CFZ If McCarthy Gets the Credit, He Also Shares the Blame

Pass2Run

Reaction score
First and foremost, this is not a fire Mike McCarthy thread. Please do no start with that. It's a discussion about accountability of the coach.

Second, this is also not a debate about Jerry. Same thing. It's not needed in this thread. This is about McCarthy, and accountability.

---

Earlier this year, McCarthy was credited for turning the team around after a harsh loss in the opener. I personally gave him credit, because he deserved it. While the Cowboys were far from perfect, he took a team that looked without an identity in week 1 and turned them into a winner in week 2 and several straight after that, propelling the Cowboys into the playoff picture early in the season, which is just now about half-way over.

How did he do it?

Well, according to his press conferences, he got back to the formula of running the ball x amount of times?

Why'd he do that?

Well, because when the Cowboys had done that before, they want the vast amount of their games. Like, over 95 percent of them, I want to say.

So why wouldn't you do that going into Green Bay?

Well, if you ask big Mike, he values "relationships." So, I kind of have a hunch that McCarthy subconsciously, and hopefully not consciously, allowed the Cowboys to slack off during the bye and not really focus on game-planning because he was busy vacationing, along with the team, while the Cowboys could have been focusing on winning, which would have told me that Mike really wanted to win, even if he lost.

But his whole VERY VERY VERY schtick after the game rubs me the wrong way.

Why?

Because he's blaming the players when this game is 100 percent on him. If we're all supposed to be giving him credit for the things he himself says he deserves credit for, then we should be giving him the blame for NOT sticking to the winning formula because that's where the blame lies. That is, if you listen to his own words during press conferences, because I listen to those to get a feel for what's going on with the team. And Mike has been subtly pandering the press for credit by telling them he made the executive decision of going back to the old formula, and away from the option routes, etcetera — with the goal of winning.

Well, they lost.

In any case, when he says "this group of guys can do it" he's deflecting blame from himself for the team's loss.

Why is he doing that?

Well, if you ask me, it's because it was his old team, Green Bay.

So, this isn't about Kellen Moore. The issue is that Kellen Moore and McCarthy passed way too much, and got away from the winning formula of running the ball. In the end, that's not on Moore. That's on McCarthy for not doing his job to rein in Moore and stick to the game plan.

Afterall, that's what he stood up to the institution early on and deserved credit for, if you asked him during a press conference.

So, let's not lay this on the players, or anyone else but McCarthy, because this one is all on him.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup.

This O has once again become a circus. Someone needs to step up and put a stop to it. And that is on the GM. Either stop it yourself, Jerry, or give Mike the power to do it.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t think he does get credit tho….most people always attribute the winning to Quinn. I agree with your premise however, he should be criticized for the losses If we praise him for wins

mardwin

Reaction score
Now we are blaming the defense, receivers, and coaches... Am I missing anyone, anyone of significance?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don’t think he does get credit tho….most people always attribute the winning to Quinn. I agree with your premise however, he should be criticized for the losses If we praise him for wins

Well, he gave his team a chance to win by reducing the amount of running plays and option routes, which apparently wasn't the case last game, and increasing the amount of runs.

Then, in this game, we can see they obviously did not do that. In essence, he was saying one thing to the press and then doing another. But indeed, running the ball is our winning formula. The Cowboys are tough to stop when they are running methodically with Zeke and mixing in Pollard, and passing, and the PA pass.

That's what he said he implemented during his press conferences after the Tampa Bay loss. So I do think there was something there, with Kellen running the ball too much. And while he didn't know the plays, and was taking heat for that, he was putting more or less a quota on how many times Moore ran the ball vs passing it. That much, he told us he was responsible for if you listened to his press conference it you could apparently see it on the field. And then, we started running and mixing up our pre-snap motions and snap counts, and looked really tough to stop on offense for a while.

And this offense can still do that. But they have to run the ball and they have to stick with what works, at least 80 percent of the time... .and they didn't do that.

Jesse Holly said it best. Any time Dak is passing the ball 46 times, you're probably not in a good spot in the game.

To me, it was self-destructive.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Now we are blaming the defense, receivers, and coaches... Am I missing anyone, anyone of significance?

Let me see . .. can we all take a guess, and if we get the answer correctly here, you give us a $100 bill?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have yet see anyone give McCarthy much credit. Quinn received most of the credit before the D pooped the bed. Now I guess it's time to blame McCarthy for a bad D.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Well, he gave his team a chance to win by reducing the amount of running plays and option routes, which apparently wasn't the case last game, and increasing the amount of runs.

Then, in this game, we can see they obviously did not do that. In essence, he was saying one thing to the press and then doing another. But indeed, running the ball is our winning formula. The Cowboys are tough to stop when they are running methodically with Zeke and mixing in Pollard, and passing, and the PA pass.

That's what he said he implemented during his press conferences after the Tampa Bay loss. So I do think there was something there, with Kellen running the ball too much. And while he didn't know the plays, and was taking heat for that, he was putting more or less a quota on how many times Moore ran the ball vs passing it. That much, he told us he was responsible for if you listened to his press conference it you could apparently see it on the field. And then, we started running and mixing up our pre-snap motions and snap counts, and looked really tough to stop on offense for a while.

And this offense can still do that. But they have to run the ball and they have to stick with what works, at least 80 percent of the time... .and they didn't do that.

Jesse Holly said it best. Any time Dak is passing the ball 46 times, you're probably not in a good spot in the game.

To me, it was self-destructive.

oh no I agree mm deserves credit. I’m just saying many here never give him any to begin with so you’re premise while correct is missing the folks giving him credit part