If I'm McCarthy I go get this ex-Cowboy back

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I would argue that it takes more testicular fortitude for some of our fans that continue to rep the Star even in hostile environments like Philly, NY and DC just to name a few. Its the easy path to join the crowd in ones own backyard rather than be the oddball Cowboys fan

Watching the great Cowboys teams of the 70's, there was an instant bond by some of us and we are proud to still feel it. A lot of us could have easily chosen the Steelers as well with the success they have had, but they are the dark side and the Cowboys colors are the shining light that will always endure
I’d argue anyone who has abandoned their local or regional team goes against the basis of what fandom represents. And if the entire country followed suit the financial foundation would erode.

Hadenough

Reaction score
And I would argue that it takes more testicular fortitude for some of our fans that continue to rep the Star even in hostile environments like Philly, NY and DC just to name a few. Its the easy path to join the crowd in ones own backyard rather than be the oddball Cowboys fan

Watching the great Cowboys teams of the 70's, there was an instant bond by some of us and we are proud to still feel it. A lot of us could have easily chosen the Steelers as well with the success they have had, but they are the dark side and the Cowboys colors are the shining light that will always endure
Thats a good way of looking at it! Its much easier to be a sheep and follow the heard than to be a lone wolf and fight off the wolf pack.

shabazz

Reaction score
I’d argue anyone who has abandoned their local or regional team goes against the basis of what fandom represents. And if the entire country followed suit the financial foundation would erode.

Ya cant help who or what you fall in love with. For us interlopers or infidels, its the Dallas Cowboys

I decided long ago
Never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ya cant help who or what you fall in love with. For us interlopers or infidels, its the Dallas Cowboys

I decided long ago
Never to walk in anyone's shadows
If I fail, if I succeed
At least I'll live as I believe
No matter what they take from me
They can't take away my dignity
I didn’t say you couldn’t love watching other players or teams. But we shouldn’t abandon our local and regional teams which the sum depends on our financial support.

Imagine if you abandoned other local business and entities. You’d lose the base and convenience all around you.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Where does it say you're stuck rooting for the home team?

What if you live in a state without a pro team?
What if there's more than one team in your state?
What if you're born in Miami but live in Buffalo?
What if you had NFL Ticket when you were a kid?
Who would you pick then, Namath or Unitas?

Agreed. And what if you don't think very highly of the hometown that you're stuck in? Nor its team?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’m not speaking to it individually . As I’ve often stated over the years I’ve met some great fans from afar. But they all admit they did abandon their local or regional team.

My issue is with the cumulative effect it has on our fan base. And the effects could have on leagues if everyone did. It’s not the natural process sports was intended. Step back and take a broader view.

And I’m arguing it’s created a different mindset and fan base opposed to other cities. Plus it’s provided Jerry a continued financial base when our locals might have forced his hand without it.
BS they admitted that. That's just the more arrogant thing to suggest. Here's a couple of facts that may help you understand.
One, not everyone lives in or near a NFL marketed franchise.\
Two, as I did, some fans became fans right out of the gate. I grew up in Las Vegas. I was a Cowboys fan because of some of my neighborhood friends. Did I abandon LA or Arizona?
Just off the wall and inaccurate.

More "World according to Greg" nonsense.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Actually all the Egirls road games would have still been televised. Before the NFL blackout rule took into effect in 1973 all home games were blackout out in local areas.

But your dilemma is a perfect example of the abandoned fandom I’ve referred to with your local team not being very good.

Not necessarily. Dallas was on TV way more than the Eagles. You are correct, though, that the Eagles were never on. As a 6-year-old, I did not have much say over my schedule so when I sat in front of the TV to watch football Dallas was on and the
Actually all the Egirls road games would have still been televised. Before the NFL blackout rule took into effect in 1973 all home games were blackout out in local areas.

But your dilemma is a perfect example of the abandoned fandom I’ve referred to with your local team not being very good.

My dilemma is an example of how the Cowboys have marketed themselves to capture a national audience. They did not get the nickname America's Team for nothing. When my daughter was 6 she had no idea how far away Dallas. She had no idea how far away Australia is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Dallas was on TV way more than the Eagles. You are correct, though, that the Eagles were never on. As a 6-year-old, I did not have much say over my schedule so when I sat in front of the TV to watch football Dallas was on and the

My dilemma is an example of how the Cowboys have marketed themselves to capture a national audience. They did not get the nickname America's Team for nothing. When my daughter was 6 she had no idea how far away Dallas. She had no idea how far away Australia is.
Cowboys didn’t market themselves initially. They were a great team and the networks broadcast more of their games.

