If Jason Garrett goes, so should Dak Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Id actually like to see what another proven HC and or OC could do with Dak.

My ideal offensive guru would be Art Briles. He has that type of brilliant creativity to possibly develop an offensive passing attack to fit Daks skill set. We need something out of the norm.

cowboyec

Reaction score
look at our most recent draft....lotta 2020 talk and "raw traits"......does it look like they're moving on from Garrett???...looks like they're pointing to the future.

irishline

Reaction score
Let's see....if I divorce my wife, the kids are going with her. Hmmmmmmm. Jerry's not getting rid of the children, only the dad.

That reply would mean more if you could trade or cut your children and sign or draft (hopefully) better ones in their place...

I agree with others if Garrett goes it should be up to his replacement as to what happens with Dak. That said, I am under no delusion that is what is going to happen, but it should be.

Blackrain

Reaction score
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.

They could both spit the bit or Dak could continue to improve and Garrett be the same as he has been for 10 yrs . I do not see any dramatic improvement in Garrett this year . But If the oline is top 5 or the best in football as it has the potential to be both Dak and Garrett could look good .

No matter what happens Jerry has hitched his wagon to both and we have no control of his hobby . They are here to stay IMO so I have adjusted my expectations accordingly

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Oh I agree but even in Zona, there's a piece on MMQB site where their GM admitted the whole Murray/Rosen saga was his decision 100%. He was of complimentary of his head coach for never once pushing for on QB over the other one.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing ( so to speak) whether or not it "should" be the coaches decision. Just it's highly unlikely to happen with Jerry, Stephen, and McClay.....

Not sure I believe that story out of Zona. I think that’s probably exactly what a GM would/should say. But it’s unprecedented to draft a QB in the top ten one year only to turn around the next and draft a QB at #1 overall. The guy that just happened to be your new HC’s QB in that fancy new offense that was basically the reason you hired him. Think this is face saving spin that allows the GM to reassert himself as master of the roster. Plus, he won’t want credit going to someone else when Murray blows up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing that Garrett and Prescott share, a lack of respect. Neither is the best HC or QB we've ever had but a long way from the worst.

I don't think the ones that don't like them want to do this but if you want to feel better about what you have, stop looking ahead of you and look behind. Plenty of teams take either one of these guys and be happy.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
One thing that Garrett and Prescott share, a lack of respect. Neither is the best HC or QB we've ever had but a long way from the worst.

I don't think the ones that don't like them want to do this but if you want to feel better about what you have, stop looking ahead of you and look behind. Plenty of teams take either one of these guys and be happy.

I'm sure the Commanders, Jags, Dolphins, etc. would love to have them. But I don't want to be them, our franchise is too important and historic to just settle.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
look at our most recent draft....lotta 2020 talk and "raw traits"......does it look like they're moving on from Garrett???...looks like they're pointing to the future.

They would have extended him if that was the case.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Garrett's had his shot, with now TWO QBs ( Romo and Dak ) and couldn't get it done. Dak not so much, let's give him a little more time.

I think you overestimate the influce of the HC in this regard.

You could also argue that Romo had his shot with 2 HCs and a couple of different QB coaches and OCs. Still he couldnt get it done.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
What? Garrett is part of the draft and team building process, Dak wasn't forced to be our starter - it's up to Garrett to help find the franchise QB. You can place blame on others as well, but good luck getting the Jones' knuckleheads from running the show. You can blame the "GM" as well, either way, someone has to go and Garrett would be the most likely in this situation.
Do you even think before you type?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Agreed with Dak.

I think Garrett fits the Cowboys in a lot of ways, and he's added stability to a franchise that often lacked it. He gets along well with Jerry, the players like him, and he's a motivator who the team doesn't easily give up on. We were 3-5 halfway through this season with Philly and Washington ahead of us, and the team didn't pack it in. Some of those mid season do-or-die games like the Saints and Eagles was where they fought the hardest.

