If I'm McCarthy I go get this ex-Cowboy back

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It DOESN’T MATTER what it’s about or what your intent is! It offends the millions of fans that DON’T live within a 40 or 50 mile radius of the stadium. Many have been fans from the beginning, and they’ve watched the games, bought the swag, stressed over losses, obsessed over stats and factoids and news, wore their colors, and basically “defended the faith” debating countless hateful or snarky or misinformed morons. Then some pompous, arrogant hometown clown comes along blabbing nonsense about bandwagon fans...UP YOURS!

I salute ALL Cowboy fans worldwide, ALL on equal ground! Loud and proud and loyal and in many cases, BETTER fans because those of us scattered around have to fight much harder for the Star.
It should offend the locals there who have been abandoned. Do you abandon all local teams or just the ones who suked when you begin watching?

ESisback

Reaction score
Mostly because of our fans who have hopped on around the country. Remember they abandoned their local or regional teams.
I “hopped on” 50+ years ago, and I’m just as fervent as you. There’s no level of fan that’s better simply because of geography. Many are more intense, but you’ll have that with anything. Reactions vary.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I “hopped on” 50+ years ago, and I’m just as fervent as you. There’s no level of fan that’s better simply because of geography. Many are more intense, but you’ll have that with anything. Reactions vary.
It’s not about being better fans. Many afar fans I’ve met are better fans than local fans . Again you’ve missed my meaning because you’re feelings are hurt. Step back and take a broader view.

What would happen if all fans abandoned their local teams? Sports couldn’t exist with a nation full of wagon fans.

ESisback

Reaction score
It should offend the locals there who have been abandoned. Do you abandon all local teams or just the ones who suked when you begin watching?

NYC contains a much higher percentage of super intense Yankee fans than anywhere else, but it wouldn’t surprise me if THE most intense Yankee fan of them all resided in Utah. Is he just “bandwagon” because he can’t walk to “The House That RUTH Built”? Is he somehow less? Of course not! Screw your judgemental (and erroneous) condescension!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
NYC contains a much higher percentage of super intense Yankee fans than anywhere else, but it wouldn’t surprise me if THE most intense Yankee fan of them all resided in Utah. Is he just “bandwagon” because he can’t walk to “The House That RUTH Built”? Is he somehow less? Of course not! Screw your judgemental (and erroneous) condescension!
You still don’t get it.

It’s not about their level of fandom.

ESisback

Reaction score
It’s not about being better fans. Many afar fans I’ve met are better fans than local fans . Again you’ve missed my meaning because you’re feelings are hurt. Step back and take a broader view.

What would happen if all fans abandoned their local teams? Sports couldn’t exist with a nation full of wagon fans.
The label ‘wagon fans’ is negative and offensive, and your point is moot, because local fans have and always will exist.

Feelings hurt?!? Gosh, Mr. Robot, imagine that! You can’t spout whatever nonsense you want without any kind of negative reaction! Amazing!

ESisback

Reaction score
You still don’t get it.

It’s not about their level of fandom.

Evidently not. Try having a totally objective third party read your posts, then ask them if they detect any judgemental phrases or condescension.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The label ‘wagon fans’ is negative and offensive, and your point is moot, because local fans have and always will exist.

Feelings hurt?!? Gosh, Mr. Robot, imagine that! You can’t spout whatever nonsense you want without any kind of negative reaction! Amazing!
You’ve abandoned your local team. I’m sure you feel the wrath of backlash there.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you root for your home football team? You haven’t abandoned the rest of your local teams.

Im not sure why fans can’t be infatuated with teams and players from afar while still supporting their local team.

I know many who do love watching other players and teams including myself without abandoning locally. It’s the very definition of wagon fans.

I haven’t heard anyone address this core issue?

I understand your question. I'm not sure I can help you. I got into the Cowboys before I was cognitively aware of home teams. Dallas became my home team, in a sense, and it seemed more of a bandwagon move to switch back to my actual home team when I realized the Eagles were actually the home team for my region. My other home teams (basketball and baseball) I did not begin following until I was a little older and more aware of the concept of home teams and being able to go and see them and interact with them. My father never took me to an Eagles game for whatever reason but he did for the Phillies and Sixers so I also became invested in them in that way as well. Yes. It is a little odd that I formed a football allegiance with a team in Texas when I was so young but that is where I am.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Evidently not. Try having a totally objective third party read your posts, then ask them if they detect any judgemental phrases or condescension.
Perhaps words alone don’t describe it as well as my intentions. Plus our history clouds it as well.

I have met and maintained several Cowboy friends from afar traveling with the Cowboys and they agree that sports financial foundation is based on the local support .

And the fact they abandoned their local team is a definition of wagon fans but has nothing to do with how great of fans they are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I formed a bond with my other local teams because I invested in them. My father actually took me to games. I went early to try to meet the players and get autographs

I understand your question. I'm not sure I can help you. I got into the Cowboys before I was cognitively aware of home teams. Dallas became my home team, in a sense, and it seemed more of a bandwagon move to switch back to my actual home team when I realized the Eagles were actually the home team for my region. My other home teams (basketball and baseball) I did not begin following until I was a little older and more aware of the concept of home teams and being able to go and see them and interact with them. My father never took me to an Eagles game for whatever reason but he did for the Phillies and Sixers so I also became invested in them in that way as well. Yes. It is a little odd that I formed a football allegiance with a team in Texas when I was so young but that is where I am.
At least you agree it’s odd and out of the normal you have in your other fandoms.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I would like to see and end to the yearly reports of "[player X] is suspended for [y] games for violating the league's substance abuse policy." In other words, no.

ESisback

Reaction score
You’ve abandoned your local team. I’m sure you feel the wrath of backlash there.
I became a Dallas fan over 50 years ago, and like any NORMAL fan, it was because of the Star, the uniform, the coach and players. My older brother was a fan first, and not one time since has ANYONE expressed disappointment that I ‘abandoned’ the local team. I’ve never had to endure the “wrath of backlash” because of geography. I HAVE endured more snark and hateful comments and debates because a higher percentage of local fans resent the hype and attention given my team. I haven’t “abandoned” the local team, because NO ONE CARED! However, I WILL get a reaction from non fans when I wear my colors. The most iconic figures/teams have plenty of detractors who resent their relevance.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I became a Dallas fan over 50 years ago, and like any NORMAL fan, it was because of the Star, the uniform, the coach and players. My older brother was a fan first, and not one time since has ANYONE expressed disappointment that I ‘abandoned’ the local team. I’ve never had to endure the “wrath of backlash” because of geography. I HAVE endured more snark and hateful comments and debates because a higher percentage of local fans resent the hype and attention given my team.
That’s the wrath I’m speaking of. Just another example how typed words don’t always express intent.

Did it ever occur to you why everyone didn’t hop on the Cowboys wagon up there?

ESisback

Reaction score
At least you agree it’s odd and out of the normal you have in your other fandoms.

But see, it’s only odd to you. There are FAR MORE Dallas fans living elsewhere, many of which are more intense and loyal and obsessed than you or I.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But see, it’s only odd to you. There are FAR MORE Dallas fans living elsewhere, many of which are more intense and loyal and obsessed than you or I.
I’m not arguing that point. I see you still don’t get it.

ESisback

Reaction score
That’s the wrath I’m speaking of. Just another example how typed words don’t always express intent.

Did it ever occur to you why everyone didn’t hop on the Cowboys wagon up there?

No, it didn’t, and I don’t care why! All I know is your words come off as condescending.

I DO know that I’ve wasted too much time “debating” this. I have things to do! It’s been swell.