cap is expected to jump 20-25%......its rather easy to do...just see mahomes contract. he got a 10 year 450, 45M average and his cap hit this year was 24M, next year 31M.....and it increases exponentially after that, which means contract redo and push more money down the line....

you are just arguing because you want to win and argument. I expected you to be smarter than this.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Drop off in QB play? Dalton would have won this division if not for missing 2 games. That's with only 1 starter at OL for a big part of the time he started. Dak isn't worth 35+ and we probably don't win the division untill his contract is no longer an albetross. You'll see.
LOL....Dalton would have won the division...too funny. Dalton got spanked, killed when he played average to good teams like WFT and AZ and Ravens...he won three games against 4 win teams with their back up QBs needing 9 turnovers to do it...when it mattered to at least win a game and keep dallas relevant he folded like a cheap Kmart lawn chair against the Giants....

to think Dalton would have won two more games is just hilarious......

Dalton would have won the division :lmao::lmao2: the only way would be if we played 4 win teams all season and half of them play their back up QBs.... :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jerry said a deal was imminent just before the 2019 season. I don't see how he could be referring to a deal from Guerriero when France was hired over a year before that. From what I've been able to gather France was hired in June 2018. Jerry said a deal was imminent September 2019.

OK, first of all, I think I told you when Guerriero got fired in response to the question you posed. I can probably find that post if need be. Show me the quote you are referring to from Jerry. Lets actually see the timeline so that we can stop going around in circles here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you like going 8-8 then sure he looked really good against bad defenses didn't he. The real question is can you build around Dak while he makes 40 mil a year...not if the cap is 180...maybe when it reaches 220...and then he'll want a new contract and we can start over yay us.
That's not the question to me. The question is can they build around him or any other QB regardless of the contract? They had the best deal going and couldn't build around him.

This has been my issue with those saying they can't build around him at 40M, they couldn't at 2M. They're paying a RB 15M, they're too stupid to build a contender.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have thought about that, taking Pitts. given our history of bad defensive picks in the first round, do we now become gun shy and avoid a defensive player or do we just move forward. this team stays competitive with an offense. so the question is how much better does Pitts make this team. keep in mind there is only so many offensive plays per game. with pollard, zeke getting touches, there is what? 30-35 passes to split between Cooper, CD, Gallup, Pitts, Schultz, Jarwin and Pollard....so Pitts catches will come at the cost of others....so the impact maybe 2,3 points per game. is that enough? not sure. the thought of it is exciting, but if we don't fix this defense, we are not going far anywhere....
Agree and if they were thinking Pitts, if he is even there, they need to trade Gallup because just so many plays to go around and Lamb will be emerging.

You give 6'2" Prescott Pitts going across the middle and Cooper and Lamb on the outside and rotate all 3 through the slot and you've got a matchup problem. Elliott and Pollard out of the backfield and on some screens and just go all Air Coryell on the defenses and an offense like that could average 35+ a game. The key is doing that against the better teams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Agree and if they were thinking Pitts, if he is even there, they need to trade Gallup because just so many plays to go around and Lamb will be emerging.

You give 6'2" Prescott Pitts going across the middle and Cooper and Lamb on the outside and rotate all 3 through the slot and you've got a matchup problem. Elliott and Pollard out of the backfield and on some screens and just go all Air Coryell on the defenses and an offense like that could average 35+ a game. The key is doing that against the better teams.

You take away Gallup and you shrink the field. Things get tighter unless Pitt can be that guy for you. You need that other deep threat to make Safeties play honest.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You take away Gallup and you shrink the field. Things get tighter unless Pitt can be that guy for you. You need that other deep threat to make Safeties play honest.
Pitts might be the most unusual receiver the Cowboys have ever had, if they get him.

Kiper is a goofball at times but he has been pretty dead on with his TE rankings and he has Pitts as the highest ever. When I watched FL play, I wondered why they don't just throw to him on every play, no one could guard him. He is not the typical TE, he's not going to be a blocker, he's a WR in a TE body and athletic.

I think Gallup would be a luxury if they picked Pitts. Use Cooper as the deep threat and Lamb as the possession WR, which is what he is, and use the other WR's here and there but Pitts is a prime time TE waiting to happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Pitts might be the most unusual receiver the Cowboys have ever had, if they get him.

Kiper is a goofball at times but he has been pretty dead on with his TE rankings and he has Pitts as the highest ever. When I watched FL play, I wondered why they don't just throw to him on every play, no one could guard him. He is not the typical TE, he's not going to be a blocker, he's a WR in a TE body and athletic.

I think Gallup would be a luxury if they picked Pitts. Use Cooper as the deep threat and Lamb as the possession WR, which is what he is, and use the other WR's here and there but Pitts is a prime time TE waiting to happen.

I've watched a lot of him. He's got some skills but I don't know that he is what a lot of people make him out to be. He has good speed, apparently, for a man his size but he doesn't have WR speed to really threaten deep to all parts of the field IMO. But if you can isolate him on a SS, he could create problems.

Either way, this Offense will need another deep threat. That's not Cooper IMO.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
OK, first of all, I think I told you when Guerriero got fired in response to the question you posed. I can probably find that post if need be. Show me the quote you are referring to from Jerry. Lets actually see the timeline so that we can stop going around in circles here.

