If Jason Garrett goes, so should Dak Prescott

Kaiser

Reaction score
All Dallas Head Coaches - current and future - should have moderator rights here and be able to ban people for starting dumb threads.

visionary

Reaction score
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.

Jason Garrett's not doing

So......

Hey, that was easy

visionary

Reaction score
All Dallas Head Coaches - current and future - should have moderator rights here and be able to ban people for starting dumb threads.

Garrett is a caricature of a HC not a real one so he doesn't count

pansophy

Reaction score
Weird take. If Dak goes with Garrett it amounts to a tacit admission that your HC didn't get the QB play he needed to succeed. Kinda flies in the face of the notion that this team has everything it needs and just needs the coaching to get the most out of it.

I'm with Stash: let the replacement coach decide what happens with Dak. Realistically, that's not happening either. I think this FO is wedded to Dak for the foreseeable future.
Agree with this -- also if Dak signs an extension this conversation is moot and Dak will be here a long time no matter who is coaching.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That head coach, if Dak has a third mediocre season in a row, would choose to take on the Dak experiment rather than grabbing a first round talent?

Again, yeah this could happen, but I then question if we grabbed the best HC for the job.

Then it sounds like you simply want Dak gone no matter what and will question anyone who might see things differently, be it a fan or the next head coach.

Brax

Reaction score
Our next head coach will have nothing to do with Dak, any other player or any other coach. He will be the best fit for being a JJ YES man. That’s all that matters in this insanity we call a pro football team.
JJ believes this offense will improve greatly with KM as OC. Even if its a bad year and JG gets the axe no reason Dak should unless he implodes this year, like him or not JJ believes in him, if he isn't extended this year then all bets are off and anything can happen at seasons end. If JG is let go it will not natter what a new HC wants, the only qualification to be a HC in Dallas is being able to say yes Mr. Jones.
From NFL.com JJ speaks about this years expectations and they are pretty lofty.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ry-jones-no-reason-cowboys-shouldnt-be-better

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Prescott is extended and assuming he has just an OK season, and Garrett is not retained, the feeling is that would hinder the team's chances of bringing in some high caliber coaches? A coach wouldn't want to be saddled with a QB he didn't pick? How many get to pick their own?

Let's start with why any HC would take the job, money. These HC's go where the money is and if they have to deal with a QB they'd rather not have, that's part of the job.

As far as attaching Garrett to Prescott, do we know if he even wanted him? I've never seen any one person that was on the Dak wagon but Wade Wilson and they promptly let him walk. They tried for two QB's ahead of him and settled on Prescott. That worked out well and provided "gee, aren't they drafting geniuses" to the Joneses so he's an ego player for them.

In order to put a HC in the position to pick his own, they would have to not extend Prescott and have a losing season putting them in a position to get a new QB. And that would also put the best QB HC in line for the HC job. Another situation like they have in AZ maybe with Riley in DAL?

erod

Reaction score
Dak stood up and supported Jerry through tough public scrutiny. He's going nowhere soon.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Then it sounds like you simply want Dak gone no matter what and will question anyone who might see things differently, be it a fan or the next head coach.

This is wrong - this is all built around if Dak has another mediocre season, the same with Garrett. That's not "no matter what" - If Garrett say takes us to the Championship and Dak improves upon his play and looks like a top 10 QB or that he could be in the near future, I believe both would have a reasonable argument to be extended.

However, if Dak looks mediocre yet again - that's 3 out of his 4 seasons (which would be 3 in a row), where he hasn't played above being a middling QB.

Like I said, this situation is different - it's not like the HC would be stuck with Dak. There would be no contract, and there would be choices within the draft to move on.

Though, the excuses for Dak are a little more understandable - I don't get the excuses for Garrett being made. Being here over a decade and 9 seasons as your HC, enough would be enough.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.
Dak may not necessarily be gone...but they may just tag him for a year. any new coach, would want to have a say in his QB and probably evaluate for himself.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is wrong - this is all built around if Dak has another mediocre season, the same with Garrett. That's not "no matter what" - If Garrett say takes us to the Championship and Dak improves upon his play and looks like a top 10 QB or that he could be in the near future, I believe both would have a reasonable argument to be extended.

However, if Dak looks mediocre yet again - that's 3 out of his 4 seasons (which would be 3 in a row), where he hasn't played above being a middling QB.

Like I said, this situation is different - it's not like the HC would be stuck with Dak. There would be no contract, and there would be choices within the draft to move on.

Though, the excuses for Dak are a little more understandable - I don't get the excuses for Garrett being made. Being here over a decade and 9 seasons as your HC, enough would be enough.

I'm not going to debate your use of "mediocre". But it sounds like you're now saying what the rest of us gave. Let the next coach decide.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett's had his shot, with now TWO QBs ( Romo and Dak ) and couldn't get it done. Dak not so much, let's give him a little more time.

LOL...year 4 coming up with a fully loaded offense roster hmmmm ya lets give Dak 4 more years and see if he grows into that Franchise QB .....in the meantime nature as it always does will have taken its toll on that Stud Talent that surrounds him!
Sometimes I wonder about you Dak supporters :omg:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If Prescott is extended and assuming he has just an OK season, and Garrett is not retained, the feeling is that would hinder the team's chances of bringing in some high caliber coaches? A coach wouldn't want to be saddled with a QB he didn't pick? How many get to pick their own?

Let's start with why any HC would take the job, money. These HC's go where the money is and if they have to deal with a QB they'd rather not have, that's part of the job.

As far as attaching Garrett to Prescott, do we know if he even wanted him? I've never seen any one person that was on the Dak wagon but Wade Wilson and they promptly let him walk. They tried for two QB's ahead of him and settled on Prescott. That worked out well and provided "gee, aren't they drafting geniuses" to the Joneses so he's an ego player for them.

In order to put a HC in the position to pick his own, they would have to not extend Prescott and have a losing season putting them in a position to get a new QB. And that would also put the best QB HC in line for the HC job. Another situation like they have in AZ maybe with Riley in DAL?

I would imagine we'd be bring in an HC before the extension given to Prescott, unless as I stated, he has a great season. Like I said, this situation is not an HC coming in with a QB mid-contract, the HC would be in the position to put himself in position to get a first round QB and not get stuck with the Walmart version of Alex Smith for a number of years.

And I don't know and don't care if Garrett had Prescott as his first choice - Prescott was grabbed as a backup project. Unless there is a story of the Jones forcing Garrett's hand, Garrett chose to start Prescott over Romo once Romo was healthy. So yes, it was his guy at some point. And even still, Garrett is in charge of getting these players prepared and helping to put a staff around the players to get the best out of them. I don't get the weird excuses being made for Garrett here - he has far less excuses than Prescott.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LOL...year 4 coming up with a fully loaded offense roster hmmmm ya lets give Dak 4 more years and see if he grows into that Franchise QB .....in the meantime nature as it always does will have taken its toll on that Stud Talent that surrounds him!
Sometimes I wonder about you Dak supporters :omg:

They are begging for the Jay Cutler experience.