If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I just watched the Todd McShay draft special and Chris Mortenson, true old school NFL insider, who does not seem to be a clicks guy like Ed Werder, said basically Dak will be a Cowboy for along time. I can almost guarantee with his Arkansas connection he gets his inside information from the Joneses. But I know discussing Prescott’s contract is the only thing driving talking heads ratings in the offseason.:rolleyes::omg::facepalm:

CWR

Reaction score
When is the market going to reset though when the TV money keeps getting insane and the cap goes up every year. Look at NBA Contracts. The average player can get 15M per year. It's be cause the league keeps going and the tv deals are so much money. Yes, Dak would get 40 on the open market. Easily...Quickly.

It's not that most don't understand "market rate." It's that the actual market rate in the NFL only goes up. The resets everyone talks about don’t seem to ever happen, because like you mentioned the league keeps making more and more money. When the cap goes up 10 million a year for 7 years the contracts are not going to get smaller. One down year because of a pandemic is easily offset by the new TV contracts. The NFLPA and the players are projecting the future cap space, and looking directly past this seasons bump in the road.

CWR

Reaction score
According to Jane Slater Nope... and she didnt say that directly, but mentioned on total access the other day that when she asked other teams they said he was top 10 QB ( 9, to 10) but not Patrick Mahomes ( 1) money

That's interesting to hear. I'll have to look for that segment. I would figure him to be a bit higher, but Im sure the injury set him back a couple spots.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If Dak were to hit the open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40+ MM / year? I'm not sure other teams are that high on him

Teams with at least $40m in cap space and a need for a QB include Jags, Jets, Pats, WFT, and Colts. Snyder has $54m in space. I think Dak would do well in Indy or NE.

This notion that there is no market is absurd.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Let's just say, if we had a quarterback like Alex Smith and Dak is on another team. Would you want the team to throw out two first for him and whatever it would take. Don't forget his amount of money he would be wanting.
I'd say definitely no.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Let's just say, if we had a quarterback like Alex Smith and Dak is on another team. Would you want the team to throw out two first for him and whatever it would take. Don't forget his amount of money he would be wanting.
I'd say definitely no.

Give Dak the transition tag..hopefully somebody out there is willing to sign him and give up 2 1st round picks..then take those 2 1st round picks and throw in one of ours (either this years or next years) and trade them all to Seattle for Russel Wilson..end result we get Wilson for only one of our own 1st round picks

Flamma

Reaction score
Give Dak the transition tag..hopefully somebody out there is willing to sign him and give up 2 1st round picks..then take those 2 1st round picks and throw in one of ours (either this years or next years) and trade them all to Seattle for Russel Wilson..end result we get Wilson for only one of our own 1st round picks

You're forgetting about the beauty of the Transition tag. The beauty is that it will show the true market value of the player at that time. Why? Because if the Cowboys don't match, they get squat in return. The transition tag is created for one thing only. If a player is asking for way more than he's worth. I don't mean just a little, but way more. I think it could have been used on Dak for the first tag. Not so sure now. The Transition tag can also be looked at as insulting for the reason I mentioned previously.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You're forgetting about the beauty of the Transition tag. The beauty is that it will show the true market value of the player at that time. Why? Because if the Cowboys don't match, they get squat in return. The transition tag is created for one thing only. If a player is asking for way more than he's worth. I don't mean just a little, but way more. I think it could have been used on Dak for the first tag. Not so sure now. The Transition tag can also be looked at as insulting for the reason I mentioned previously.

I did say hopefully!......;)

tm1119

Reaction score
I'd say definitely no.

Lol Alex Smith...have you watched football since 2018? It’s not even guaranteed he’s going to play football ever again, let alone at a high level

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Lol Alex Smith...have you watched football since 2018? It’s not even guaranteed he’s going to play football ever again, let alone at a high level
lol, you might want to reread the post. It was a what-if.

Last edited:

Adreme

Reaction score
I'd say definitely no.

That wasn’t the premise. The premise was open market which means not having to give up 2 1s.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'd say definitely no.
depends...... if I felt that I was close, yes, heck, I would throw it out in a heartbeat....but our defense is a big question mark. so the question you ask is do we want to be competitive, because he allows us to be or do we want to suck royally. that's the question you are asking.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
that would be the absolute most dumbest move ever.

On the one hand all you all complain, we can't build a defense with 40M paid to a QB, now you want wilson, who will average 36M over the next three years...and would want to kill the bank on his next contract...and all you all complain giving Dak a 3 year deal won't give us flexibility and now you want Wilson with a 3 year deal..... and wilson is 1-3 in the playoffs in the past 5 years...when he lost his vaunted defense, he hasn't faired as well. so now, coming to dallas, with a 36M tag, no first round picks to build a defense. what do you think is going to happen? oh, sorry I forgot that 4M extra should help us land a couple of franchise type Defensive players in FA to rebuild the defense.... dang...how could I forget

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think the contracts of Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray are going to look like? Mayfield is a lot like Prescott to me, not an elite QB except for the team he's on. Then, in 2023, we get Burrow and Herbert up for extensions and maybe Tua shows up by then. Of these 6, think any are going to get less than 40M? The Browns might not want to pay Mayfield that but that's what the QB market is all about.

Pay your guy or go shopping. And good luck with that if your guy is a fan favorite. Some owners actually care about keeping their fans happy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It only takes 1 team to get really dumb. The bigger question is how soon will the team regret signing dak to 40.

blueblood70

Reaction score
noones using the transition tag, not going to help at all..the NE Tag is best for both sides, if Dak is as good as he and his brother and agent believe then teams would be willing to give up 2 1sts and offer him 40mil over 4 years hes seeking..

we all want to see that...transition tag you risk losing player for nothing..no need for that thats not goods business art all unless you like Vegas..

if Dak is that coveted how are 2 1sts unrealistic? teams gave up there starters and high draft picks for Stafford etc other oddball trades all over the league..

well time to let the fans, dak, and his agent see whos truly in the dak boananza..if there arent offers then well the jonses regain the leverage. Maybe it wakes up Daks team and if there are offers a few then the DC FO see maybe hes worth keeping or accept the 2 firsts and move forward to the future.

dak will not in no way shape or form be FA in 2021..moot debate

48hrs until we find out the tag hes given..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that would be the absolute most dumbest move ever.

On the one hand all you all complain, we can't build a defense with 40M paid to a QB, now you want wilson, who will average 36M over the next three years...and would want to kill the bank on his next contract...and all you all complain giving Dak a 3 year deal won't give us flexibility and now you want Wilson with a 3 year deal..... and wilson is 1-3 in the playoffs in the past 5 years...when he lost his vaunted defense, he hasn't faired as well. so now, coming to dallas, with a 36M tag, no first round picks to build a defense. what do you think is going to happen? oh, sorry I forgot that 4M extra should help us land a couple of franchise type Defensive players in FA to rebuild the defense.... dang...how could I forget
You are assuming Wilson will be content with that contract while the rest of these escalate. Wilson's agent is watching what happens in GB very closely.