If I woke up as Jones today

Sydla

Reaction score
Fresh on my to do list for October 12th would be:

1) Meet with Garrett and Linehan and explain to them that playing cautious and chickencrap in our game plans has gotten us 3 losses in a row. I'd rather go down swinging than just watch us bleed to death with these unimaginative and conservative game plans. How come NE can figure out a way to get their smallish WRs open with pick plays, etc. and Linehan can't?

2) Tell them come hell or high water, they better have Cassel ready to play in 2 weeks.

3) Spend as much time getting Michael more involved in the offense. I may not totally believe in him myself but at this point, there's no reason not to try as we've seen McFadden be nothing more than useless and Randle look mediocre at best.

4) Get Leary into a training room and find out what the *** is wrong. And in the meantime, prepare Collins to start at LG. The OL still has its struggles but on a few of the "breakdowns" along the OL that we saw, when I rewound and watched the play, it was usually Leary who messed it up. One of those sacks of Weeden, the otehr 4 destroyed their guys and Leary just got shoved right back into Weeden. I might even consider moving Martin to LG and then try to run behind him and Smith. But that's a drastic move for another day.

5) Sorry Barry, but enough is enough. Get Jones in at FS and Wilcox to SS. White is now the nickle back. In certain situations, if you have a big TE or slot guy, then move Jones back into that role and insert Church if you have to. But the biggest issue right now in our suspect secondary play is our S play has been atrocious and to top it off, Church, himself has given up way too many big plays because he failed to make a tackle or overran a play. Enough is enough.

6) I like Hitchens, especially if he's playing alongside Lee and McClain but I might work Wilson in some more. He's just a more gifted guy than Hitchens (or Kitchens as Simms liked to call him). But this is a way down the list problem at this point.

7) I ask Marinelli what the hell is going on on the interior DL? Teams seem to be able to run right over us. If Hayden isn't getting the job done, and he wasn't yesterday, then find someone who can.

8) I get on a plane and fly to the deep jungles of the Amazon for some special ointment that will heal Gregory, Romo and Bryant and have them already for the first game out of the bye week. There has to be some sort of magical healer down there somewhere, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

links18

Reaction score
McFadden isn't being used correctly. Get him in space on screens, misdirections, etc. Running him into the line is pointless. Of course, so is the entire offensive philosophy right now.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
We need to find ways to get receivers separation on deep passes consistently and execute some plays here and there.

The blueprint to beat this team has been set...double underneath and play man-to-man deep and force somebody to beat you deep. If we had Romo and no Dez, I'm pretty sure this would be the gameplan. Romo would help because of his ability to scramble and eventually somebody gets open. But it's not likely to lead to a very high powered offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing some max protect and maybe get some extra time to beat somebody deep, but nobody does max protect anymore because...well, it's not en vogue and it's funner to dink and dunk the entire game.

YR

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
We need to find ways to get receivers separation on deep passes consistently and execute some plays here and there.

this isn't something you can always just "find ways" to do. either receivers can get separation, or they can't. our current group can't do it. they aren't good enough, and no one on the field scares the defense in any way, shape, or form.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
McFadden isn't being used correctly. Get him in space on screens, misdirections, etc. Running him into the line is pointless. Of course, so is the entire offensive philosophy right now.

Even as a receiver DMC runs soft, too much east west trying to avoid tacklers instead of putting head down and getting the sure one or two.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
People, you need to realize how extremely limited the offense will be with a backup QB (especially Weeden), and NO (read: ZERO) playmakers on the field. What is Garrett supposed to do? Options are painfully limited. All of these things being suggested, as if it's a simple fix that a message board poster can see, are futile. It's simply horribly difficult to operate with a QB like Weeden playing QB, especially with what we're trotting out at WR.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
By the way, the title should have been woke "up" a Jones not "on" a Jones. LOL.

Maybe he did mean to say "woke on a Jones"... hey, it's 2015 -- who are we to judge, right? :laugh:

alicetooljam

Reaction score

1) Meet with Garrett and Linehan and explain to them that playing cautious and chickencrap in our game plans has gotten us 3 losses in a row. I'd rather go down swinging than just watch us bleed to death with these unimaginative and conservative game plans. How come NE can figure out a way to get their smallish WRs open with pick plays, etc. and Linehan can't?

2) Tell them come hell or high water, they better have Cassel ready to play in 2 weeks.

3) Spend as much time getting Michael more involved in the offense. I may not totally believe in him myself but at this point, there's no reason not to try as we've seen McFadden be nothing more than useless and Randle look mediocre at best.

4) Get Leary into a training room and find out what the *** is wrong. And in the meantime, prepare Collins to start at LG. The OL still has its struggles but on a few of the "breakdowns" along the OL that we saw, when I rewound and watched the play, it was usually Leary who messed it up. One of those sacks of Weeden, the otehr 4 destroyed their guys and Leary just got shoved right back into Weeden. I might even consider moving Martin to LG and then try to run behind him and Smith. But that's a drastic move for another day.

5) Sorry Barry, but enough is enough. Get Jones in at FS and Wilcox to SS. White is now the nickle back. In certain situations, if you have a big TE or slot guy, then move Jones back into that role and insert Church if you have to. But the biggest issue right now in our suspect secondary play is our S play has been atrocious and to top it off, Church, himself has given up way too many big plays because he failed to make a tackle or overran a play. Enough is enough.

6) I like Hitchens, especially if he's playing alongside Lee and McClain but I might work Wilson in some more. He's just a more gifted guy than Hitchens (or Kitchens as Simms liked to call him). But this is a way down the list problem at this point.

7) I ask Marinelli what the hell is going on on the interior DL? Teams seem to be able to run right over us. If Hayden isn't getting the job done, and he wasn't yesterday, then find someone who can.

8) I get on a plane and fly to the deep jungles of the Amazon for some special ointment that will heal Gregory, Romo and Bryant and have them already for the first game out of the bye week. There has to be some sort of magical healer down there somewhere, right?

LOL at Kitchens...Simms....IDIOT.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
this isn't something you can always just "find ways" to do. either receivers can get separation, or they can't. our current group can't do it. they aren't good enough, and no one on the field scares the defense in any way, shape, or form.

Nonsense.

You can use scheme and deception to get people open deep.

Do you think Edelman gets open deep because he's great at getting separation deep? More like they use schematics to help do so.

YR

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Nonsense.

You can use scheme and deception to get people open deep.

Do you think Edelman gets open deep because he's great at getting separation deep? More like they use schematics to help do so.

YR

I think he's a great route runner, has Tom Brady throwing him the ball, and yes Belichick runs a great system. That combination makes it look much, much easier than it is. Unfortunately, we don't have a single part of that combination right now. We have Weeden, Williams, and Garrett (who isn't really to blame for any of this, but he's not Bill Belichick).

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Wanna bet it's a lot easier for WRs to get separation when Romo and Dez are playing? The defense has to respect the pass, so the run will work better. When the run works better, it opens up passing. No one is scared of Weeden, Williams, or Beasley beating them, and for good reason: they more than likely will not. This ALL goes hand-in-hand. Belichick is one of the best coaches ever, coaching the best QB ever. Of course we think we should do things their way. Problem is: we can't. It's not possible. We are incapable with Weeden throwing the ball to Williams.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

Can't disagree with any of this, Syd.

I would hope that JJ is taking care of #1 & 2, and that cases the staff to come out of their shells to get the rest done.

Can't quite figure the Leary situation -- if he's somehow dinged, then why was Collins inactive? Is he dinged, too? And is Martin 100%?

I guess we had the perfect health storm on the OL last year; sure am glad they're still young enough to do it again.