Dak hired Todd France June 2018
https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article213809819.html

Jerry Jones said a deal was imminent September 2019
https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/09/09/dak-prescott-jerry-jones-new-deal-imminent-cowboys

I was trying to establish the timeline as well because this is the first I've heard of a deal with Guerriero. I'm not sure how that even makes sense if Todd France was hired before Dak could even negotiate a new deal. France was hired June 2018 and Dak wouldn't have been at the end of his third year till after the end of the 2018 season. Do you have a link for that?

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Who would want Dak? Atlanta maybe. Washington. Chicago. Denver maybe. Vikings maybe, maybe. The reality is his market is not that deep. Looks like the Jets will stick with Darnold. Rams are done. Jags are taking Lawrence. Colts are done. There just aren’t many teams.

My answer is no. The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. This is the magnum opus of GM Jerry’s horrible career.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I get what you are trying to convey here Chuck but to me, the real question here is, "If you sign Dak to that contract, how do you improve the Defense?" So if we look at this from the perspective of, can we bring in QB options that allow us to be a better team, are there any out there?
I agree with you to some extent. I was just answering the original question. That said, since it has been documented that the Cowboys purposely structured contracts with restructuring options that could create up to 92 million in cap space, I don’t see any QB’s salary as a deterrent to rebuilding a defense. The defense needs to be rebuilt via the draft, in my opinion, but the Cowboys could sign 1-2 key players if those players are allowed to actually reach free agency. The problem, as we’ve seen, is that even when the Cowboys have money under the cap, they now prefer to leave it unused rather than spend it on stars in free agency. I wish they’d bring in a couple established players in FA, but unless they change their recent intrenched philosophy, it looks like the draft is the only way to build the defense.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
LOL....Dalton would have won the division...too funny. Dalton got spanked, killed when he played average to good teams like WFT and AZ and Ravens...he won three games against 4 win teams with their back up QBs needing 9 turnovers to do it...when it mattered to at least win a game and keep dallas relevant he folded like a cheap Kmart lawn chair against the Giants....

to think Dalton would have won two more games is just hilarious......

Dalton would have won the division :lmao::lmao2: the only way would be if we played 4 win teams all season and half of them play their back up QBs.... :laugh::lmao::lmao2:

We were 1 game out of the division. Dalton beat as many good teams as dak typically does. And he did it without the stout OL dak normally has.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's not the question to me. The question is can they build around him or any other QB regardless of the contract? They had the best deal going and couldn't build around him.

This has been my issue with those saying they can't build around him at 40M, they couldn't at 2M. They're paying a RB 15M, they're too stupid to build a contender.

Your right they wouldn't go all in when he was cheap and they won't now. Stephen is not an all in type of guy. Keeping dak is less about football and more about being a face of the franchise. But he'll use the 40 to say that's why they can't add more players except those one off deals like quinn, smith, and rookies. We will look good on paper but not on the field....status quo 25+ years and counting yippie

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jags and Jets? Seriously?
Colts? Seriously?
Pats can get Garoppolo or Brissett much cheaper.

WFT may have $54M but they have to pay their draft class ($10M), pay FA Scherff ($12-15M/year), pay Kerrigan, get some FA WRs, TE, secondary players, and start to lock up some of their DLs long term. That money will disappear quickly. No way the WFT can fix their holes and sign Dak at $40M.

So, that leaves which team?

"Seriously?" is not an argument. Yes seriously they can pay him and need QBs.

Dak is better than those 2 you mention by a lot. Not to mention Garoppolo is under contract and would require draft picks and taking up his similar contract

WFT 19th pick cap pool is more like $7m and you have no idea what they plan for in FA.

And keep in mind that there are other teams under $40m in space and can create more space. At the end of the day Dak would be the best FA QB under 30 to hit the market since Drew Brees left the Chargers.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Who would want Dak? Atlanta maybe. Washington. Chicago. Denver maybe. Vikings maybe, maybe. The reality is his market is not that deep. Looks like the Jets will stick with Darnold. Rams are done. Jags are taking Lawrence. Colts are done. There just aren’t many teams.

My answer is no. The Cowboys are negotiating against themselves. This is the magnum opus of GM Jerry’s horrible career.

Colts and Pats both have more than $40m in space, great defenses, and need a QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Y’all really underrate the market for quarterbacks....

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
"Seriously?" is not an argument. Yes seriously they can pay him and need QBs.

Dak is better than those 2 you mention by a lot. Not to mention Garoppolo is under contract and would require draft picks and taking up his similar contract

WFT 19th pick cap pool is more like $7m and you have no idea what they plan for in FA.

And keep in mind that there are other teams under $40m in space and can create more space. At the end of the day Dak would be the best FA QB under 30 to hit the market since Drew Brees left the Chargers.

Highly unlikely anyone trades for Garoppolo since his contract is toxic. Teams will wait for the 49ers to cut him. 49ers don’t want to pay him his contract of around $27M.

The Jags are taking Lawrence. The Jets will keep Darnold and/or draft a QB at pick #2 or with their 2nd round pick.

Yes, a healthy Dak is better than Brissett and Garappolo but is Dak healthy? He can’t even pass a physical before the draft. And Dak costs a lot more than those two. So is Dak worth the extra $25-30M/year. Not in my opinion.