If Henry Ruggs is Dallas's pick, what is your reaction?

If Henry Ruggs is Dallas's pick

• Total voters

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
We downgraded at wr but there is more important positions to fill.

There's always more important positions to fill every year, but certain positions like WR and especially CB those are positions you need depth. Every year your team has holes, and by taking lesser players because you need to fill a hole turns into you having to fill 2 holes the following year when that guy doesn't pan out. Go get good players in the draft, fill holes in FA and let things play themselves out.
Fredrick retirement, Byron Jones and Quinn being too costly, and the list goes on. This team has drafted by need over best players for a long time and it's hurt them, also drafting players by a pigeon holed scheme like the last one has done more disservice than anything. Not taking TJ Watt over Taco was one that is recent, also not wanting Tre Boston and Tyran Mathieu because they don't fit the scheme is BS and shows the scheme is obsolete.
Hopefully with the new coaching staff those are things of the past, and the Poe and Ha Ha signing are pointing that it is.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I'd much rather get Hightower in the second or third round and go defense at #17. But I'll say this, I'd be much happier with Ruggs than I would if they pick a safety.

Hightower is a late 3 at best in this WR class. I hope we can get someone like CJ Henderson or Chaisson in the first, and someone like Aiyuk in the 2nd.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
There's always more important positions to fill every year, but certain positions like WR and especially CB those are positions you need depth. Every year your team has holes, and by taking lesser players because you need to fill a hole turns into you having to fill 2 holes the following year when that guy doesn't pan out. Go get good players in the draft, fill holes in FA and let things play themselves out.
Fredrick retirement, Byron Jones and Quinn being too costly, and the list goes on. This team has drafted by need over best players for a long time and it's hurt them, also drafting players by a pigeon holed scheme like the last one has done more disservice than anything. Not taking TJ Watt over Taco was one that is recent, also not wanting Tre Boston and Tyran Mathieu because they don't fit the scheme is BS and shows the scheme is obsolete.
Hopefully with the new coaching staff those are things of the past, and the Poe and Ha Ha signing are pointing that it is.

I like they made changes but don't really expect much of an upgrade at dt or s. Just fill guys for a year or 2 imo

Landryhat73

Reaction score
The great thing about Ruggs is he can play special teams as well. So in my view he would give us a weapon that we haven’t had because of his speed but he isn’t pigeon holed into only a slot receiver.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It seems the consensus of his scouting reports is he struggles and cannot beat press coverage. No question in the open field this guy will run away from defenders. But this is the big leagues and teams will press him. However, can he play the slot and beat the coverage on the first step?

There are some really great assessments about when he gets past the line and catches the ball. He will scare the Hell out defenders and force teams to use a CB on him if he is in the slot.

I am indifferent. I can see this guy being the Dallas equivalent of DeSean Jackson. Or being another whiff at a speedster that does not translate to the NFL because of strength and get open ability at the line.
They cant be drafting a slot guy as if that's the last piece of our Super Bowl team.

I'm hoping the entire FO understands they are as far away as they actually are.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
If Brown, Kinlaw, Chaisson, and Henderson are all gone (which hell they might be) then I would be ok with it. Not with any of them on the board though.

kumizi

Reaction score
Will be a fun team to watch next year. First to 40 wins every game.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The board is going to dictate who the Cowboys take. It’s among Ruggs, Kinlaw, Chaisson, Henderson and maybe McKinney. Patrik Walker in his mock chose Trevon Diggs, but I think he is just gaslighting the fan base.

So of those 5 players, I think two will be on the board. Most people have Ruggs going to Denver at 15 and Chaisson to Atlanta at 16. The Jags could take Kinlaw. If it’s between Kinlaw and Henderson that’d be a tough choice but I’d go Kinlaw. And if only McKinney is available, I strongly consider trading down.

ultron

Reaction score
Fine as long as he is BPA.

A lot of crazy things are going to have to happen for that to be the case.

Mostly everyone would agree there are two WR better than Ruggs in this draft....at least.

How can a team be happy with the 3rd best WR in a draft at pick 17 with a defense like they have?

Unless most reports are wrong, chances are there will be several later round WR that end up better than him.
Him being the 3rd best WR prospect to come out of college football is a pretty amazing thing for an offense that can already run the score up on you without an ‘elite’ speedster. This kid has insane speed that you simply can’t teach. This kid adds a wrinkle to an offense that already has 5 or 6 perennial pro-bowlers & would stretch the field for Zeke to have more space to run and Zeke will be able to get more opportunities to catch the ball underneath or in the flank. He really adds an interesting dynamic to an already dynamic offense. In regards to being the “3rd best at his position”, ask Bears fans how they feel about drafting Mitchell Trubisky (1st QB taken) instead of Patrick Mahomes (2nd QB taken)... there are many, many more instances of this happening in the draft but that one came to mind first.

ultron

Reaction score
They cant be drafting a slot guy as if that's the last piece of our Super Bowl team.

