If I'm McCarthy I go get this ex-Cowboy back

John813

Reaction score
David Irving missed almost the entire year, including camp, over a divorce and an injury that was supposed to be a 4-6 week injury.

I get divorce may be brutal mentally, but he also stayed away from the Star most of the year. It wasn't just weed that kept him away. He wanted to not be here

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yea, McCarthy would prolly be open to giving a roster spot and mollions of cap dollars to a dude that can be counted on for about 6 games. Good call.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I’d argue their fandom is more insulting to their local or regional teams.

I can’t imagine being from and living in Dallas area and being a NY fan.

Namath was one of my Idols as a kid but I didn’t abort the Cowboys to be a Jets fan. I simply enjoyed watching him play and infatuated with his talent and success.

Fans can enjoy watching great players and teams around the country without abandoning support for their local or regional team.

No idea how to respond to this so it gets a :thumbup:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
David Irving missed almost the entire year, including camp, over a divorce and an injury that was supposed to be a 4-6 week injury.

I get divorce may be brutal mentally, but he also stayed away from the Star most of the year. It wasn't just weed that kept him away. He wanted to not be here
Yeah Im sure that the whole weed drug test policy had zero to do with it too. He knew a suspension was coming and so did the Cowboys. Besides all that McCarthy has seen first hand what this guy is capable of.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I agree with his points, and I'm not even a smoker.

With that being said, even if the NFL were to become more lenient on marijuana, I still don't think he'd return. He was a freak but never seemed passionate about football.

Sad too, he could have been great!

This. The passion to play has to be there and there is no indication that he wants to get back in the trenches.

Hayseed

Reaction score
Mostly because of our fans who have hopped on around the country. Remember they abandoned their local or regional teams.
I normally agree with you, but this post is wrong headed. Without our national fanbase the Cowboys are nothing anymore. Were Detroit. Im a life long Wisconsinite and let me tell ya, your theory is actually opposite of reality. Think about it,....for the past almost 25 years the Packers have been far superior to us, some would say head and shoulders above the cowboys, and yet I didnt abandon my team. In some ways it could be said that we are actually better fans than locals. I have traveled to nine different games in Dallas. Much more time consuming and expensive than someone living in state. To top it all off,...it was the team itself in the earlier years that PUSHED for the national market. They came to US,...we didnt come to THEM. When I was a kid they were on tv up here just about every Sunday,...thats how I became a fan. Never did follow the Packers. You are wayyyyyy off base here.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah Im sure that the whole weed drug test policy had zero to do with it too. He knew a suspension was coming and so did the Cowboys. Besides all that McCarthy has seen first hand what this guy is capable of.

Is that why Jerry was hoping he come back for the Rams game and asking the coaches to play him?
Why would Jerry lobby the coaches to play a guy that was going to be suspended, unless he wasn't at that time?

sunalsorises

Reaction score
If he truly wants to play then maybe a fresh start with a new coaching staff is just what he needs. Maybe it is worth a call
You knew something wasn’t right with NY fans all around you.

I was about 10-12 years old when Unitas and Namath were childhood idols and Cowboys hadn’t won squat but we didn’t begin rooting for their teams above ours.

We simply were infatuated with their talent and enjoyed watching them play jealous they weren’t on our team.

That doesn’t mean you don’t still root for your home town team to win. I’ll just never understand that . It goes against everything I was ever taught to be as a sports fan .

Thank goodness all the Cleveland and Detroit type fans didn’t all hop on winners or these leagues wouldn’t be able to survive without the local support.

I grew up in the Philadelphia region. Due to the blackout rule the Eagles were often blacked out. They were not very good. It was right before Dick Vermeil took over. Dallas was on TV a lot so for me, that was the team I watched/"local" team. I was around 6 years old. The Eagles became good and even made a Super Bowl but by then I was already a Cowboys fan. The TV thing flipped in the 80's (especially the late 80's). The Eagles never got blacked out and Dallas was on TV only 3 or 4 times per season (once on Thanksgiving, twice vs the Eagles and maybe one other token game). I stuck with them, though.

