If I'm McCarthy I go get this ex-Cowboy back

ESisback

Reaction score
I understand but the strength of the league is it’s Equal TV Revenue sharing.

It’s been the benchmark of parity and success in small market venues which without, the league wouldn’t have been able to expand its market and overall revenue.

It’s the only league where every team is profitable which is healthy for all 32 teams which broadens the TV contracts and appeal nationwide.

I’m old enough to recall a 12 team league in NFL and it simply wasn’t as appealing and why College Football was king back then with broader national appeal.

Baseball USED TO BE the National Pastime, but fell off for two reasons:
1)Revenue sharing doesn’t inspire the have-nots (Pittsburgh, Oakland) to put a quality product on the field.
2)The game is too slow for impatient, instant gratification types with shrinking attention spans.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
This. The passion to play has to be there and there is no indication that he wants to get back in the trenches.

His heart is in the drugs, not in football. You could say any love he had previously for football all went up in "smoke".

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Hes a pothead who made his fortune in football! You dont know if hes making money on this or not. It just sounds like fluff to be. He's on a crusade to change the world...…....

…...to support and justify his addiction.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Baseball USED TO BE the National Pastime, but fell off for two reasons:
1)Revenue sharing doesn’t inspire the have-nots to put a quality product on the field.
2)The game is too slow for impatient, instant gratification types with shrinking attention spans.

Exactly. It takes away the incentive. Try telling your teenage son you want to share your personal revenue equally with him, and watch what happens to his incentive to go out and find a job. :laugh::lmao2:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
You knew something wasn’t right with NY fans all around you.

I was about 10-12 years old when Unitas and Namath were childhood idols and Cowboys hadn’t won squat but we didn’t begin rooting for their teams above ours.

We simply were infatuated with their talent and enjoyed watching them play jealous they weren’t on our team.

That doesn’t mean you don’t still root for your home town team to win. I’ll just never understand that . It goes against everything I was ever taught to be as a sports fan .

Thank goodness all the Cleveland and Detroit type fans didn’t all hop on winners or these leagues wouldn’t be able to survive without the local support.
Sorry but your going in way too deep - your assuming things and painting with a broad brush.

Do you really think that a 5 or 6 year old knows the concept of "abandoning their home town team" - cmon now.

And if you want to take your thinking to the next level...here in NY we got a whole lotta people from diff states working and opening up businesses - are all them "traitors" to their state?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sorry but your going in way too deep - your assuming things and painting with a broad brush.

Do you really think that a 5 or 6 year old knows the concept of "abandoning their home town team" - cmon now.

And if you want to take your thinking to the next level...here in NY we got a whole lotta people from diff states working and opening up businesses - are all them "traitors" to their state?
There’s always exceptions. You guys are taking it too literally.

Fans bringing their fandom with them is one of the biggest ones.

And you must have had some outside influence at 5 or 6 from siblings or parents. My earliest memories of watching Cowboys or really any football or sports was probably 7 or 8. I recall watching Mantle and the Yankees before watching football on TV.

Last edited:

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Buzzbait

Reaction score

NYC, Dallas is very much the same in that respect. We have people here from everywhere, and I see people wearing hats, Tshirts, bumper stickers, etc sporting other NFL teams all the time. Dallas is like that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
David Irving was a wrecking machine on defense for us, in case any of you are choosing not to remember. His problem was staying eligible because of marijuana use. If that obstacle somehow disappears and he wants to play, I’d give him a shot. He was the key to our pass rush - more so than Demarcus Lawrence even, IMO.

Otherwise, I don’t ever remember him being a malcontent. He’s no Rolando McClain.
he isnt a robot, he is out of shape living the easy life getting high.
And he has not been playing, it might take a whole season or more for him to get in shape and get in a groove again.

And on top of that he doesnt want to play football.
Once a player goes a year or more without playing they are not the same anymore.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Just no. Of all the things that come out of the new coaching regime, the one thing I am hoping for most is that the organisation avoids all players with mental or physical health issues and/or pending legal or suspension issues. No more projects. Just sign players that are LIKELY to be available for every game and actually WANT to play every game. I'd rather have 53 good players focused and ready to go than 53 great players with issues and distractions and alternative agenda's.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Just no. Of all the things that come out of the new coaching regime, the one thing I am hoping for most is that the organisation avoids all players with mental or physical health issues and/or pending legal or suspension issues. No more projects. Just sign players that are LIKELY to be available for every game and actually WANT to play every game. I'd rather have 53 good players focused and ready to go than 53 great players with issues and distractions and alternative agenda's.

I'd go for that, no more "projects". ;)

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Lol. You want this to happen with a senile owner who's more mental than the players he brings aboard.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Inconsistent. Unreliable. Selfish. More career suspensions than meaningful games played. Just the kind of guy you want to build around. Get er done Jerruh.