I'm hoping the entire FO understands they are as far away as they actually are.
If your slot guy runs a 4.27 which is tied for the 3rd fastest 40 in NFL history and the guy can flat out catch & run at a very high level - that’s a potential serious piece to solving a lot of problems. It’s hard to beat a team that you can’t out score. An offense featuring Zeke, Amari, Gallup, Ruggs, Pollard, Jarwin, Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, La’el Collins with Dak throwing dots is a nightmare for defenses. MM and Kellen Moore would have a field day with those weapons.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If your slot guy runs a 4.27 which is tied for the 3rd fastest 40 in NFL history and the guy can flat out catch & run at a very high level - that’s a potential serious piece to solving a lot of problems. It’s hard to beat a team that you can’t out score. An offense featuring Zeke, Amari, Gallup, Ruggs, Pollard, Jarwin, Tyron Smith, Zach Martin, La’el Collins with Dak throwing dots is a nightmare for defenses. MM and Kellen Moore would have a field day with those weapons.
I'm always skeptical of those 40 times.

They dont play the games in shorts and tshirts and run straight lines.

Its possible that with pads on Ruggs plays slower than others. Also your speed means nothing if you dont catch the ball.

Now, I dont think or know any of this about Ruggs.

I DO think that Lamb or Jeudy are more complete players, and there is way more to the WR position than 40 speed.

How often does the 4.27 guy get the perfect angle to use it to beat the 4.4 guy from tackling him?

In the end, it's not Ruggs vs the world, and I don't wish to argue it....but I do know that with the way this team has allocated its resources, I'd be disappointed if they get the third ranked WR at pick 17.

ultron

Reaction score
I'm always skeptical of those 40 times.

They dont play the games in shorts and tshirts and run straight lines.

Its possible that with pads on Ruggs plays slower than others. Also your speed means nothing if you dont catch the ball.

Now, I dont think or know any of this about Ruggs.

I DO think that Lamb or Jeudy are more complete players, and there is way more to the WR position than 40 speed.

How often does the 4.27 guy get the perfect angle to use it to beat the 4.4 guy from tackling him?

In the end, it's not Ruggs vs the world, and I don't wish to argue it....but I do know that with the way this team has allocated its resources, I'd be disappointed if they get the third ranked WR at pick 17.
Have you seen the kid play? His speed translates on the field and he has very good hands & runs crisp routes. When he gets the ball he looks almost identical to Tyreek Hill (in my opinion). He’s a freak of nature, but like anyone that gets drafted - you never know how his game will translate to the NFL. He could end up being a better pro than Lamb and Jeudy, especially in the Kellen Moore offense. I think there’s a zero percent chance he’s a bust, but it just depends on whether the Cowboys want to take a WR or not.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Have you seen the kid play? His speed translates on the field and he has very good hands & runs crisp routes. When he gets the ball he looks almost identical to Tyreek Hill (in my opinion). He’s a freak of nature, but like anyone that gets drafted - you never know how his game will translate to the NFL. He could end up being a better pro than Lamb and Jeudy, especially in the Kellen Moore offense. I think there’s a zero percent chance he’s a bust, but it just depends on whether the Cowboys want to take a WR or not.
Well that may indeed be the case.

Theres no possible way one of us knows that better than the other.

Guys who run teams make these choices and live or die with them...career wise. We just watch...and hope.

I can see Ruggs being the best of the bunch, and I can see four guys in this draft in later rounds who end up better.

Either way, if they take a WR at 17, and Cooper isnt working out come 2022, that guy needs to be the #1, not a slot guy w speed.

ultron

Reaction score
Well that may indeed be the case.

Theres no possible way one of us knows that better than the other.

Guys who run teams make these choices and live or die with them...career wise. We just watch...and hope.

I can see Ruggs being the best of the bunch, and I can see four guys in this draft in later rounds who end up better.

Either way, if they take a WR at 17, and Cooper isnt working out come 2022, that guy needs to be the #1, not a slot guy w speed.
I agree 100%. I’d rather have CeeDee Lamb but I don’t know that Ruggs is just a slot guy. His size is a concern but Tyreek Hill and DeSean Jackson are roughly the same size and could play X, Y, or Z. Either way I rather them go defense in the first round, but Ruggs and Lamb are potentially very high impact players & this offense would be pretty damn fun to watch.

waldoputty

Reaction score
would like be bpa at our pick, but would be worried about him staying healthy given his size

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Depends on who is left on the draft board. Doesn't Ruggs III return punts as well?