As I got older my father took me to see the 76ers and Phillies at the Spectrum and Vet. I became fans of those teams but I never flipped over to the Eagles.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he truly wants to play then maybe a fresh start with a new coaching staff is just what he needs. Maybe it is worth a call

I grew up in the Philadelphia region. Due to the blackout rule the Eagles were often blacked out. They were not very good. It was right before Dick Vermeil took over. Dallas was on TV a lot so for me, that was the team I watched/"local" team. I was around 6 years old. The Eagles became good and even made a Super Bowl but by then I was already a Cowboys fan. The TV thing flipped in the 80's (especially the late 80's). The Eagles never got blacked out and Dallas was on TV only 3 or 4 times per season (once on Thanksgiving, twice vs the Eagles and maybe one other token game). I stuck with them, though.

As I got older my father took me to see the 76ers and Phillies at the Spectrum and Vet. I became fans of those teams but I never flipped over to the Eagles.
Actually all the Egirls road games would have still been televised. Before the NFL blackout rule took into effect in 1973 all home games were blackout out in local areas.

But your dilemma is a perfect example of the abandoned fandom I’ve referred to with your local team not being very good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I normally agree with you, but this post is wrong headed. Without our national fanbase the Cowboys are nothing anymore. Were Detroit. Im a life long Wisconsinite and let me tell ya, your theory is actually opposite of reality. Think about it,....for the past almost 25 years the Packers have been far superior to us, some would say head and shoulders above the cowboys, and yet I didnt abandon my team. In some ways it could be said that we are actually better fans than locals. I have traveled to nine different games in Dallas. Much more time consuming and expensive than someone living in state. To top it all off,...it was the team itself in the earlier years that PUSHED for the national market. They came to US,...we didnt come to THEM. When I was a kid they were on tv up here just about every Sunday,...thats how I became a fan. Never did follow the Packers. You are wayyyyyy off base here.
And that’s what we should have become in the last 25 years which would have forced Jerry’s hand.

Imagine if all fans across the country abandoned their team. The league wouldn’t be able to survive without their local attendance and viewership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’ve read some pretty stupid and ignorant stuff on this board in the last 20 years but this has to be THE most idiotic post I’ve read
It’s actually help create one of the most idiotic fan bases in the country while indirectly supporting a horrid ownership that might have fizzled out without it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Where does it say you're stuck rooting for the home team?

What if you live in a state without a pro team?
What if there's more than one team in your state?
What if you're born in Miami but live in Buffalo?
What if you had NFL Ticket when you were a kid?
Who would you pick then, Namath or Unitas?
There are some exceptions.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Mostly because of our fans who have hopped on around the country. Remember they abandoned their local or regional teams.
Welcome to the United States pal, we have the freedom to root for whatever team we deem. Not sure where you're from, but thats the way it is here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There you go again with that “I’m better because I’m local” CRAP! That’s so arrogant and wrong, I’m amazed you have any friends!
This always strikes a nerve with fans. And it’s not about being better fans.

Its about the basis of sports fandom which its financial survival is based on local and regional attendance and viewership.

And look what I was responding to initially. The wagon fans the Cowboys have created has made us the biggest and worst fan base. Don’t have these issues in Cleveland and Detroit for example.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Idiotic.....Like the fan who thinks a fan's location matters?
I’m not speaking to it individually . As I’ve often stated over the years I’ve met some great fans from afar. But they all admit they did abandon their local or regional team.

My issue is with the cumulative effect it has on our fan base. And the effects could have on leagues if everyone did. It’s not the natural process sports was intended. Step back and take a broader view.

And I’m arguing it’s created a different mindset and fan base opposed to other cities. Plus it’s provided Jerry a continued financial base when our locals might have forced his hand without it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I’d argue their fandom is more insulting to their local or regional teams.

I can’t imagine being from and living in Dallas area and being a NY fan.

Namath was one of my Idols as a kid but I didn’t abort the Cowboys to be a Jets fan. I simply enjoyed watching him play and infatuated with his talent and success.

Fans can enjoy watching great players and teams around the country without abandoning support for their local or regional team.

And I would argue that it takes more testicular fortitude for some of our fans that continue to rep the Star even in hostile environments like Philly, NY and DC just to name a few. Its the easy path to join the crowd in ones own backyard rather than be the oddball Cowboys fan

Watching the great Cowboys teams of the 70's, there was an instant bond by some of us and we are proud to still feel it. A lot of us could have easily chosen the Steelers as well with the success they have had, but they are the dark side and the Cowboys colors are the shining light that will always endure