If I were coaching Dak

cern

Reaction score
dak ran one in for a td against the 49ers for about 10 yards. that's what he does well. if he sees the opening, he takes it. he's also good at the rpo. he looks downfield when scrambling. he throws well on the run. tony's forte was in reading defenses. that comes with time. once dak acquires that skill, he'll be an outstanding qb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How many quarterbacks do you see who have shown that ability to escape that Romo did? I would guess every coach would love for his quarterback to be able to do that if needed but I don't think it's something you really can teach.

For as great as Romo was, he was an average game manager. Too much of a risk taker. Pass happy and foolhardy. Threw much too many picks and in situations he never should. We almost NEVER saw tony throw the ball away.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you consider Elway a bus driver? He didn't win until Davis was in the backfield. When Denver featured Davis, Elway's numbers went way down.

In his later years he was more of a bus driver when he was older. Younger years, no chance.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
For as great as Romo was, he was an average game manager. Too much of a risk taker. Pass happy and foolhardy. Threw much too many picks and in situations he never should. We almost NEVER saw tony throw the ball away.
Is there a Cowboys QB that you do like?

cern

Reaction score
Garrett was a mediocre QB and never put in the necessary work to have the tools necessary to be a good HC in the NFL.
garrett was never going to supplant aikman. he was content to get a pay check. seems that penchant for getting a check has carried over to his coaching career. but for 5.5 million a year, he'll walk the company line until he's shown the door. can't say I blame him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
In his later years he was more of a bus driver when he was older. Younger years, no chance.
He was putting up 3,000+ yds and throwing high twenties TDs in his later years (minus a season in which he was injured)... roughly the same amount of yards/TDs he put up early in his career (save, one 4,000 yd season)

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
A bus driver is a weak link QB that is asked to play it safe and not make a mistake to lose the game. Troy Aikman was an important piece of the offense being a key cog in its success of a balanced offense, far away from what a bus driver is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He was putting up 3,000+ yds and throwing high twenties TDs in his later years (minus a season in which he was injured)... roughly the same amount of yards/TDs he put up early in his career (save, one 4,000 yd season)

Yep, just like what Dak is going now. How many TD's and yards do you REALLY expect Dak to throw in this offense? If he ever got to 4k yards and 36 TDs that would be a lot. Hard to do that when you are running in 6-8 of those. But if add up his total yards and total TD's you will nearly be there.

cern

Reaction score
aikman drove a steamroller more than a bus. but as free agency reduced his o-line, as his receiving corp went elsewhere (needed more than just Irvin) and the coaching dropped off after jimmy, he began to lose more and more. similar to the 2017 cowboys. can't blame dak for everything that went wrong last year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A bus driver is a weak link QB that is asked to play it safe and not make a mistake to lose the game. Troy Aikman was an important piece of the offense being a key cog in its success of a balanced offense, far away from what a bus driver is.

Thats the insulting version of a bus driver. Just like you could call some guy a gunslinger and it be insulting.

Many people get insulted when I call Aikman a bus driver type. I use the word TYPE but it rarely has the affect I desire.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Dak needs to play his own game and he needs to figure out what pieces to add from other QBs. He is a smart QB and will figure what works best for him. He has everything he needs to succeed in Dallas.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you consider Elway a bus driver? He didn't win until Davis was in the backfield. When Denver featured Davis, Elway's numbers went way down (edit, no they didn't, my bad, but he wasn't the focal point of those Denver winning teams -- TD was).

Elway did get to the Super Bowl 3 times before Davis was in the backfield, and made the playoffs 10 times. In any case, Elway was something of a gunslinger by nature, whereas Aikman was more of a QB who wanted to run the system like well oiled machine.

I think it's a bit misleading when people refer to Aikman a bus driver though, because he was more integral to the well oil machine than just a guy who was manning the position and trying not to screw it up, which is the image I think people have with the label "bus driver". He kept the troops line, demanded precision and hard work, and was in complete control of the offense. He was the man in charge.

Elway's numbers in those Terrell Davis/Super Bowl winning years were really very similar to most of his career. He had a few years scattered through his career where he had bigger yardage totals and ypg averages, but for the most part the totals and averages were well in line with his career. He was more efficient though with Davis - slightly more TDs and a better TD/INT ratio.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Elway did get to the Super Bowl 3 times before Davis was in the backfield, and made the playoffs 10 times. In any case, Elway was something of a gunslinger by nature, whereas Aikman was more of a QB who wanted to run the system like well oiled machine.

I think it's a bit misleading when people refer to Aikman a bus driver though, because he was more integral to the well oil machine than just a guy who was manning the position and trying not to screw it up, which is the image I think people have with the label "bus driver". He kept the troops line, demanded precision and hard work, and was in complete control of the offense. He was the man in charge.

Elway's numbers in those Terrell Davis/Super Bowl winning years were really very similar to most of his career. He had a few years scattered through his career where he had bigger yardage totals and ypg averages, but for the most part the totals and averages were well in line with his career. He was more efficient though with Davis - slightly more TDs and a better TD/INT ratio.
Yeah, I had to edit that post (as I'm sure you saw)... My point is, before TD came, Elway was a loser. TD was the focal point on offense of those SB teams... not to diminish Elway in the least. You'll hardly hear someone proclaim Elway as a bus driver. Yet we hear it so often with Troy.

Reaction score
Dak is an athletic quarterback with perhaps greater athleticism than Tony Romo. But Tony was a wizard at avoiding rushing linemen. His spin move was patented and got him out of so many near sacks. If I were coaching Dak I would make him learn that move and use it just like Tony did.

Not a lot of QBs will ever have Romo's spin move. That came from Romo's basketball skill IMO.

Pokes12

Reaction score
If I was coaching the OLine I would "teach" Connor Williams to bench press like Larry Allen.

If I was the WR coach, I would "teach" Cole Beasley to be like Randy Moss (be 6-4 and run a 4.2 forty).

If I was the DB coach, I would look at Byron Jones and realize he is the same size as Deion Sanders. I would then "teach" him to play exactly like Deion.
There is a big difference between teaching a technique and comparing athletes who have completely different physical attributes. You can learn a spin move but you cannot go from 5' 8" to 6'4" no matter how hard you try. If you cannot appreciate the difference then you need to stop posting cause you are a dim witted fellow.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a big difference between teaching a technique and comparing athletes who have completely different physical attributes. You can learn a spin move but you cannot go from 5' 8" to 6'4" no matter how hard you try. If you cannot appreciate the difference then you need to stop posting cause you are a dim witted fellow.

It's comical that you thought I was serious.

Sure, I really thought somebody could go from 5-8 to 6-4.

My post was to make fun of your thread.