CFZ If I cared as much as I used to, I would have an ulcer

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
In the 70s, we lived and died Dallas Cowboys; they were the air in our lungs. The Hail Mary gave us sheer joy, and the Super Bowl losses to Pittsburgh were sheer agony.

If I cared that much today, I would be institutionalized somewhere, wearing a straight jacket and singing nursery rhymes. They do enough to build a team that I start to get excited about, and then they make STUPID and ASININE mistakes that you wouldn't expect from an amateur. There were multiple things like that in the Jags game, but the one where I tossed my cookies was when the defense bailed them out by forcing a fumble. Cool, we pig up all the time and we win! Then it's third and whatever (about 8?) and they have one timeout left. A running play forces them to use their final timeout, and we punt, giving them very little time and no timeouts. Or we complete a high percentage safe pass, and it's the same thing if we don't get the first, or the game is iced if we make it.

What do we do? A low-percentage bomb down the field for a ton of yards that we don't even need. It's incomplete, giving them three gifts:

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout
Get the ball back with more time

It drives me bonkers! Most of us watching would have known better than to do that, and we're not pros! Some of us here have played at the high school or maybe even the college level, but we're not a bunch of ex NFL players and coaches.

If our amateur judgement is obviously better than our coaches, what does that say about these coaches?

I mean SHEESH! That was pretty basic stuff. Am I right? Or is there some reason why throwing a bomb down the field was a great idea?

Anyway, I'm not going to live or die Cowboys like I did when I was a kid. No way can I do that. I don't want to end up in a rubber room.

JayFord

Reaction score
If i cared as much as i cared in the 90s?

oh man i used to cry after games....like literal tears would run down my face. I took football SERIOUS! and i was worse when i played organized football to the point my mom would threaten to take me off the team, i would sob, cry and want to seriously harm somoene

Now? at 35? with all my health conditions, i couldnt careless havent really cared in years i mean i want the team to win but theres no point going into a blinding rage while punching and peeing on the walls

those days are over

*edit
well i did cry during the cowboys browns game of 2020 because i never seen a defense so bad
and i did actually cry after the 2017 season when they didn't fire Jason Garrett

jwitten82

Reaction score
I used to get pissed when we lost, damn near ruined my whole week. I stopped taking losses so bad during the 2010 season when the team quit on Wade,and funny thing is, it was the Jacksonville game. That was the first time I literally laughed when we got scored on, you could see the lack of effort from that team.

Praxit

Reaction score
..you know what I do, to disengage myself from bad losses or bad season.

I tell myself, "those are grown men making millions playing the game". "Its there problem to fix, not mine"

Regardless, what happens. I'm still life long cowboy fan. One day, will get back to winning championships again.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
In the 70s, we lived and died Dallas Cowboys; they were the air in our lungs. The Hail Mary gave us sheer joy, and the Super Bowl losses to Pittsburgh were sheer agony.

If I cared that much today, I would be institutionalized somewhere, wearing a straight jacket and singing nursery rhymes. They do enough to build a team that I start to get excited about, and then they make STUPID and ASININE mistakes that you wouldn't expect from an amateur. There were multiple things like that in the Jags game, but the one where I tossed my cookies was when the defense bailed them out by forcing a fumble. Cool, we pig up all the time and we win! Then it's third and whatever (about 8?) and they have one timeout left. A running play forces them to use their final timeout, and we punt, giving them very little time and no timeouts. Or we complete a high percentage safe pass, and it's the same thing if we don't get the first, or the game is iced if we make it.

What do we do? A low-percentage bomb down the field for a ton of yards that we don't even need. It's incomplete, giving them three gifts:

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

It drives me bonkers! Most of us watching would have known better than to do that, and we're not pros! Some of us here have played at the high school or maybe even the college level, but we're not a bunch of ex NFL players and coaches.

If our amateur judgement is obviously better than our coaches, what does that say about these coaches?

I mean SHEESH! That was pretty basic stuff. Am I right? Or is there some reason why throwing a bomb down the field was a great idea?

Anyway, I'm not going to live or die Cowboys like I did when I was a kid. No way can I do that. I don't want to end up in a rubber room.
I stated in another thread that being a Cowboy's Fan should be classified as a mental illness because you have to love pain to follow this team.
And to your point this team has the football IQ of a turnip.

J_Allen

Reaction score
If i cared as much as i cared in the 90s?

oh man i used to cry after games....like literal tears would run down my face. I took football SERIOUS! and i was worse when i played organized football to the point my mom would threaten to take me off the team, i would sob, cry and want to seriously harm somoene

Now? at 35? with all my health conditions, i couldnt careless havent really cared in years i mean i want the team to win but theres no point going into a blinding rage while punching and peeing on the walls

those days are over

*edit
well i did cry during the cowboys browns game of 2020 because i never seen a defense so bad
and i did actually cry after the 2017 season when they didn't fire Jason Garrett

I'm 39. I cried like a baby when we lost to the Panthers in the 96 playoffs. I knew it was over and it broke my heart. Well, I knew it was over before then but I didn't want to believe it.

Now I don't care as much anymore. I can't remember the last time I cried. The game that stung the most was when we lost to Arizona after Garrett iced our kicker. That one was physically painful. We've had a lot of painful games but that one hurt the most for some reason.

cowboybish

Reaction score

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

Unfortunately losses no longer seem to bother me like they did in the 70s and 80s. After the Jimmy run and the Switzer gift it’s just never has been the same.

Jerry has mucked up the team to a point that it feels like he is the coach. He cant just shut his mouth and let real football guy’s guide this team so I’ve come to just except mediocrity and the occasional possibility that we just might and I’ll say it again, might make a championship run.

Flamma

Reaction score
I used to get pissed when we lost, damn near ruined my whole week. I stopped taking losses so bad during the 2010 season when the team quit on Wade,and funny thing is, it was the Jacksonville game. That was the first time I literally laughed when we got scored on, you could see the lack of effort from that team.

I remember that game. That was an embarrassment.

catiii

Reaction score
"Hectic Hectic it's gettin kinda Hectic! It's gettin, it's gettin, it's gettin kinda hectic!" LOL I couldn't care less anymore after all the years of punishment they've dished out on us all. When JJ paid Dak and Zeke the money he did I just LMAO. The clown car circus is merely entertainment for me these days knowing I'll be dust in the wind before this team sees another championship.:eek: The Jones' have lost an entire generation of fans because even though we watched when they were little, neither of my kids could care less now and neither watch the games.

Pacowboy1968

Reaction score

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Stopped clock
They keep their timeout

You are 1000% correct. This last Sunday the stupidity by Kellen Moore gives me no hope this team will go anywhere yet again come playoff time.