Im not saying you couldn’t watch and enjoy but why was it necessary to stop rooting for your local team.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Cowboys didn’t market themselves initially. They were a great team and the networks broadcast more of their games.

Im not saying you couldn’t watch and enjoy but why was it necessary to stop rooting for your local team.

My point is, I never rooted for my home team. I simply watched Dallas more and my 6-year-old self just identified them as the home team. I did not understand blackouts and road games and the fact that Veterans stadium was actually closer to my house than Texas Stadium. I did not listen to local sports radio and I certainly did not read the sports section. I only know that when I watched football, Dallas was the team that was on.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
BS they admitted that. That's just the more arrogant thing to suggest. Here's a couple of facts that may help you understand.
One, not everyone lives in or near a NFL marketed franchise.\
Two, as I did, some fans became fans right out of the gate. I grew up in Las Vegas. I was a Cowboys fan because of some of my neighborhood friends. Did I abandon LA or Arizona?
Just off the wall and inaccurate.

More "World according to Greg" nonsense.
I’ve stated there are exceptions. There is a large fan fan base in Vegas.Theres also a large Texas retirees in Nevada and Arizona.

Perhaps the NFL should have all of their teams in one state or area so fans can choose who they like Without loyalty to local dependency on viewership and attendance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I’ve stated there are exceptions. There is a large fan fan base in Vegas.Theres also a large Texas retirees in Nevada and Arizona.

Perhaps the NFL should have all of their teams in one state or area so fans can choose who they like Without loyalty to local dependency on viewership and attendance.
That's a bizarre statement. I make half a dozen Cowboys games a year, give or take. I don't need your obscure opinion on fan loyalty. And I live in the North East.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I hear you.

The unknown right now is really confusing a lot of the mentally challenged among us.

It is frightening, actually.

I want to chalk it up to just fear of the unknown since Garrett is gone.

But I fear the stupidity factor runs far deeper than that.
It do...

JohnBoy

Reaction score
The success of the Cowboys brand is more than just the "America's Team" crap (which I've always hated) and the fact that they get so much national TV coverage, always play on T-Day, etc. It's the colors, motif, name, it's partly Texas itself. It's the romantic perception of American Westernism, pioneers on the frontier, and also the whole Dallas lifestyle. In some ways Dallas is more "heartland" than any other venue in the nation. It's the vision of the rugged individualism of the cowboy on the ranch, man vs. nature.

There is so much more to this than just Jerry's (or Tex's) "genius marketing".

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My point is, I never rooted for my home team. I simply watched Dallas more and my 6-year-old self just identified them as the home team. I did not understand blackouts and road games and the fact that Veterans stadium was actually closer to my house than Texas Stadium. I did not listen to local sports radio and I certainly did not read the sports section. I only know that when I watched football, Dallas was the team that was on.
Why wouldn’t you root for your home football team? You haven’t abandoned the rest of your local teams.

Im not sure why fans can’t be infatuated with teams and players from afar while still supporting their local team.

I know many who do love watching other players and teams including myself without abandoning locally. It’s the very definition of wagon fans.

I haven’t heard anyone address this core issue?

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Marihuana is a gateway drug to harder drugs.
Two sniffs of marijuana and next day you want meth. Then you are selling aunt Calperinia's window shades and garage awnings to satisfy your "needs."

Yeah I've seen what getting high and groovy comes to.
Dont you make the same mistake!:angry:
:lmao2:

ESisback

Reaction score
This always strikes a nerve with fans. And it’s not about being better fans.

Its about the basis of sports fandom which its financial survival is based on local and regional attendance and viewership.

And look what I was responding to initially. The wagon fans the Cowboys have created has made us the biggest and worst fan base. Don’t have these issues in Cleveland and Detroit for example.

It DOESN’T MATTER what it’s about or what your intent is! It offends the millions of fans that DON’T live within a 40 or 50 mile radius of the stadium. Many have been fans from the beginning, and they’ve watched the games, bought the swag, stressed over losses, obsessed over stats and factoids and news, wore their colors, and basically “defended the faith” debating countless hateful or snarky or misinformed morons. Then some pompous, arrogant hometown clown comes along blabbing nonsense about bandwagon fans...UP YOURS!

I salute ALL Cowboy fans worldwide, ALL on equal ground! Loud and proud and loyal and in many cases, BETTER fans because those of us scattered around have to fight much harder for the Star.