But that being said, as far as X's and O's go, I don't think Garrett is much of a coach at all. If he got canned, I don't think his phone would be ringing off the hook unless he was asked to come in and stabilize another toxic situation.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure the Commanders, Jags, Dolphins, etc. would love to have them. But I don't want to be them, our franchise is too important and historic to just settle.
Interesting comment, I think WAS and MIA have pretty good importance and history within the NFL. But you hit on something I've been thinking about for quite some time, CC thread time. OK, y'all, hold the applause and don't plan the parade until you see it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
1. Stop drinking before posting

2. I don't think Garrett getting back to the divisional round justifies him returning, I would be hesitant to extend him if he gets to the championship, but it would be tough to let him walk if he gets to and wins a Super Bowl. I don't understand what "skills" you are referring to? The HC's job is to get the most out of each player, get them prepared - I would say getting to a Super Bowl and winning it made them pretty dang prepared

3. Depends on the reason Dak doesn't get his second contract

4. I'd extend Dak before I'd extend Zeke

1. Stop offending me before you try to get into a conversation. No need to brag with your bad education.

2. Get some education.

morat1959

Reaction score
Basically you're acknowledging that it's ultimately the fault of the Joneses - who aren't going anywhere - but you want blood so the coach will have to suffice.

That's fine, so long as you're not tricking yourself into believing the next coach is going to magically overcome the dysfunction his predecessors could not. The only thing that's changed in the last 20+ years are the revolving scapegoats, and I'll believe things are going to end differently when I actually see it at this point. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Well said and dead on point!

SackMaster

Reaction score
I'd rather not turn this into a Jay Cutler experience where we go through 3-4 coaches in hopes that the light finally comes on for Dak.
:huh:

Jay Cutler
  1. First round pick
  2. Above average to great arm
  3. Terrible attitude
  4. Did not make playoffs until 5th year
  5. Only made playoffs once in 12 years
  6. Won division once in 12 years (on his second team)
  7. Had only 1 season with a QB Rating of over 90 (92.3 in 2015, 10th year in the NFL)
  8. Has a 1.42x Career TD to Int ratio
  9. In first 3 full seasons as a starter (2nd to 4th year)
    1. Threw for 11,689 yardds
    2. Threw 72 TDs
    3. Threw 58 Ints
  10. Had a TERRIBLE attitude

Dak Prescott
  1. 4th Round Pick
  2. Mediocre to average arm
  3. Great attitude
  4. Made the playoffs in first year
  5. Made the playoffs in 2 of his first 3 years
  6. Won division twice in first 3 years (both with original team)
  7. Has only 1 season with a QB Season Rating below 96.9 (86.6 in 2017, 2nd year in the NFL, and still higher than Jay's career 85.3)
  8. Has a 2.68x Career TD to Int ratio
  9. In first 3 full seasons as a starter (Rookie to 3rd year)
    1. Threw for 10,876 yards
    2. Threw 67 TDs
    3. Threw 25 Ints
  10. Has a GREAT attitude (did I mention that already?)

Other than being nearly complete opposites, I really would like to know how their situations are even remotely similar or comparable.

I'll wait .....

In the meantime, I will just state, ya'll haters are whack and come up with the biggest B.S. excuses / comparisons.
:facepalm:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Not sure I believe that story out of Zona. I think that’s probably exactly what a GM would/should say. But it’s unprecedented to draft a QB in the top ten one year only to turn around the next and draft a QB at #1 overall. The guy that just happened to be your new HC’s QB in that fancy new offense that was basically the reason you hired him. Think this is face saving spin that allows the GM to reassert himself as master of the roster. Plus, he won’t want credit going to someone else when Murray blows up.

I'll bet they were asking Kingsbury about his preference for a QB as early as his HC interview.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed with Dak.

I think Garrett fits the Cowboys in a lot of ways, and he's added stability to a franchise that often lacked it. He gets along well with Jerry, the players like him, and he's a motivator who the team doesn't easily give up on. We were 3-5 halfway through this season with Philly and Washington ahead of us, and the team didn't pack it in. Some of those mid season do-or-die games like the Saints and Eagles was where they fought the hardest.

But that being said, as far as X's and O's go, I don't think Garrett is much of a coach at all. If he got canned, I don't think his phone would be ringing off the hook unless he was asked to come in and stabilize another toxic situation.
Could be but I think Garrett has networked very well throughout the league and his address to the importance of the PI calls getting right drew a lot of praise. I think there are several owners that would hire him and like how he presents himself.

BTW, agree with your assessment of X's and O's and situational football are just words to him. But, he does have some positives as you mentioned. Hey, Booger should hire Garrett a ACICOFS, Assistant Coach In Charge of Football ****.