If Dak is average in 2019 and we don't come close to a Super Bowl

InTheZone

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.

InTheZone

Reaction score
He's getting a 6 year deal, probably between 25 and 30 million dollars. Absolutely nothing that happens in 2019 will change that. You may not like it, but you can't dispute it.
but you didn't answer my question

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
but you didn't answer my question

I would be opposed to it because LVE didn't work out and you didn't have a 1st rounder in 2019, so if you draft a QB in 2020 and he fails, that's 1 solid first rounder in the last 4 years, which is Cleveland Browns territory. You have a QB, fill a position you don't have.

John813

Reaction score
It would take [redacted] for the Cowboys to dump Dak. He's the future.
Coaches would be fired instead.

I would be opposed to it because LVE didn't work out and you didn't have a 1st rounder in 2019, so if you draft a QB in 2020 and he fails, that's 1 solid first rounder in the last 4 years, which is Cleveland Browns territory. You have a QB, fill a position you don't have.

LVE or Taco?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.
Because his dog might bite my middle finger off and I need that finger to wave at Garrett!

InTheZone

Reaction score
So you're assuming LVE is going to suck in 2019 and that Amari Cooper, our experienced 2019 1st round pick isn't good enough to help Dak? Again, the stats put Dak in average territory. I don't think you can give me an honest answer until you understand that before applying any reason to my question.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If he’s average then you still draft BPA anyways. If it happens to be QB at #1 then do it, otherwise don’t reach.. I’m over the Rush experiment anyways, Dak can be #2 if a rookie beats him out, but I seriously doubt it...

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So you're assuming LVE is going to suck in 2019 and that Amari Cooper, our experienced 2019 1st round pick isn't good enough to help Dak? Again, the stats put Dak in average territory. I don't think you can give me an honest answer until you understand that before applying any reason to my question.

Meant Taco. And yes, Im going to assume he sucks in 2019 because of what we've seen so far and the lack of opportunities hes going to get to redeem himself. LVE is the 1 solid guy I referenced.

It is my honest answer. You can call Dak average, but average is not a bad word. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Your DT position is not good enough. Draft a DT next year, keep Dak, will probably see better odds than drafting a rookie QB mid-to-late first round and rolling the dice on a bargain DT in free agency.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drafting a replacement maybe, but if you don’t already believe a backup is good enough to start then you won’t suddenly believe he is more capable if we don’t get to close to the Super Bowl.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Meant Taco. And yes, Im going to assume he sucks in 2019 because of what we've seen so far and the lack of opportunities hes going to get to redeem himself. LVE is the 1 solid guy I referenced.
Ok, but again you're not answering the question. If DAK, not Taco, or our non-existent first round pick (which in this case is Amari Cooper) looks average again in 2019 and hasn't received an extension yet, why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Drafting a replacement maybe, but if you don’t already believe a backup is good enough to start then you won’t suddenly believe he is more capable if we don’t get to the Super Bowl.
yes, but you're forgetting the part where we've built a team with a low salary QB. If Dak looks average and gets paid top $$$ for his position we are literally throwing away our chance at success over the next several years since he will need players to elevate him, not the other way around. If we can't afford more support how do we win?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
yes, but you're forgetting the part where we've built a team with a low salary QB. If Dak looks average and gets paid top $$$ for his position we are literally throwing away our chance at success over the next several years since he will need players to elevate him, not the other way around. If we can't afford more support how do we win?

Where would you put the money otherwise? You don't throw money at free agents anymore, you haven't brought in a legit dominant DT off the street in Jerry's entire ownership history.

If Dak is average, the Cowboys will win 8-11 games. Who was the last first round QB drafted after slot #16 that panned out to be better than Dak is playing right now at any point in his first 3 years? Bridgewater even the closest? You're basically throwing away most of Cooper's prime by doing that. It's more likely Dak ascends, against whatever odds there seems to be, than a Brandon Weeden or a Johnny Manziel or a Patrick Ramsey who wasn't worth taking as a top 15 pick ends up working out.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Actually Daks career stats puts him above average if you look at almost every starter their first 3 years. Sure you will have a Mahomes that clearly has outplayed him but Daks stats are much better than just average or bellow average. Now if you are using experienced QBs numbers after their first 3 years years different and unfair

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not a big Dak fan . Been very critical of his passing consistency, etc..But we can win with him. The kid brings some intangible assets. Yes, he needs elite support . The question is ; has he done enough to secure the job. Probably. Do we want more? Of course.

Then what’s our chances hitting something more in the meantime. Are we willing to take a step back if we don’t hit right away.

I think the bigger question is can we surround him with enough to get to the next level. We aren’t that far away. We’ve come pretty close to a championship appearance twice in 3 years. The unknown is much more uncertain.

Despite the criticism which much of it is deserved I think you stay with him until it goes South completely. If we’d had another 2017 season or finished off how it started in 2018 then it’d be a stronger argument.

I think we’d all prefer a more prolific QB but most would like to see how the kid develops. He’s prob shown enough not to kick him to the curb.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s a fair argument. One we won’t know until it plays out. But I don’t think we kick Dak to the curb just yet.